VA/MD/DC people, who is going to WASP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VA/MD/DC people, who is going to WASP

Well a friend of mine just called and she wants to see the american metal blast at Jaxx in VA on July 22nd, that is WASP, LA Guns, Stephen Percy and metal Church, anyone else here going?

Re: VA/MD/DC people, who is going to WASP

I've been thinking about it, although Pearcy usually makes me want to gag...
    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

As good as Metal Church was the last two times I saw them, I am not going to make it that night. I'll be working probably until 1 or 2 am. Have fun, and make sure you're on time, Metal Church will be great.
      ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Well, Blackie has cancelled WASP out of a number of gigs due to the fact that his dumbass "mic stand" will not fit into some venues, and some stages will not support it. Kurt Vanderhoof will not be playing in Metal Church. He had other commitments in the studio, so someone is replacing him. Pearcy? I haven't heard many good things about his performances... LA Guns without Tracy just doesn't interest me. I would have loved to see it, but after the initial reports I've heard, I won't even CHANCE wasting the money on it. Too bad - I would've killed to see that about a decade ago...

Comment

What's this called, the Desperation Tour? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

i've got a ticket for this show but found out they are coming to a club that only 1 hour from me instead of 4.5

if anyone wants a ticket to this show at jaxx - $20 PM me.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Dream,

If you want i will take the ticket and sell it for what i can and send you the money. I might be able to get you the full price since the show is close to selling out allready. Last time i heard there were less then 40 tickets left. So if you wan pm me and i will send you my address, you can send me the ticket, i will unload it for you and send you the money for it after the show.

Comment

Review of the show

Get to Jaxx last night and walk in the door, kinda hot in the place, within 15 minutes (as soon as everyone gets in) the tempature shoots up to probaly close to 105 degrees in the club. It was the kinda heat where you are just sitting and sweat is pooring off your body. I found out later on the AC broke in the place, i found this out by talking to a bartender, never once did the owener step up to say sorry etc.. Accroding to the bartender he never would because he feels he doesnt need too.

Then to make it worse there ice machine breaks and the owener refuses to let them buy anymore ice, so towards the last 2 hours you are getting very little ice or no ice in your drinks. I tell you now, that owner needs a big slap in the face, with the amount of heat in that place he put the bands and the people at risk, not to mention his own employess.

Now that i am done ranting, on to the show, metal church opens up, and they sounded as good as a first opening band can sound. I hate that clubs do not give opening bands the same sound quaulity as the headline act, but that is another rant for another day. I think while they were on they were very fustraited, between the heat and i think the monitors were not working well for them so they kept kicking over the Mic's on purpose. They played for about 40 minutes and Overall i really enjoyed them!

Next comes on Stephen Percy, and let me tell you, they sounded great, played every Ratt song you could want them to play and Stephen sounded good, they also played one Judas Priest song, and one other song. You could tell he was struggling sometimes to hit those super highes like he use too, but he sounded damn good. Both guitarists were pretty good and played the leads well, both used Fender guitars, the one guy Erik Ferentinos played a Tele all night and i think the other guitarist was Gilby, but i never saw his face, he played a strat all night, Erik played his splawn and the other guitarist played an older Marshall JMP that obvious was modded, they both sounded good.

Stephen did look very thin and you can tell age is taking its toll, but still kicked butt and had the place rocking, During Lack of communication this hot ass chick got up on the bar and started dancing, barly any cloths on, she was smoking hot. Ratt played well over an hour and of course finished the set with Round and Round.

LA Guns comes up next, they sounded fucking great and defintly were the best looking, age hasnt taken to much toll on them. They got a great sound check an considering they were usijng Crate Amps they sounded good. The disappointments of the night is they didnt play its over now or balled of Jane, the other disappointed was they only played for about 30 minutes which was less time then the opening band.

Now onto wasp, let me set you up for this, by the time they get on everyone has been in 105 degree tempature since 8:00PM, it is now super late and everyone is drunk and pissed off and heated up. LA Guns get off stage around 11:25PM and it took way to long to set up for wasp, they were having trouble getting only one delay on the vocals and by the time WASP actually got on stage it was about 12:30AM.

So they take the stage and WASP sounded like WASP, i was never a big fan of them and by this time of the night my friend angel and i was so hot, tired and had headaches, we left after the 4th song. Overall the 4 songs sounded good, but LA Guns definitly sounded alot better, still for 36 dollars it was a kick ass show even though i sweated about 10 gallons of water.

Now for the Ironic parts, i love how everyone is trying to buy classic 80's amps to sound the artists of the 80's, then you go see these guys in concert today and they are all using modern high gain amps and still sounding killer like they did in the 80's. Here is a brief rundown of the amps.

Metal Church
                One guy used a peavey 5150 and the other guy used a DSL100

Ratt
                As discussed in my post, one used a modded JMP and the other used a splawn.

LA Guns.
                I believe they both used Crate Amps, but i couldnt see the second guitarists stack, so i could be off. They were tube amps, i dont know the model numbers.

WASP
                The one guitarist (dont know his name) was using either a mesa dual rect or triple, he had the amp turned around and on the side of the stage, but i know it was one of them because i clearly saw the foot pedal. What Blackie used i dont know, i was kinda shocked to see him playing guitar, i thought he was the bassist! But like i said i was never a big fan so not like i followed them to know exactly what he played.

All four groups had great tone, defintly knew how to tweak there amps to get a great sound. The Ratt guys didnt have as much treble as they use to have in there songs, but still sounded killer.

Comment

Re: Review of the show

In a crowded club at 110db, no one's going to be able to distinguish a boutique amp from a 5150, so why bother? All that vintage Marshall and boutique shit is really for the studio, where it does matter.

Comment

I've heard the Jaxx owner is supposed to be a pretty cool guy, actually, though I've never met him. Story is that he started Jaxx because there weren't many places for his own band to play. It's a tough business--I think he has to schedule lots of Latino disco nights to keep it going in between the metal shows.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      In a crowded club at 110db, no one's going to be able to distinguish a boutique amp from a 5150, so why bother? All that vintage Marshall and boutique shit is really for the studio, where it does matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you in a way, anytime you run something being mic'd into a mixer you can make that amp sound so much better!

See and there are very few studio albums i like better then hearing an artist live. I love the way amps and drums and bass sound mic'd and into a good sound system, But trust me i have seen some artists going through the best PA's sound like complete ass!

Yes a PA system can make any crap amp sound better, but also in the way you EQ, but same goes with Studio, just depends on who mix's you, you can take a little crappy amp and make it sound huge! But soon as you take away mic'ing and all the mixing boards that is when you can hear a crappy amp.

Comment

cool review Siggs..

Damn I hate that shit...I went to see Iced Earth a couple years ago and it was a full house during the mid summer and it had to be well over 100 degrees in there...I couldn't take it..

Jesus Christ himself could be in there doing backflips and miracles , and I wouldn't give a rat's ass...that's how HOT it was...fuck that...

I mean ...FUCK that!!!! ...

that's the night I wore my leather pants...wrong move...I had to pry my sack off my leg with a spatula....fuck that!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          cool review Siggs..

Damn I hate that shit...I went to see Iced Earth a couple years ago and it was a full house during the mid summer and it had to be well over 100 degrees in there...I couldn't take it..

Jesus Christ himself could be in there doing backflips and miracles , and I wouldn't give a rat's ass...that's how HOT it was...fuck that...

I mean ...FUCK that!!!! ...

that's the night I wore my leather pants...wrong move...I had to pry my sack off my leg with a spatula....fuck that!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean, i sweated from parts of my body i didnt know i had [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I was lucky and at least had shorts on and just a tshirt, but still i was waiting for satan to rise from the middle of the stage and say welcome to hell!

The heat was getting to everyone, including the employees, they were just as bitchy. Wasp added a second show there this monday, but of course none of the other groups are playing with them again, so i wont be attending.

Comment

Working...
                          X