GIGANTOUR Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIGANTOUR Review

Quite a few bands didn't play due to a monsoon (big fuckin wind) that blew in during the festival. Fortunately (for me), it didn't affect any of the bands I came to see. They did throw us out of the Camel smokers tent - as it was about to blow away...

BOBAFLEX (second stage): Missed 'em - on purpose.
    [img]/images/graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

NEVERMORE (main stage): First time I've seen 'em. Loomis was going off, but the vocals were lost in the mix. Still, they were tight and kicked some serious ass. I'll have to pick up their new CD...
    [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

SYMPHONY X (second stage): Kicked. Major. Ass. They squeezed quite a bit into a 30 minute set. Minor beef - Romeo kept forgetting to turn his boost off after his solos, lol, and was burying the rest of the band. He'd remember after a few seconds, prolly after realizing HE couldn't hear the rest of the band either! Hell, I was almost close enough to reach over and hit the fuggin pedal myself...
    [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN, FEAR FACTORY, DRY KILL LOGIC, LIFE OF AGONY: Blown off the stage... literally. Big wind came in and took out power to the main stage, and was threatening to blow away the second stage.
    [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
    At the first letup in the wind, all temporary structures were torn down by the stagehands and packed. Second stage is done. Time to grab a bite, and drop a few Jack 'n Cokes...
    [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

DREAM THEATER: Great set! No ballads or slower numbers - just blistering stuff. Played about a hour. LaBrie sang better than any time I've ever heard DT - maybe because it's only the second show of the tour?)
    [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

MEGADETH: Something was.... missing. It didn't sound like Megadeth, it sounded like the Dave show covering 'Deth - if that makes any sense. Dave's tone sounded like a wet fart, and the mix sounded like crap. Steph and I have seen 'Deth a half-dozen times, and I've seen 'em an additional 3 times. Steph like to windmill (lots of hair!!) while I headbang, but we didn't do any of that during 'Deth's set. We actually left a Megadeth show early!? WTF happened?
    [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]

All in all, we had a great time. We saw some great bands and partied all day. Megadeth was a dissapointment, but not an unexpected one. We went for DT and Symph X - and they both smoked.

If you are going - be sure to check out the lineup, as it changes throughout the tour. At the beginning of Sept., Anthrax will be the third headliner! And in some cities, there's no second stage at all. So, know before you go!

Ron
    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Re: GIGANTOUR Review

cant wait! going to the Holmdel, NJ show in august

Comment

Ahhh that sucks about 'deth dude...the Drovers wern't happening or was it Dave....or the whole thing just didn't..."gel".
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Glen was good - it just didn't gel.

Oh, I was wrong about Fear Factory and Dry Kill Logic - they did play before the wind kicked up. We just didn't care...
        [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Comment

Actually, DT had a Euro summerfestival tour.

Graspop and Arrow Rock were in the middle of that bill, and Labrie sang very well on those shows as well. I think he's taken some voice training or so.
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

yeah I don't give two shits about fear factory or dry kill logic...to me ...it's crap! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

fear factory...drum triggers...that's it...that's the trick...nice! [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

the reason why labrie can suddenly sing is because all of the songs are down tuned like 2-3 steps lol

Comment

Yeah...Labrie is not up there on my awesome singer list...

he's the weakest link in that band!

He's NO Russel Allen.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

For sure, I've wanted to jam his mic up his ass plent of times.
                  You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    the reason why labrie can suddenly sing is because all of the songs are down tuned like 2-3 steps lol

[/ QUOTE ]lol...
                    I was talking about the old stuff as well.
                    [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

LaBrie claims that he had some kind of injury to his vocal chords a number of years ago, and he's only just now getting his voice back fully. I think he's definitely sounding better in the last year or so than he had for a long time. Not my favorite singer, but that's a really tough gig for a singer.

Comment

I can't wait for the tour to come my way! I'm really looking forward to Megadeth (for the most part), Symphony X and Nevermore.
                        I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

I'm looking forward to it, as well--I even skipped Ozzfest, in order to spend the $$$ on Gigantour, which just flat out has a better lineup this year.

Comment

When I caught Megadeth and Exodus last year, and I felt the same way about Drover. He is a great guitarist, but Dave and he just do not fit together well.

Comment

Ron,
                              Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of catching the show here in Albuquerque this weekend. I still dig Dave, and curious about Nevermore and Symphony X.

Comment

Working...
                              X