Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How did Robin Crosby die?

[ QUOTE ]
    RIP Robbin. He had a hand in the design of one of my favorite shapes of all time, my respect...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Actually, he got famous for using it, but he didn't design it. The Double Rhoads/King V was used by Dave Linsk of Overkill (then in a band called Zyris... Zakk Wylde was also at one time in that band). Dave's guitar was in the Jackson shop for repair or something, Robbin saw it and had one made. It got known as the "King V" because it was a huge guitar, and Robbin's nickname was King.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      RIP Robbin. He had a hand in the design of one of my favorite shapes of all time, my respect...

[/ QUOTE ]
      Actually, he got famous for using it, but he didn't design it. The Double Rhoads/King V was used by Dave Linsk of Overkill (then in a band called Zyris... Zakk Wylde was also at one time in that band). Dave's guitar was in the Jackson shop for repair or something, Robbin saw it and had one made. It got known as the "King V" because it was a huge guitar, and Robbin's nickname was King.

[/ QUOTE ]
      I always heard the story about how Robbin designed it by extending one of the horns of the Rhoads. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I didn't see Bills post, but I probably would have laughed; not because of Robbins illness, but because it was funny.

Some folks around here have suffered enough personal adversity to be able to find humor in situations others find no levity in. That is a coping mechanism and I don't think Bill needs to be flamed for it.

If those close to Robbin(Sully, Curt) were offended by the post, I understand that as well. They were friends and witnessed the end of a mans battle with a horrible disease - not an easy thing to deal with and something no one should have to endure.

Anyway, Robbin was a great musician and my memories of seeing him on the Out Of The Cellar tour have remained with me since Aug. 15, 1984. He was a true rock star and totally owned the stage. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
        Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Robbin fucking ruled man...

but I will be FOREVER be haunted by that damn TA song whenever I see or hear that "A" word...prolly for the rest of my life..I mean after seeing that damn thing...how can't you...?????

RIP Robbin...he kicked ass..and did it his way....I can respect that....he lived hard , died hard....but he had some fun doing it!

what was weird is that when they put out their "comeback" album out around 97 / 98 or so he looked great...like a picture of health...in the photos..on the album cover and stuff..I would have never thought anything was wrong with him..he really looked good!

I bought the first Ratt ep in 1983 and were one of my VERY favorite bands at that time..it was a purple vinyl album and those songs and tones just whooped ass...had it in my car everyday...that and Dokken and Rough Cutt..and King Cobra , Icon , Savatage...all that stuff..

Ratt is a big part of me...so to say that I have a dislike or discontent with Robbin is just plain fucking wrong...I saw them play and met Robbin four times..and he was one cool SOB!

But Trey and Matt corrupted my already demented mind...it is my kind of humor and that is all it is...it was NOT a jab at Robbin on my part ...that was NOT my intention..FUVK NO!!! [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

You know...I am what I am ...I will NOT change ..people are who they are and thats it..that's it!

so for what it's worth you can take it or leave it...it won't change a thing with me...not in the slightest..not a single molecule!

I'd rather DISRESPECT my real hero EVH...I resent him for what he has become , from what he once was...because he changed my life for the better and his for the worst...I have NO empathy for him to be honest....I'm sure he influeneced Ratt , Dokken and everyone as well..

But I don't care , ED pisses me off...and I would tell that to him to his drunken face in a hearbeat and kick him in is fuckin' ass (you think I'm kiding) ...that's how I feel...and if Ed dies of cancer after all those warnings and health problems , surgeries and still smokes him self to death...I'll resent him even more for being such an weak , and feeble asshole..and not the god he once was to me...and still should be...what a waste , what a shame!

he's going to die , he's alredy DEAD...and I will NOT feel sorry for him...it was suicide....his wife and kid left him because of it...and that is weak...he's weak , selfish , arrogant little prick with a tenth of the talaent he once had!

That's all I gotta say...that's it...if yoiu think I was dissing Robbin...you are so wrong!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

what was weird is that when they put out their "comeback" album out around 97 / 98 or so he looked great...like a picture of health...in the photos..on the album cover and stuff..I would have never thought anything was wrong with him..he really looked good!

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't have that disc, but i know that robbin wasn't involved in the project whatsoever. they could be old pix or something to that extent....?
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sull...I saw pics of him during that reunited comeback Ratt cd...S/t...he has short hair , looks stocky as always and looks like a picture of health...he didn't look like someone who was terminaly ill...not at all..

I was surprised that he died from aids just a short while after...shocked really...but he lived a life of fun and that kind of oppurtunity was there..I'm surprised DLR doesn't have aids...he can't count how much puss he had and now he looks like shit...he's still a silly fucker!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Which album is the 'comeback'? I have the 'Ratt' LP from 1999, but that has Robbie Crane and no pics of Robbin at all - Warren is credited with all the guitars.....I actually really like it though
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

In my circle of friends, we make fun of everyone, and everything. We also pay the price for it, so of us had made comments, as it was said "in a context" that "could" be funny, given the right circumstances, but we test the waters, and find the "wrong" ones, all the time.

I don't know much about Ratt, or hell for that matter, 80's music. Whenever any musican dies, it makes me sad, even if I don't know much about them. It's still a damn shame. Not only were they a musician, they were a, mother, father, son, daughter, brother or sister, and or a friend to someone.

When people get upset over a musician/entertainer dying, I think they tend to forget about the friends and family that were (it sounds awful to put it this way) left behind.

I try to educate myself on things, and open my eyes to new things. Though Ratt isn't new, I'll have to get some of their things, I mean I've got the staples, but other than that, I don't know.

Comment

That was not Robbin on that album ...I assumed and thought it was...but I traded it in a while ago because I didn't care for the songs or their attempt at "modernizing" their writing ...just wasn't the same to me...so I have all the Ratt cds up to detanator..including that first ep with Walkin the dog on it..

maybe that what I didn't care for the album...if Robbin wasn't on it...well that would explain it...he was very much a huge part of Ratt...killer tone!

Warren D and Lynch and Oliva besides Ed ..were my main faves for a few years during that time...they are very much apart of me...Hell John knew that back then...that stuff wasn't really heavy enough for John at the time...but man I played that stuff 24/7/365!!!!

Now John can hear and appreciate how great those players were ...20 years later..and likes it now..

Comment

I think my fav quote from Robbin was in a GP interview where he describing the solo breakdown for some song (Lack of Communication? Morning After? -I think it was "Out of the Cellar" but I forget the cut) and he described his part as "I do the wang bar garbage" or similar stated line. He seemed really a pretty down to earth guy.

edit.. I think it was "I'm Insane" Warren took the first break and Crosby kinda embellished it at the end.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        To further propogate this, It was also uncool to do that on a board that has long term members who happen to have been friends with Robbin, so not only does it affect his memory but it affects his friends ..

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly....

I get humor and frankly laugh at a lot of things that I shouldn't, it helps me deal with things in my own way. It isn't cool to be inconsiderate to other peoples feelings whom may not have the same take on things as you, or in this case, a personal first hand relationships with Robbin.

Be cool [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

yeah reading about Robbin's death in a KNAC.com interview just blew me away, I was shocked. thing is, plenty of people get HIV and don't die, look at Magic Johnson and a bunch of others I can't remember right now.

sadly this is also what took Ray Gillen. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
                          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I try to educate myself on things, and open my eyes to new things. Though Ratt isn't new, I'll have to get some of their things, I mean I've got the staples, but other than that, I don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bro, by all means check out their stuff... Invasion of your Privacy is a KILLER album. "Closer to My Heart", "Watch You Give" and "Never Use Love" are PRIME fucking examples of the quality song writer and talented lead player 'KING' was!! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Pick up the Dancin Under Cover disc and check out the solos for "Drive Me Crazy" and listen closly to the last desending trill he does on the "Lookin For Love" solo. PURE feel, the man wasn't flash and speed.

He is missed. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Adrian
                            All hail the 'King'
                            R.I.P~ RLC

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Adrian

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">indeed..... [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] </font>
                              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                [ QUOTE ]

Adrian

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">indeed..... [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

+2 (million) Robbin was ALWAYS my favorite part of Ratt. Remember when "air jams" were cool in the 80's? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I know [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] - go ahead and laugh, but I was pretty young, and couldn't play and didn't have a guitar yet, but anyway... I built a copy of "Big Red" then - VERY accurate for a guitar that wouldn't play. It was the only guitar I would've played back then if I had had any money to buy one at the time (either that or Chris Holmes' blood-drip star... [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]).

I can nearly go back to the MOMENT I heard Robbin had died. I never knew the man, but just in what I had read and heard, I knew this would have been a guy I REALLY would have loved to have met and hung with (minus the whole drug thing - I've never done any in my life).

I'm not sure who's life'death was more tragic - Robbin or Layne Staley from Alice in Chains. They both died close together, and both hit me hard - AIC was about the only thing out of Seattle in the 90's that I cared much about... All I know is that I grieve for both, and even though their demises were very tragic, I respect them for who they were and try not to get wrapped around what did them in. I have no sympathy for junkies, but I still understand the grip of drugs. I see it as personal weakness, but I understand all the same. I have my vices, but not drug-related. No one is without fault.

That said, I really miss Robbin. I really love that there are guys like Curt & Sully who did know him personally and are able to share their lives with us and give us a little insight into the Man behind the legend. Thanks again guys - I'll always be in your debt for that.

Comment

Working...
                                X