Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Van Halen uno on Vinyl. . . please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Van Halen uno on Vinyl. . . please help!

Hey.

Im 17, so I wasnt buying music when records and record players ruled the scene (Cassettes did. . .haha).

Ive got a real facination with record players and vinyls. Ive got a great collection of 80's metal and 70's rock. For instance, All the DLR Van Halen albums (VH1, VH2, Women and Childeren, Fair Warning, 1984, Diver Down, and the van hagar '5150' album. Also, DLR's Eat em and Smile, Skyskraper, and Crazy from the Heat. 7 or so Ratt records, 6 Scorpions records (and a Michael Sheinker Group record)Whitesnake's slide it in and self titled, lots of cool stuff with killer guitar parts.

But Im having trouble with my Van Halen 1 records. Ive got 2, because I thought my first one was messed up. But they both have the same symptoms! Which is. . .Eddie's Rhythm parts. . .are NOWHERE to be found! All I can hear is the "echo" of the rhythm parts from his tape delay, which . . .is really odd. Whenever he bursts into solos, the guitars pop in at regular volume.

I dont know what the deal is. I know most of you were around and know all about record players. Anybody know what the deal is? Im baffled. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I wanna listen to VH1! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Van Halen uno on Vinyl. . . please help!

BURN ONE DOWN, and use the headphones.

Comment

Nevermind, I got it.

Ive got a mono adaptor where I should have a stereo.

Right now, Im running Zenith Turntable -> Radio Shack 3 microphone mixer (for a signal boost)-> RCA/1/8" jack converter-> MONO(this is the culprit)double female ended 1/8" patch connector -> Car cassette adaptor (from portable CD player)-> cassette deck of my old JVC stereo system.

Something was bound to be messed up along the way, lol.

Comment

yep...the first van halen album eddie's main sound is in one channel and echo only in the other...if you were listening to it the other way you would hear mostly eddie and very little of dave i think...lol...d.m.
        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

> Eddie has always said he hated listening to all of the early stuff for this reason alone. He said (not that this would EVER apply to him),that if you were driving down the road and you had a speaker blown,you missed half the song. I was also gonna suggest that you check to see if your cartridge is connected tightly,this used to happen to me when the cartridge worked loose from the vibration. If you are serious about listening to vinyl,get a Technics SL 1200,the universal DJ turntable,and the best commonly available model on the market. Tommy D.
          "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Good answers. I was going to say, buy another album! I, myself have worn down MANY VH albums in the past........ [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
            "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

Thats a TED TEMPLEMAN deal!

He put 95% of Eddie on to one side of the mix.
              I think left....20 years ago I knew w/o re listening.
              Charvel: Model1, 2 & 5, Surfcaster 12
              Jackson: DK2, JRS-2, Kelly

Comment

Oh, that explains alot.

I'd like to be able to control which side I hear. That would be really cool for examining Eddie's guitar parts, or . . .like now. . .it makes a perfect backing track for jamming along with it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X