Saw Hammerfall last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw Hammerfall last night

Good show, lots of Jacksons on display. Looked like Rhoads for Oskar, Soloists for Stefan.

They were each using a Marshall stack (which the previous band, Edguy, alsop used). But something during soundcheck made we want to get some insisght from the experts...

When the stage guys came out to check the guitars, the mics weren't turned on. And the Marshalls were a lot quieter than I expected. And they didn't sound great. Then the FOH guy apparently turned the mics on, and they got louder and the tone went from fairly wimpy to...well, pretty damn good. Anyway, it didn't sound like they were running these heads opened up a lot. Can anybody clue me in to how touring bands usually set up their rigs, and how big a difference the mic'ing makes?

By the way, Edguy were also a fun band. I missed the first band, unfortunately.

Re: Saw Hammerfall last night

most FOH guys like a quiet stage volume so that they have overall controll of the sound. i saw them at Jaxx in Va. and they sounded awsome. they were using ENGL heads with marshall cabs, and have been for quite some time now.

the more cabs you runs the less volume you will have out of the head. - but more sound. so the head gets some breathing room but doesn't take over like it does with a single 4x12. you get to push the power section more but still not be overbarinly loud.

but those ENGL heads do sound good.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Ah, I gotcha. Thanks for the explanation.

I was expecting to see the Engl heads, but they had Marshalls. I wonder if they were borrowing gear because of the costs of shipping their stuff all over creation from Sweden.

Comment

well i saw at least 1 engl head on stefan's side. it was too crowded to get a look over to oskar's side.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Our own JCFer Ace is teching on this tour; maybe he'll see this thread and weigh in.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Too bad you missed the first band (Into Eternity). They rule.

www.intoeternity.com
            THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

I really enjoyed Into Eternity..my son was talking to the guitarist..the bearded one ..like they were best friends..he hee...but they seemed to be the "oddball" on the bill...not really being a straight forward power metal amoung power metal fans..like HF and Edguy..but they played one hell of a set...I knew all the material...so I loved it.

Ace , John and I ..and Hammerfall hung out all night at a place called the Velvet Dog...very amusing...that night all these drunk decent lookin' woman took turns riding the mechanical bull...Hammerfall couldn't pull themselves away after a couple hours...so Ace , John and I bailed off onto our own adventure...

there is a thread of pics posted somewhere in the non related section...of us...it was a fun night!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

When they played here in Seattle I couldn't figure out what they were using. There were some smaller racks hanging out, but I think that Stefan was using like a V-Amp or something like that into his Marshall stack... Possibly a rackmounted rocktron intellifex? I don't know. Stefan was using the DXMG's (The bolt on with the reverse headstock and the piranah(sp?) inlays, loaded with EMGs) Couldn't see any of the other guys' stuff as I was on the exact opposite side of the stage. Maybe Ace can come in and give a full gear report?

Which thread has the pictures Bill?

Comment

It that Ace , John and Bill thread in the non related section.....I wanted everyone that hooked with Ace to post their pics there...it's prolly a few pages back I would assume..

lemme see if I can find it..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...&page=3#529335

Comment

Awesome. I dig the Coroner T-shirt as well.

Comment

CORONER RULES...why don't those fuckers re-unite and do another album..that would make me happy. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I don't know. Stefan was using the DXMG's (The bolt on with the reverse headstock and the pir

[/ QUOTE ]

DKMG ya mean

DXMG has sharkies

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                          X