dimebag strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dimebag strings

allright i have a bit of a problem. normally i get DR 10s, but the store didn't have em so i got dimebags which are the same brand and size as what I normally use. But I was stringing my guitar with floyd rose bridge the strings wont stay in tune i know this happens with flyod roses so i let the strings stretch and tried the next day it still wounld't stay in tune (standard tuning) so I waited too more days still out of tune and i tried tinkiering with the springs but it just wont stay. by the time i'm done tuning the frist string is out of tune again. so i was just wondering if it was a problem with the strings its werid i just doesn't make sence. the brigde will rise but then the strings will lower.

i've restrung a flyod rose before and its never been this hard. what do u guys think the prolem is? its the only guitar i have now so i can't play cuz of this crap.

Re: dimebag strings

That sounds to me like the result of a change in string gauge, but you say that the brand and gauges are the same.....I assume that you have a floating bridge?

Was the bridge in a different resting position to normal after you changed the strings and tuned?

If you don't want to piss about too much, try to find a set of your normal strings and chuck the new set away. Failing that, from what you've said, it's a case of adjusting the spring tension at the back of the guitar, to counter the tension of the new strings....

Good luck
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

i get 10s and the dimebags are 10s. yea the bridge was in a different spot

yeha i thought of changing strings again but i wasn't sure if i need to i mean its a waste of 10 bucks but if i need to i will

Comment

I would have thought there must be some difference between the strings, otherwise why bother packaging them as different (and yeah, I realise the Dime connection is good marketing).

Rather than chucking the strings, it sounds like what you need to do is spend 20 minutes adjusting the spring vs string tension so the bridge sits back in a balanced rest position (ie base plate parallel to the body). It can be frustrating, but it's worth it to get a better understanding of setting up that aspect of a floating Floyd.....
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

i've been trying that for 3 days!

Comment

I'm not positive but I beleive dime used a mixed set of strings. I think the e is a 10 gauge but the other e is heavier then what a standard 10 gauge low e is. If this is the case it will throw your adjustments on your bridge out of whack.

Comment

well i ditched the dime strings it still doesn't work yeah its driving me nuts

Comment

I´m pretty sure dime played 9-46 and then later 10-52 or so... definitely NOT the same as regular DR Hi Beam 10s [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

DR tite fit are some of the "loosest" feeling strings out there. (which i like btw)
                  the dimes have more tension. (i believe they are based on DR's Hi Beams) so basically unless you use the exact same brand and gauge, you will have to do a new setup for your floyd.
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

yeah i've had to give in and get it set p by a pro but my buddie got me a deal for it to be done a quicker and cheaper. so yeah i've have it my fri/sat so i can't play till then (only one guitar now) but at least i know it will sound wicked.

thanks for your help guys

Comment

Yeah, those Dime strings ARE 10-52. I was gonna try em' but just ended up getting my old faithful D'Addario's.
                      Hear the universe scream
                      Bleeding from black holes
                      Whom horns careless
                      And whom God mourns

Comment

the regular DR set is 10-46, so if you've got the dimebag 10-52's there's your explanation...it would give higher tension on the lower 3 strings! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] so you would need to re-setup your guitar...

Comment

yeah i didn't think

i play the same strings as you

Comment

Working...
                          X