Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Enemy - Doomsday Machine

any opinions?
    i picked it up yesterday....let's put it this way: i'm not overly impressed. when i listened to it for the first time i HATED it, but after having it in the cd player for a while i'd say it's a rather mediocre album. the production is - as usual for andy sneap - very good, except for the vocals which sound very processed - probably to make up for the lack of "balls" (no pun intended...lol) in angela's voice. actually, the vocals are killing this album for me personally. i liked anthems much better, and that's not even their best record. it seems like they tried to combine the technicality of their older releases with the straightforward songwriting of anthems, and failed miserably as far as i'm concerned. there are some decent songs, but also some that are very weak (my apocalypse). there are some good riffs, but nothing that's really kicking me in the ass to be honest. and once again, the vocals are terrible. there are some good leads (with gus g's guest lead on track 2 being my fave), but most of the time michael's foot is like glued to the wah pedal, and chris is just wanking - not nearly as tasteful as they used to play.

all in all....quite a dissapointment. just my .2$ though.

*puts flame suit on*

Re: Arch Enemy - Doomsday Machine

I love the album. But each to their own
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Comment

I really like this album, as well. Not as much as Wages of Sin, though.

Comment

I bought it shortly after it came out, listened it once and haven’t touched it since. Didn’t even bother putting it on my Ipod. I’m not exactly sure what it is but something really irritates me about this album and it’s not Angela’s vocals (I actually prefer her to Johan). Overall Doomsday Machine sounds more generic to me and it feels as though Arch Enemy is trying even harder to appeal to the North American market, the metalcore kids in particular.

Comment

garbage just like the last one. they killed themselves when they kicked johan out

Comment

"garbage just like the last one. they killed themselves when they kicked johan out "

Well maybe for you ..but Angela put them on the map..so they did "somethig" right..

Johan on the other hand has attemtpted to make it with Hearse and Non-Exist and most people here have NO clue who they are..EXACTLY my point. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

another thing is I caught Johan getting a Beej on the Nevermore bus...Jeff was showing me the back room , the only room with a "door" for privacy..and says we have to draw staws for this room..and a he opened the door there was Johan with a special friend..and he sounded EXACTLY like he does on the album..."HEY MAN ..WHAT THE FUCKKKKKKkkkk"....it was hilarious!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

If Liva was still in the band..maybe..just maybe ..Arch Enemy would be doing as well as they are..hmmmm ya think? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I saw AE twice w / Liva..and there were about 50 people at the show..maybe

I saw them twice with Angela...probly more than a 1000 were there at the same local venue..so "killed themseleves"...nahhhhhhhhhh that's incorrect! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

BTW..I like it.
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I don't like it. Bought it the same day as Darkane's new one, and so far I think Darkane is beating Arch Enemy around 20-3 at the moment for total start-to-finish listens. I have no complaints about Angela or about the musicianship, but the songwriting has been on a creative downward spiral over the past few albums. Stigmata was fantastic, Burning Bridges good except for a few cheeseball parts. Wages of Sin had a few stand-out tracks, but overall AE seems to be on the decline, and Angela gets far more criticism than she deserves.
              sigpic

Comment

Well Inazone..I must say that I love the new Darkane..But At the VERY least AE is keeping it true to form ..so to speak..they didn't get "gay" because of their popularity here now did they..Yes?

Not like some others bands I worshipped so intensley before..Soilwork and In Flames..to be exact ..what's with the Americanized dummied down Korn-like BS..at least I do NOT hear that in Arch Enemy...yes..good point ..yes..?

No?

WTF.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I've always been partial to AE, like the new album as well.
                  You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I hope Darkane burries Soilwork and In Flames here in the staes ..I really do..serves them RIGHT!!

People love Soilwork for who they are , not for what they "think" we want or what the label tells them..they didn't have to get all "NU" on our ass now did they..especially when "NU" is at the end of it's freakin' "trend" ..for the love of the baby Jesus , Joseph , Mary , Moses , Noah , Peter , Matthew , Mark , Luke and John and all that is friggin' holy.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      But At the VERY least AE is keeping it true to form ..so to speak..they didn't get "gay" because of their popularity here now did they..Yes?

Not like some others bands I worshipped so intensley before..Soilwork and In Flames..to be exact ..what's with the Americanized dummied down Korn-like BS..at least I do NOT hear that in Arch Enemy...yes..good point ..yes..?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I hear at least some of that going on in songs like My Apocalypse and Slaves of Yesterday. Certainly it's not as bad as Soilwork and In Flames latest efforts, still seems like a very boring and uninspired release from Arch Enemy.

Comment

"I don't know, I hear at least some of that going on in songs like My Apocalypse and Slaves of Yesterday. Certainly it's not as bad as Soilwork and In Flames latest efforts, still seems like a very boring and uninspired release from Arch Enemy.
                        "

+1

my apocalypse is about the worst arch enemy song EVER.

Comment

I do agree on that one..the first track is cool..then seems to lose steam from there..I must put it on again..at least I listened to it a couple of times..without getting all freaked out..

But Nevermore , Opeth and Darkane is on constant rotation here..

unlike the last Soilwork..I couldn't even get thru it the first time..it made me well PISSED! [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

as a matter of fact as I was opening "Stabbing the drama" from the sealed package ...as I was telling my wife...man I hope they didn't follow the path of gayness as In Flames..So I put it on and immediately went.."AAAWWWWWWWWwwwwwwww AAAAwwwwwwwww Awwww fuck Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww fuckkkkargh"..and that is my "official" review of that album. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I want my soilwork back! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

well, let me put it this way: i purchased two records, doomsday machine and ghost reveries. needless to say, the opeth one totally blows arch enemy AWAY. it's not even fair to compare those records in terms of creativity and songwriting skill.

Comment

I will give you that much..yes I do agree.

Opeth is the shit!

But in that same light I can't compare AE with the new Soilwork...man its just so lame..The lamest SW ever by far!!!

Darkane kept their shit together!!!

Nevermore..like usual kicked my ass..and kicked it hard this time around!! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X