• Show
Clear All

• Comfortably Numb mp3 - Live 1995 - The Best Solo

link
    http://s22.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...O2RYUKD8JYWOXT

taken from the PULSE live album.
    Extended solo wich is almost 5 minutes long, starts @ 4:41
    This is Gilmour's best.
    It is mystical, magical, soulful, the best goddamn solo ever made.
    Lately so much modern metal-shredders who lack of uniquness, taste, originality, tone etc. are apriciated everywhere. This is a reminder that some "old fart" can piss on them by just playing some slow pentatonic solo. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Re: Comfortably Numb mp3 - Live 1995 - The Best So

High Hopes (off of Pulse) is better IMO, but this rules almost as hard.
    Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

I recently have been listening to Dark Side and you are so right. Gilmore's stuff is not technically out of this world, but it rules. I got to see him do his sound check on the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour, totally awesome sound. It totally filled Texas Stadium as did the whole band during the show. They were loud as hell but not Motorhead loud. That was probably the best sound I have heard live.

Comment

Pink Floyd has always the best live sound, they have the biggest sound-crew.
        PULSE live album has a better sound than most of the studio albums.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Yep, no doubt about it Gilmore is a very soulful player.
          Which back then, was the more important aspect of ones playing and the highest compliment one could get.
          These days things are much different.
          It either, lets turn it up real loud and be as sloppy and noisey as possible, or, a real super fast flurry of notes minus soulfness. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I think it comes down to whether your idols and influences were blues players or the neo classical shred guys of the 80's. If you were influenced mainly by blues players, like Page or Clapton say, then it's a lot easier to play like that. If you wanted to be Yngwie or Randy when you grew up, playing like that might be tougher than transcribing a Cacophony album. Doesn't make one better than another, but the number of (primarily) blues influenced guitarists is getting smaller everyday. The neo-classical school of thought is that blues is sloppy, which is now the worst sin a guitarist can make. It wasn't always like that.
            Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

+1. I love that stuff. Less is Gil...mour...
              His phrasing is so inspiring. He reminds me alot of me.
              [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

My favorite solo of all time. Played greatly! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

thank you so much for posting this; i've never been a huge floyd fan, but i love his playing. they're kinda something i've been discovering over the years.

very, very cool.
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

you are welcome Sully, get a Pulse DVD, it is AMAZING, probably the best sounding live concert ever recorded, there are a lot of those amazing solos.

Marty Friedman has said many times that he doesn't care for Pink Floyd but Gilmour is just so damn good that you have to get every record he has played on.

Comment

cool clip thank you
                      IMO Brett Garseds solo in Friend or Foe is the best emotional and melodic one i have heard so far-dripping
                      in feeling and tension
                      But Gilmour is close to the mark

Comment

I have always loved Pink Floyd. They play that version around here more than the original studio one now. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Matt

Comment

I like Rick Wright's vocals on the verse a bit more, personally, though it was awesome to hear them "correct" at Live8.
                          Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Working...
                          X