Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vivian Campbell

[ QUOTE ]
    Adrian handed Viv his ass when I saw them on the Whitsnake tour. Vandenberg smoked Viv in every element of a live performance and guitar sound. That could be part of the reason he didnt get along with Adrian.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I saw them in Pittsburgh and although Viv was good(and a bit faster and flashier), I thought Adrian smoked him like you said...better tone, better touch. Ironically, years later I read an interview with Viv where he said his best live performance ever was in Pittsburgh on the Whitesnake tour. May have been his best, but Adrian was better.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Yea saw him on holy diver tour-He smoked

[/ QUOTE ]

My first concert ever was Last in Line at the forum.

I get mixed up un what pickup he used - was it a full shred or an invader?

Comment

IIRC JB/Full Shred back in those days.
        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Invader was in one for sure.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

I saw Vivian and Adrian a few different times on the Whitesnake tour. Every time I saw them I preferred Vivian over Adrian. Vivian was just more fluid and melodic, Adrian just seemed to play alot of scale fragments up and down the neck. I'm not saying Adrian sucked but his playing didn't seem to say much. Of course I would have preferred to see John Sykes by himself than those two.

Comment

i'm seeing dio tonight, i'm curious to see how the new guitarist will play viv's solos. That is, if they play the old stuff

Comment

you will probably see them with doug aldrich then, which is really great...I love his style I have the recent live Dio DVD where he plays, it's amazing.

Comment

Not Doug,it's Craig Goldy this tour
                  Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

huge fan of vivian, and i agree with him... phil's speed is always overlooked, then you see him go off and your jaw drops. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                    Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
                    Amp... Pioneer
                    Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

It's true that Phill has speed but Viv can hold his own with him. Anyone here has the DL Video Archive DVD or video? in the concert in Sheffield in the song Rocket they do a mid song solos one after another, and in there Viv does some preaty amething left hand legato runs with his right hand behind that shows more technic than what Phill does. Anyone agrees?

Comment

I have that DVD. Phil and Viv both rip. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] Viv's also playing some cool Andersons in that performance. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I didn't realize Vivian was so ashamed of his Dio years. I really thought he was great! I saw him on the Holy Diver tour and he was tearing it up!!!

Last in Line is one of my favorites to play along with and I use it as a gage to see how well I am improving in my own playing. He doesn’t seem to play so slow to me.
                          Jackson: DK1
                          Charvel: CS (CSB), SD (RGF), SD (Bullseye), SD '83 (HRF)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I saw Vivian and Adrian a few different times on the Whitesnake tour. Every time I saw them I preferred Vivian over Adrian. Vivian was just more fluid and melodic, Adrian just seemed to play alot of scale fragments up and down the neck. I'm not saying Adrian sucked but his playing didn't seem to say much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the exact opposite was true...I wish I could hear that show again.

Comment

I think Phil and Viv's playing styles compliment each other very well.
                              Part of the reason I like seeing them play live.
                              Viv has a bit more "flash" in his playing, while Phil is more technique. I just really enjoy watching Viv play. He makes it look so easy and you can tell he still has fun playing.
                              -Rick

Comment

It was doug alldrich, craig goldy is having wrist problemes i've heard. Doug was great, he did a long solo wich was real cool. The drummer's great too

Comment

Working...
                                X