Queen + Paul Rodgers show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queen + Paul Rodgers show

Got to see Queen and Paul Rodgers last night at the Continental Arena here in Jersey. They really put on a great show and not what I expected.

Paul did some Queen songs, and several BadCo/Free songs, but I was suprised how well Brian May and Roger Taylor sings. The did a lot of Freddie's songs. Brian sang one song where it almost sounded like Freddie. His guitar tone. [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Well put together show and enjoyable, but I think it's their only show in the States. They may have one more but I'm not sure. If you get a chance to see them, do it. It's a good show. A lot of tribute to Freddie during the show including the band joining Freddie on video during Bohemian Rhapsody.
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers show

So, would you have called it a Queen concert?

Rodgers didn't really do a ton of Queen material himself?

Comment

Not as much as I thought. He did a couple. But Brian and Roger handled most of Queens stuff. He covered his stuff and pretty good.. Like getting two concerts for the price of one.

It was cool too, I had one of them isolated boxes that hold about 15 people. Free food, free beer throughout the whole night.

Comment

What an odd combination of music really. hehe... Two very different genres... At least IMO.

Sounds like a good time though for sure.

Comment

That would be cool, I've always been a fan of Free and Bad Company, Queen made awsome songs too and May's playing is incredible
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I saw this show in Belfast earlier this year . I was really looking forward to it but it was a big let down . Freddie's voice is pretty high and I don't think Paul Rodgers pulled off any of the Queen stuff because his voice didn't suit it. + Brian may wasn't that hot at the Free/Bad Company stuff .
            I think both bands were excellent in their own right but together , it didn't work for me . I even left before the end of the gig !!

Mark
            Oh stick this in your fuse box ..... Bon Scott

Comment

hey don, i was there last night too

it was a take it or leave it kinda thing, i'll take it

it was like 2 concerts for the price of one, and brians guitar tone was fugging killer

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                hey don, i was there last night too

it was a take it or leave it kinda thing, i'll take it

it was like 2 concerts for the price of one, and brians guitar tone was fugging killer

[/ QUOTE ]

Your right. I said that to my friend at the concert. Two bands for the price of one. I like the acoustic stuff Brian May did, and I didn't even know Roger Taylor could sing, but they were good. Paul Rodgers, sounded good with his music. He's not Freddie Mercury, so he did what he had to do with Queen, which was improvise. I didn't want to hear the song exactly anyway. I like to hear them put a twist or something to their songs. Change it up a bit. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The music wasn't overpowering. I saw Van Halen there last year and it was so loud, I had to put my fingers in my ears to muffle out the low range sound. They were good also. I'm probably one of the few that likes Sammy better than Dave. Though I like Dave a lot too.

For not having Freddie there, I thought they did a good job of arranging and performing. I like the way they meshed Freddie videos and the music together (Bohemian Rhapsody). I was kind of wondering how they were gonna do that. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Good to see a fellow Brick native on the board. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

I think it is great.....Paul is a real talent who has needed an outlet for a long time....Good Job Chris (Paul's Manager)! Just think about it, besides being one of the greatest voices in rock, he has only written some of the most "classic" rock songs of our generation! Queen is a great band in need of a fresh direction....I look forward to the possibility of an album/cd of new material by them!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I think it is great.....Paul is a real talent who has needed an outlet for a long time....Good Job Chris (Paul's Manager)! Just think about it, besides being one of the greatest voices in rock, he has only written some of the most "classic" rock songs of our generation! Queen is a great band in need of a fresh direction....I look forward to the possibility of an album/cd of new material by them!

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that they put out a cd of old rehashed stuff, Queen/BadCo/Free, but new stuff would be interesting. I found out their other gig was at the Hollywood Bowl in CA. Did you get a chance to see it?

Comment

is John Deacon, Queens original bass player with them on this. I saw them on VH1 classic the other night and there
                      was no mention of him at all.
                      I saw Queen live back in the day 4 times in boston, a really great show every time.
                      Brian Mays sound live is alway f'n killer.
                      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

No, at least it didn't look like him. Youger player.

Comment

Working...
                        X