Saw Frank Marino live last night...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw Frank Marino live last night...

Went to see Frank Marino last night at Jaxx in Northern Virginia. Here's my review in a nutshell:

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

That might be the single greatest guitar performance I've ever seen in person. I don't even know the words to say how great Marino is live. Even after hearing all three of his live albums, I wasn't prepared for how stunning his playing is live.

If he comes within 200 mi. of you, you *have* to go see him!!!

Re: Saw Frank Marino live last night...

Frank is one of the most underated guitarist ever.I've told my story of meeting him years ago on this site a couple of times,but what a great talent.Pro-Fusion is right,if you ever get a chance to see him,don't pass it up.You will not be disapointed...................
    Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

I haven't seen him live since he was on tour with Nugent back in 80?81? and those were the same 3 words I was saying that night too! I am sooooooooo fucking jealous of you right now, He is one of my true original Guitar heros and a HUGE influence to me.
      I'm glad you liked the show, alot of us "older guys" know all about Frank, but a lot of the younger guys here haven't been enlightened to him yet. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      Damn just checked his web site, he's going to New York but not Boston [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

+1 one on the jealousy!!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Frank Marino is one of my all time faves. Very few people have his combination of touch, feel, and mind numbing chops. I need to see if he's coming anywhere close to Denver in the future.

Very cool to see he is still appreciated. He came out of "retirement" due to the popularity of a fan run website...just read that a couple of months ago in Vintage Guitar magazine (he was the cover story).

Comment

Sorry, Rupe, he's not coming anywhere near Denver on this tour--he played Annapolis tonight (wish I'd gone), and New York on Monday, and that's it for the tour. He doesn't seem to go more than a day's drive or so from his home base of Montreal. Probably a lot cheaper that way.

He played a very interesting SG Special customized with three single-coil pickups. Very odd, but it sounded awesome, along with his crazy rack setup, some of which he built himself. I'm still buzzing over that show.

I've seen guys with more chops live (Vai, Holdsworth), but I've never a guy play with chops and such pure musicality. Not one single time did Frank run up and down a scale--every run was a real piece of music, and mostly off the top of his head. I'm not worthy!!!!!

Oh, and Bill, you'd BETTER have seen Frank on Oct. 17 in Cleveland at the Beachland Ballroom, or you can't call yourself a Frank fan... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Damn...that sucks. I wish I still lived in Pittsburgh...better shows on the east coast.

Comment

Been a Mario fan so many years...geeesh I can hardly remember.
              Frank was always a mother of a guitarist
              Back in the day the live record was the best I've ever heard
              And the new Real Live CD is out of this world
              prob the best guitar CD ever!!!!

His pedal board back in the day was a major influence on me
              this is why I still use at least 10 stomp bxs

Comment

"Oh, and Bill, you'd BETTER have seen Frank on Oct. 17 in Cleveland at the Beachland Ballroom, or you can't call yourself a Frank fan..."

SHIT...It wasn't even advertised ..I did even know he was here..?? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Frank Marino.. fuggin' RULES..seen him three times live in my life..I love him.

Frank Marino ...one of three guys that booted my ass into music. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'm pretty sure he's had an SG like that since MR4 days. If it is not the same, its one similar to that design he used on occasion back in the mid 70's.

Comment

Wow - I saw him open for Kansas in 1979. I hadn't heard anything of him since then - I didn't even realize he was still around.

Comment

Sorry you missed him, Bill. I only knew he was coming here because the web site of the venue he played featured him prominently. The owner of Jaxx said before the show that he has been trying to get Frank to play Jaxx for many years. I wouldn't worry too much, though--Frank seems to be touring more actively now, and I'm sure he'll be through Cleveland again. I would have let you know if I'd even thought to check his web site.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I'm pretty sure he's had an SG like that since MR4 days. If it is not the same, its one similar to that design he used on occasion back in the mid 70's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew he'd been using SGs, but I didn't know about the single-coil mod. That's freaky, but his sound was outstanding, so it obviously works. The only time he switched guitars was for "Strange Universe," where he played a custom-made SG by Lynn Guitars, which had hollow chambers, humbuckers and a flame maple top--an absolutely gorgeous-sounding instrument. If it were me, I'd have played that one all night...

Comment

<font color="red"> Another holy fucking shit experience here!! </font> [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] <font color="red"> !! </font> [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] <font color="red"> !! </font>

Comment

Thanks Pro..please do gimme a heads up..its a shame he wasn't promoted in any of our weekly music papers here..that's sad..

I went to go see him in 93 once..there wasn't 20 in the place to see him...so he got disgusted , didn't play and went back home..what a shame..he lives in Canada
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Saw Frank earlier this year at (BB King's) in Manhattan. Dynamite show. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                              Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Working...
                              X