Sykes equipment from Whitesnake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sykes equipment from Whitesnake?

so what is Sykes doing now? the second BM cd was apparently a bust, there wasn't a third one, and that was in the early 90's. has he done anything since then?
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

sykes did most if not all backing vocals on the selftitled album. just listen to blue murder. sounds so much like coverdale. his vocals are an exact cross between coverdale and phil lyonette from thin lizzy. (which sykes now fronts) and he's playing and singing at the same time. amazing musician and song writer. i even heard that slip of the toung was co written by sykes with no cred given.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

oh that's right, he's doing the Thin Lizzy thing. is that still ongoing? I know they did that one live cd a couple years back...
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

He also has some albums released during the 90's and 00's (?) under the band name "Sykes" that are worth checking out

Comment

Sykes is such a great player and his tone just slays!

Comment

Sykes has released quite a few albums in Japan (where he's quite popular) in more recent years, and has a new live album that's pretty good.

The first Blue Murder album was definitely what the followup to Whitesnake 1987 should have been--apart from a couple of songs, I actually like "Blue Murder" a little bit better, since its songs are more complex and not as predictable as the 1987 songs.

Comment

Who else absolutely wore out those cd's? Great player and made some awesome music...

Comment

I remember the first time I saw the video for "Valley of the Kings" just f*cking blew me away. the sound on that first Blue Murder album was great. I love the solo in that song [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

John Sykes is in my top 5 with Jeff Beck, Steve Vai, Eddie Van Halen and Billy Gibbons.
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

So, on what albums of Whitesnake did Sykes play? 1987 - yeah, and what else? I heard Vai kicked the guy out when Sykes injured his hand, or was it another guy?
                      I think Sykes sounds quite similar to Gary Moore. Murder in the Sky comes to mind first

Comment

Adrian Vandenberg wrote all the new material for "Slip of the Tongue". During pre-production demos, he injured his hand. In order to keep things moving, Coverdale hired Vai. Coverdale said all along that he had wanted Vai in the band for a while to replace Vivian Campbell.

Vai didn't write anything for Whitesnake. He played all the stuff that Adrian Vandenberg had already written. Vandenberg did recover in time to shoot the videos and do the tour.

Comment

And I read somewhere that Vai's terms of contract were that all the solo parts on concerts will be done by him, not Vanderberg.
                          Ok, and what albums did Coverdale write with Campbell? He's another awesome and underrated guitarist, I think.

Comment

I read in a magazine during the late 80's that the whammy bar stuff and some of Sykes' original playing on the Whitesnake LP were dubbed in by another guitarist. Didn't Coverdale and Sykes have some sort of falling out?

Gary Moore definitely influenced a lot of players, Sykes being one of them.

Comment

Whitesnake 87's ALL guitar parts were played by John Sykes (yes all that whammy bar stuff too) except the solo in Here I Go Again wich Vadenberg did.
                              Sykes wrote all the songs except Here I Go again and Crying In The Rain.
                              Slip Of The Tonge was written by Vandenberg and Coverdale. ALL the guitars were done by Steve Vai.

Campell and Vai didn't wrote ANYTHING with Whitesnake.
                              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I wish Campbell did. Although, his latest stuff with Def Leppard, the 'X', sucks balls [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X