Saw Nevermore/Opeth las night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw Nevermore/Opeth las night

Pretty good show at the House of Blues in Chicago last night, which I beleive sold out at showtime. I was really looking forward to seeing Nevermore and was a bit disappointed as the guitars (HellRaiser and B.C. Rich)were lost in the mix for most of the set (at least to my ears..by no means a professional sound man. When you could hear them, however, Loomis and Smyth really smoked. They were both playing through Kranks. Loomis two half stacks and Smyth one head and two cabs(all black revolutions I surmise..again, no expert on Krank amps). They played a pretty short set of all Godless songs plus River Dragon. Dane wore White Sox jersey and hat throughout and sounded very good. They were tight as a drum and despite the poor mix it was really a treat to finally see these guys live.
    Opeth sounded pretty dead on to their recordings. Cool seeing Mikael sing live...his voice to me is pretty amazing. Simple set up with a single Laney full stack each...pretty impressive sounding.
    Not too familiar with pre GR material but enjoyed it all non-the-less.
    All in all...well worth twenty bones. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    1. Just a little bit
    0%
    2. No thanks
    0%
    3. I can't stand it
    0%
    4. BOORING
    0%
    5. Crap
    0%
    6. Major suckage
    0%
    7. Fuck this shit
    0%
    8. I want to kill them
    0%
    9. Nirvana ruulz!!!
    0%
    10. GAY!!!!!!!!!
    0%
    -Michael

Re: Saw Nevermore/Opeth las night

Seeing them in a week, can't wait already. It will be my 5th time seeing Opeth(they get better by every performance) and first time for Nevermore. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Although I have to say it is pretty disappointing if they play just River Dragon from the older albums... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?i...a0302056jb.jpg

this is their setlist, when they are headlining [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

they killed when i saw em.. but i couldnt catch opeth this year.. shame realy.. i envy you that you got to see both at once!!
      You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

i dont think nevermore has ever had a headlining tour. where was that setlist from?

Comment

Europe.

Comment

opeth used boss gt-6 or 8 and the laneys as power amps.

nevermore guitars get lost in the mix cause of thier lame ass guitar sound. cheap bass heavy scoop. no clarity "but it sounds brutal man" - yeah, when your playing by yourself, but not in a band situation. "we have our ear to the curb. that's the modern guitar sound" - WHAT A LAME COP-OUT!!!!
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Dammit man, I wish I could've seen Opeth. They're playing their good shit for their setlists too.

Comment

their sound was pretty damn good when i saw em.. they used mesa double rectos
                You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

I've seem Nevermore twice and both times the guitars were a muddy mess.
                  That's why I didn't bother to see Nevermore again when they came to Hamburg this month (same location too).
                  BTW I recently bought three albums of them which I really love. I could kick myself for not getting into this band earlier, just because I was so disappointed after seeing them live.

But I did see Opeth this September, and they were absolutely awesome. My second time seeing them, and they have gotten even better since the last time!
                  http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Saw Nevermore twice and they sounded good with the POD Pro + Mesa power amp combination and the rectos they used last tour. I could hear all their parts fine. maybe it's something to do with the Kranks.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

I see the same show in two days...can't wait for Opeth. Nevermore I could care less, I don't like power metal at all and I have never liked anything I heard by the band. Maybe seeing them live will twig something for me. Who knows. The following night I see Cryptopsy and Suffocation, that will be a great show as well.

Comment

I didn't mean to imply the guitars were thin or muddy...This wasn't the first show I've seen at H.O.B. where the drums and bass drowned out the rest of the band...especially the warm up act. The levels got better towards the end of the set and I for one...after hearing River Dragon live...would be happy to settle for Loomis' lame ass sound all week long and twice on Sunday! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        -Michael

Comment

I'll be seeing them here in NY in about a week or so!
                          I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Worcester on Sunday.
                            Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              i dont think nevermore has ever had a headlining tour.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              Huh? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I saw them on the DHIADW tour... Opeth and Angel Dust opened for them. Actually, there were a few local little bands that went on first, but I got there late and didn't really know who they were. Angel Dust was on when I got there, and then Opeth went on. Most of the crowd left after Opeth (it was a Thursday night and most people I'm sure left because they had to work the next morning). I then got to move right up front and stood in front of Jeff. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Nevermore kicked ass, though, except for when they opened with Narcosynthesis and Jeff's guitar went out when it came time for the solo... then he was behind his little curtain of hidden gear messing around for a little bit until his sound finally kicked back in. The rest of the show was killer!!
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X