Saw Nevermore/Opeth las night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saw Nevermore/Opeth las night

Opeth's current live assault just dominates everything there is. THEY ARE THE BEST BAND ON EARTH.

saw them in Seattle last month. FUCKING AMAZING! Definately worth the 400 dollars it cost to fly out there plus hotel. I'll do it again in February too. CAN'T WAIT.

Comment

Urghhh this good set list pisses me off, knowing I missed my chance.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Opeth's current live assault just dominates everything there is. THEY ARE THE BEST BAND ON EARTH.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to second that. Good thing that I only had to pay 17 EURO for the ticket. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
        http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

OK listen up ..here's my review of the show. First keep this in mind..I AM a true Opeth fan. OK, now continue reading.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Well I went to The Into Eternity / Nevermore / Opeth show last night at the house of Blues. Got there a little late and missed Into Eternity and Nevermore was already into the second song. Wow I never heard Nevermore be so on their game like they were last night. Jeff Loomis was a fucking maniac..he was so firey and articulate ..he made me feel like a Jerry's kid watching him play. Steve was great too but not nearly the calibre as Jeff , not in any stretch. Tim Calvert gave Jeff better competition when he was in the band for certain. Well they played for better part of an Hour mostly newer material from their last three cds..Warrel was amazing last night..I never heard him sing better..the whole band floored me ..and I seen them about 10 times now. As far as the Krank amps are concerned..They seemed muddy and loose for the Staccato rythm parts but the leads were fine..Jeff still sounded like Jeff. But I have heard his rythm tone sound better when he was using his recto. They played mostly aggresive material..and left no room for a breather..just one ass kicker after another..and most of the songs that have my favorite solos.

OK now Opeth, first let me say I love Opeth..and I have EVEYTHING they have done..I saw Opeth 3 years ago and was totally floored one of the best live shows I've seen.

BUT last night they were SO FUCKING BORING!!!! First they opened with a mid tempo song, not an ass kicker. When the band did play they sounded great. Mike Akerfeldt tought it was neccessary to be a stand up comedian for some reason. If I want to see comedy , I look in the fuckin' mirror. I paid to hear "music"..I mean WTF..OK some of Mike's silly spewage was kinda "amusing"..but that got old quick..the show lost ALL momentum ..epecially after getting my ass whooped by the great Nevermore..who were nothing short of incredible.

So , There is no need to see Opeth again anytime soon..I will put on their album and enjoy there music ..spew free..

Nevermore is going to headline and they are coming back here in March..You know I'll be there..

If my band was following a band such as Nevermore..I would do my damnest to well.."Kick ass". These guys didn't even looked like they tried..

Mike did sound great , his voice and his playing wa spot on ..the band was tight..but the show was boring to say the least..and they was more talking than playing..that bummed me out..because I know what Opeth can do live and this wasn't it at all.

I just saw Into Eternity , great band , when they opened for Hammerfall..at least they are still fresh in my mind..got to talk to a couple guys tho..sorry I missed them..

Bill Z Bub
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

BTW..John was with me too.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

He probably won't be as "nice" as I was in my review about Opeth..I assure you. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'm with you, Bill. I've never seen either band, and was really looking forward to the show. I walked out of the main room halfway into Opeth's set, because they had almost no energy, and the room was about a billion degrees. I wound up hanging with Jeff and Steve in the back bar of Jaxx, drinking beer, playing video games, and watching some completely hammered chick totally throwing herself at Van. Van was pointing out some scar, this chick says she had one on her knee, and just drops pants in the middle of the bar. Nice thong shot. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm bummed, I got there late and saw two Nevermore songs and they went ofstage...Man... Major bummer.

Opeth? Oh geeeze...Like musically perfect. Like more boring than watching paint dry... Whatever frigging drugs they are on, I want them. They are like so mellowed out it's ridiculous. And teh crowd was sooooo into that stuff it was amazing. Dude rambled about 3-4 minutes between each song about dumb shit.

But, whatever it is they are good at, it must be appealing because people really liked it, EVERYONE singing along with all the songs.. I thought it was pretty boring and left halfway through their set.

The highlight was when he played a few seconds of a King Diamond song of Abigail. But, he stopped and started boring me again. haha... They gave me a strange feeling of anxiety somehow that I wasting a portion of my life watching them...

Nevermore.... Loomis was a God, what a monster player, but his kranks sounded alike ass on the low end. Solos were ok, but rhythms were muddy and unintelligable.

Can't wait till march and the headline shows.

Comment

Fucking Van was on his cell phone fighting with his fucking woman in the parking lot..I couldn't get him to sign my poster..But the other guys wrote silly stuff on it..Jeff wrote .."You Dick" ..and Jim wrote "you totaly Kill Bill"..so that was nice..I told Warrel to put something Gay on it too..So he just signed it with a "2005" ..I guess that's Gay.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Noods has some cool pics..post them bro!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Your wish is my command, bill. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I got the pics I showed you from a couple of cool people over on the ultimate metal forums. The first is a thread, the second is just a directory full of pics.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=214704
                      http://www.metalexposed.com/images/Opeth

Comment

kickass [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                        thanks for posting those pics.

nevermore's rhythm sound tends to be muddy no matter what they play through...IMHO. i've seen them 3 times now, and their sound always was quite muddy. the leads tend to stand out well though.
                        i briefly met van, jeff, and steve when they played over here a few weeks ago. van was a cool guy, steve was slightly calm at first but once i told him i'm a proud member of his board he woke right up [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] jeff was quickly gone, though...he seemed very tired actually. basically he came out just for an interview he and steve did, briefly said hi to a few fans that we're already waiting at the venue, and went right back to the backstage area. a pity, i really looked forward to meeting him. but steve made up for it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Man, I missed the show at Jaxx because it sold out before I could get tix. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Glad to hear that Nevermore is headlining next year over here...I ain't missing *that* fucking show!!! I love love love love Opeth's new album, but I can see that it might not work that well live, especially after your brain has been hammered by Loomis & Co. More atmospheric and 'trippy'.

Comment

Opeth is a prog band...not a "WE ARE FUCKING BRUUUUTALLLLL RAR!!!!!! I'L FUCK YOUR MOTHER'S GUTS!" BAND.

They dont' prance around, they play their instruments with confidence and that's about as far as it goes. If you can't let their music speak for itself and you need the cheesy jack off wanking faces and other lame "rock star" shit, then you're better off not bothering.

And if you actually took the time to listen to what Mikael was saying, he has been very toungue in cheek, humble and confident at the same time...adn funny as hell.

Comment

"Opeth is a prog band...not a "WE ARE FUCKING BRUUUUTALLLLL RAR!!!!!! I'L FUCK YOUR MOTHER'S GUTS!" BAND."

Oh really Drip..hell I had no idea.. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I wished I knew that almost 8 years ago when I started listening to them.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hmmm...thanks for schooling me on the metal Dripster. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I seen them live BEFORE..they are "capable" of a awesome show..not this times around tho..I think the whole band was on xannax.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

whatever. the show in Seattle was no different than the other 3 times I"ve seen them.

Comment

Working...
                                X