Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saw Nevermore/Opeth las night

[ QUOTE ]
    Man, I missed the show at Jaxx because it sold out before I could get tix. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Glad to hear that Nevermore is headlining next year over here...I ain't missing *that* fucking show!!! I love love love love Opeth's new album, but I can see that it might not work that well live, especially after your brain has been hammered by Loomis & Co. More atmospheric and 'trippy'.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was the fastest selling show in Jaxx's history actually. Sold out in the first 12 hours or soemthing ridiculous like that. I've been told by peopl ewho attended that you could barely move in the entire venue.....it was over sold, apparently.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      "Opeth is a prog band...not a "WE ARE FUCKING BRUUUUTALLLLL RAR!!!!!! I'L FUCK YOUR MOTHER'S GUTS!" BAND."

Oh really Drip..hell I had no idea.. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I wished I knew that almost 8 years ago when I started listening to them.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hmmm...thanks for schooling me on the metal Dripster. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I seen them live BEFORE..they are "capable" of a awesome show..not this times around tho..I think the whole band was on xannax.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i was more posting in response to CM's comment about them. I know you enjoy their music, but live they've always been really laid back..they get in the pocket and just rock the fuck out of their songs..they play perfectly. They rehearse in the dark, so they get to the point where they don't even need tos ee anything and can still play their songs. I'm talking pitch black darkness.

Comment

I could play in the dark too if I had big strips of neon green tape at the 5th and 12th frets on the back of the neck like Opeth do.

Comment

I like Opeth..but they were kinda lame live this time around..that happens sometimes. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            They dont' prance around, they play their instruments with confidence and that's about as far as it goes. If you can't let their music speak for itself and you need the cheesy jack off wanking faces and other lame "rock star" shit, then you're better off not bothering.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm that's interesting, I thought there are tons of those "prog" bands who can "play" their instruments, write 20 min oopuses and just stand on the stage and boore people. Fuggum [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Caught them at Webster Hall last Thursday. Missed Into Eternity... but, only heard positive comments about the band. Nevermore and Opeth RIPPED! Dane's voice was a bit out (he later mentioned that he had a cold or something). Sound mix was not bad at all (I expected it to be bad due to every SINGLE post I've seen about the tour so far on every forum out there). Jeff played his Hellraiser for the whole set and Steve played have the set with his Warlock and the other half with that BUTT UGLY guitar of his [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
              Opeth... The Grand Conjuration RULED ALL! Akerfeldt has a weird sense of humor 'nuff said!
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Opeth is a prog band...not a "WE ARE FUCKING BRUUUUTALLLLL RAR!!!!!! I'L FUCK YOUR MOTHER'S GUTS!" BAND.

They dont' prance around, they play their instruments with confidence and that's about as far as it goes. If you can't let their music speak for itself and you need the cheesy jack off wanking faces and other lame "rock star" shit, then you're better off not bothering.

And if you actually took the time to listen to what Mikael was saying, he has been very toungue in cheek, humble and confident at the same time...adn funny as hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hang up your fanboy shoes. I like Opeth - a lot - and they were, well, not especially exciting after Nevermore. "Jumping around" was not required, but stage presence was. They've got better over the years as I've seen them - and much better now that Mike's actually talking to the crowd - but live presentation is still not their strongest point. They played everything great, but I have to admit that the setlist wasn't hitting on all cylinders for me. Still an excellent show, I just didn't lose anything by hearing it from the front of the club rather than inside where it was 10,000 degrees.
                Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

It was the fastest selling show in Jaxx's history actually. Sold out in the first 12 hours or soemthing ridiculous like that. I've been told by peopl ewho attended that you could barely move in the entire venue.....it was over sold, apparently.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't anywhere close to as full as it was for Dream Theater several years ago, when the count was about 740 (!). I'd guess in the 550 range. It was an extremely fast sellout, no doubt, but given Opeth's Hot Topic promotional tie-in, and the anticipation for both of the big-name bands, it really shouldn't have surprised anyone. I suspect more shows at Jaxx will do this since the audience base for metal here is growing with the younger crowd...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    It wasn't anywhere close to as full as it was for Dream Theater several years ago, when the count was about 740 (!). I'd guess in the 550 range. It was an extremely fast sellout, no doubt, but given Opeth's Hot Topic promotional tie-in, and the anticipation for both of the big-name bands, it really shouldn't have surprised anyone. I suspect more shows at Jaxx will do this since the audience base for metal here is growing with the younger crowd...

[/ QUOTE ]

In a strange way, I'm almost glad I didn't go. To me, Jaxx is pretty unbearable when it's full. Which basically means I'm gettin' old! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The Jaxx is a great venue at near sell out capacity, any more than that and it gets pretty miserable pretty fast. The Nevermore show was pretty miserable in that regard but what a fucking show they put on. Not as good as the Therion show a few months back but still a good show. Michael (from Opeth) needs to stop talking so much and play more songs. When they did play they rocked. I really wish Jeff would talk to Jon Schaffer about getting some good amplification cause those Krank amps suck ASS for riffing. And with the speed Nevermore plays they need something very tight, heavy and articulate. Krank is heavy and thats about it.

I think the show was about as packed as the sellout Iced Earth show I went to but according to my friend not near as bad as the IE show he went to the last tour they did with Matt (I think alot of that has to do with the fire in RI).

As bad as Jaxx may be, its nowhere near the miserable hell hole that the 9:30 club is. I fucking hate that venue.

Its a step down IMO for Nevermore to open for Opeth but it was absolutely the smartest thing they could have done. Deserved or not, Opeth is more well known and with the show Nevermore put on I can't imagine they won't gain a nice fanbase from this tour which will enable them to easily sell out their own tour when they headline next time around.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Steve played have the set with his Warlock and the other half with that BUTT UGLY guitar of his [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean the Ignitor?

[img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]
                        The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Jeff Loomis owned the show..

It was the ..let me fuck you in the ass with my guitar show..

that he did! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            As bad as Jaxx may be, its nowhere near the miserable hell hole that the 9:30 club is. I fucking hate that venue.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a bit surprised that Opeth didn't book 9:30 Club, actually. They obviously should have, considering how quickly they sold out Jaxx. I always sit or stand in the balcony at 9:30 Club, so I don't mind it as much. Since I'm only 5'9", standing on the floor there or at Jaxx usually means that I can't see much, since I inevitably get trapped behind some tall dude. And the balcony at 9:30 Club is great because you don't have to fight your way to the bar!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I'm a bit surprised that Opeth didn't book 9:30 Club, actually. They obviously should have, considering how quickly they sold out Jaxx. I always sit or stand in the balcony at 9:30 Club, so I don't mind it as much. Since I'm only 5'9", standing on the floor there or at Jaxx usually means that I can't see much, since I inevitably get trapped behind some tall dude. And the balcony at 9:30 Club is great because you don't have to fight your way to the bar!

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate 930, simply because there's almost no place to sit. I'm old, dammit. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I handle the Jaxx problem you mentioned bu showing up early and sitting at the bar all night. Worked great in this case!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                [ QUOTE ]
                                Steve played have the set with his Warlock and the other half with that BUTT UGLY guitar of his [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean the Ignitor?

[img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                                The Ignitor is my favorite BC Rich shape after the Mockingbird. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                                X