Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saw Nevermore/Opeth las night

[ QUOTE ]
    i was more posting in response to CM's comment about them. I know you enjoy their music, but live they've always been really laid back..they get in the pocket and just rock the fuck out of their songs..they play perfectly. They rehearse in the dark, so they get to the point where they don't even need tos ee anything and can still play their songs. I'm talking pitch black darkness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude I complemented their playing and you spazz.

Dude, their material just truly bores me. They bore me. It's good, but boring. Just my and a lot of other people I've talked to's opinion.

I've see Sy X, 4-5 times and they're progressive and put on a great show. Opeth was lame, unless you like Pink Floyd on Xanax, haha... They do seem to play perfect and they might be in the pocket, but rocking out they weren't haha...

Sorry. It just does nothing for me. I did allow that others were being VERY happy with them in my post, they must do something right... The crowd was packed and very enthusiastic.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      They dont' prance around, they play their instruments with confidence and that's about as far as it goes. If you can't let their music speak for itself and you need the cheesy jack off wanking faces and other lame "rock star" shit, then you're better off not bothering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, since I think Nevermore writes stuff that is just as difficult, if not more difficult, to play, and they weren't rooted to the stage. No rock star poser shit, either, just plenty of full-on headbanging with hair flying all over the place.

I was just trying to say it was a mismatch. If Opeth went on before Nevermore, I think I would have enjoyed it more, and then Nevermore could have come out and slayed everyone.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        They dont' prance around, they play their instruments with confidence and that's about as far as it goes. If you can't let their music speak for itself and you need the cheesy jack off wanking faces and other lame "rock star" shit, then you're better off not bothering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, since I think Nevermore writes stuff that is just as difficult, if not more difficult, to play, and they weren't rooted to the stage. No rock star poser shit, either, just plenty of full-on headbanging with hair flying all over the place.

I was just trying to say it was a mismatch. If Opeth went on before Nevermore, I think I would have enjoyed it more, and then Nevermore could have come out and slayed everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]
        I saw Opeth open for Nevermore on the DHIADW tour. I had heard of Opeth at the time, but I really didn't know any of their stuff. They were cool, but I didn't get into them all that much, thought they were kinda lame on stage. When Nevermore went on, they definitely had cool stage presence and really got into what they were doing more. Nothing against Opeth, as I really love them now, but their set was nothing to write home about.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Opeth strikes me as the kind of band that would do better in a more "formal" concert setting, with seats and such. The band Yes is like that, too. During Yes sets, the audience is sitting quietly being totally fuckin' blown away by the music. A very different kind of musical experience than a typical metal concert. I guess that's the difficulty Opeth has in straddling genres the way they do.

Comment

Hehe, If i'd have been sitting down, I'd have been sleeping!!! Hahaha...

Ehh, I'm just being a dick. They are very good at what they do. Just not my gig. Technically, I'd have enjoyed Yes much more...

Comment

I've seen Yes bootlegs, they move on the stage and they have a lot of kickass songs that will make you sing along.

I've heard this Opeth thing, some of my firends are big Opeth fans, personally I don't see what's the big deal. They are not THAT technical and their songwriting doesn't do nothing for me.

Steve Vai's band is probably one of the most technical bands at the moment, they play fawlessly but they also entertain, they are like crazy teenagers who jump around all over the stage. I like that. I pay to see the artists who acts like one, if wouldn't want to see the performance I could just sit at home and listen to the CDs.
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

The biggest problem is that they followed the intensity of Nevermore..from Nevermore to Everbore.
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  The biggest problem is that they followed the intensity of Nevermore..from Nevermore to Everbore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what eaeolian and I were saying after that show. How the hell do you follow such an onslaught? It was the same as Metallica blowing Ozzy of the stage almost ten years ago.

Comment

Yeah exactly..Division will be touring with the awesome Nevermore I here ..yes??

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

You see CM, I find Symphony X to be fuckin boring. I see it as a bunch of lame ass wankery and it doesn't excite me at all or keep me interested. Same goes for Dream Theater, they're boring too.

Good bands? yes..but not my taste. Maybe you should stay home next time. I wouldn't waste my time going to a Symphony X concert.

to each his own.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what eaeolian and I were saying after that show. How the hell do you follow such an onslaught? It was the same as Metallica blowing Ozzy of the stage almost ten years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

no not really. If you guys paid attention, the majority of the crowds were there to see Opeth. Nevermore hasn't sold Half as many albums as Opeth has in the past 3 years.

And Opeth fans in general are divided on Nevermore, about half of them enjoy Nevermore alot and are big fans of Loomis. The other half hate it, due mostly to Warrel's vocal approach. (gay power metal...etc is how they describe it).

you can only hope that Nevermore impressed the majority of the crowds that attended the shows, and I still feel jipped for having to suffer through Fireball Ministry and Pelican. And not getting to see Nevermore at all. But OPeth made up for it. They were amazing in Seattle and everyone there was going nuts for'em. There were no snoring 40 year olds....maybe there were, but they were the minority. not the majority like you guys seem to think.

Comment

I insisted that John to go..I wanted him to meet and see the almighty Loomis. I knew he wouldn't care for Opeth much.

You bring up some valid points ..I find the same opinions of Nevermore myself from people.

I think that made a big difference on who opened for opeth...I have to say that would gave Opeth a much bigger impact on me after dealing with the likes of Fireball and Pelican..that's for sure.. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

The intensity of Nevermore was truly MINDBLOWING Drip..I seen them 10 times and this was their finest hour IMO..I would hated to have to follow a band like that..they wer on their game for sure!! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

That may have been half the problem..

Like I said I saw Opeth three Years ago with a lame ass , boring opener ..the house was packed and they played for over two hours..they were incredible I must say.

They didn't have that same impact on me this time around and I really love Opeth..

Trouble did the same thing to me..The first BW/BK everyone was floored..so they had to bring them back..but nobody was floored the second time around..BUT they followed an Unbelievable set of Death Angel who was just fucking amazing...again that probaly had something to do with that.

I don't like DT too much..I think they are wankers for the most part , Petrucci is great , Portnoy is great..they get a good groove going and then wank for 15 minutes..I agree...they're OK..But I do like Symphony X much better..

The first time I saw Opeth they were much more "intense"..they were much "milder" this time around..and Nevermore played all their best , crazy material..a truly hard act to follow.. I had a feeling that was going to happen.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I don't like DT too much..I think they are wankers for the most part , Petrucci is great , Portnoy is great..they get a good groove going and then wank for 15 minutes..

[/ QUOTE ]

Loomis is more wanker than Petrucci, DT has a lot of ballads where Petrucci plays slowly, Nevermore is full on "tear your head off" assault mode all the time [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

ahem, there are quite a lot of ballads found on Nevermore albums... maybe not live this certain evening, but in general.
                              If you don't believe me, check out Dreaming Neon Black (the song as well as the whole album).
                              http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

E you are incorrect Sir. Loomis can wank with the best of them sure. But there is PLENTY of ballads with very emotianl , melodic solos in their reportoire..Like "Believe in Nothing" ..for expample.

You just don't have all the albums and know all their material like I do..they have put seven albums ya know...that's alot of material.

Comment

Working...
                                X