holdsworth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: holdsworth

I saw him twice and got meet him and have my pic taken with him and all. A real nice guy who plays like no one else. Out there yes, but you can't ignore the talent.

Then I said "You ever see yourself getting back together with UK ?" He stopped and looked at me real serious like and said "Those guys are assholes !!!" *mood killer for sure*

Anyway, a real special meeting for me.

-P-

Comment

Holdsworth is so amazing it gives me headaches. I remember once sitting around the house with some friends and when he came on on the CD player (hundreds of cds on shuffle) the entire house went silent.
      I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

thanks for the vid link, very cool of you.

gotta say though, this sort of offkey jamming over random bass notes is not really my thing.

I liked some of the UK stuff, but not this particular song.
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Thanks for the Video. I remember hearing about Holdsworth from a Edward Van Halen interview when I was in High School. Somebody asked Eddie what he was listening to for music. He said that he wasn't listening to other peoples stuff that much at the time. But He did mention Allan Holdsworth as something he was listening to(and that he was pretty amazed by Allan's playing.) So I had to check Him out. Very cool stuff.

Comment

His music may be strange but Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and many many others wouldn't be as good as they are without Holdsworth.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

damn I like this video a lot, thanks Tim for posting it
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Nice to be at that level. I enjoyed, but then again, I love to hear the guitar from anyone. Hearing someone strum his first chords makes me happy. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Well, I'm very 'out there' myself, and I think that Holdsworth is one the greatest guitar players of all time. He's been at it since the late '60s, and there's *still* no one out there that even sounds remotely like him. If you aren't into more abstract music or fusion stuff, then I wouldn't bother with anything he did after the "Metal Fatigue" album, but if you like your music adventurous, there are so many great albums to start with. One of my favorites of his actually didn't come out under his name. He played all over his drummer Chad Wackerman's album "Forty Reasons," which was basically an album featuring the Holdsworth band of the time. A little more rhythmically heavy and solid than some of Allan's own albums, and a great starting point.

Comment

Thanks for posting that!

I much prefer Alan's collaborative works, more specifically with Jean Luc Ponty or the Mark Varney MVP stuff (Truth in Shredding and Centrifugal Funk).

I've never really cared much for his solo albums.

I hate fusion with vocals.
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Oh yeah, Jean Luc Ponty's "Enigmatic Ocean" album--some great playing by Holdsworth on that album, though he only plays on a couple of tracks, I think.

Comment

just sounds like freestyle jazz sax on guitar... [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
                        yeah it was me, you got a problem with that?

Comment

what's a good intro to holdswoth? say, top 3 albums. or would this be a good choice?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...=glance&s=music
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

That wouldn't be a bad collection, but it's missing out on some good stuff, particularly from the "Metal Fatigue" album.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              just sounds like freestyle jazz sax on guitar... [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothin' wrong with that!!

Comment

damn!!! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                                www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Comment

Working...
                                X