Dokken, Live in Japan 1995

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dokken, Live in Japan 1995

So i am on amazon over a week ago ordering operation mindcrime dvd and i ended up also ordering two dokken DVD's. To make things short the first one came in last night, Dokken japan live in 1995.

First impressions, so weird seeing Lynch playing with a back line of Mesa Boogie Rec's. He also had either some Peaveys or Fenders, really didnt look at them that close, could not tell what the cabs were.

Second impression, no matter what guitar amp he uses he still sounds like lynch!

Third impression, overall they sounded good, the recording could have been alot better! Is also looked like Lynch was way out of practice, the solo's did not look smooth at all, almost like he had to force them out of himself. I am gonna chalk this up to the fact he was out of dokken for awhile!

Over all it was a good DVD, played pretty much every song i wanted to hear, of course they could have played alot more! I wish they would have just kept everything completly electric instead of incorperating a mini semi accoustic set in the middle.

The bonus to me was the bonus feature where they had a 1999 performance of paris is burning and i believe that was Reb Playing, however i have not seen him in many years and i never really followed dokken much in the 90's. All i know is that guitarist had a great tone and good licks.

Now i am just waiting for my Dokken - Live from the Sun and my queensryche livecrime. Of course i have allready seen the livecrime, i have it on VHS, but i want to see how well they did on the DVD and the bonus features.

Re: Dokken, Live in Japan 1995

Live from the Sun is pretty Ok, Reb ripps.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I found Reb's vid on the google http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...06094&q=guitar
      I have that on his Cutting Loose video, pretty cool stuff
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Saw Dokken on that reunion tour.Show was amazing.Lynch would sound like lynch playing through a toaster oven and phone cord.........

It was a small club and was packed to far past the safety code.Had a hot chik grabbing my ass all night, so that was cool. Drove an hour and a half in a white out to get home that night, that sucked.

Comment

From what I heard, George really didn't want to do that tour...thus his playing reflects it.

Never saw it myself.

Mike
          Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

his playing on that was terrible!also sounded like his sustain was dead and the guitar strap made a break for freedom before Mr Scary.He did this for the money-i think he is cool with the fans but backstage he can be a right handfull

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              i think he is cool with the fans but backstage he can be a right handfull

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what you mean by that?

I hung out with him backstage after a Lynch Mob gig in Pittsburgh in '91 and he was extremely cool. Talked shop for a while and was extremely humble (and I think a bit stoned by the look of his bloodshot eyes).

Comment

Timing seemed a little off on the Reb vid, but very cool! Learning that he used his middle finger to tap made me feel like I'm not so crazy after all! (at least not because of that!)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Timing seemed a little off on the Reb vid, but very cool! Learning that he used his middle finger to tap made me feel like I'm not so crazy after all! (at least not because of that!)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have always used my middle finger...so I can continue to hold the pick.

Mike
                  Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I am watching the live from the sun right now. He has a damn good tone, found this page on his equiptment http://www.rebbeach.com/gear_gallery_amps.htm didnt realize he always used two modified marshalls up to recently, also didnt realize he was playing for whitesnake right now.

Comment

yeah he's a bit of a guitar for hire really which is ashame coz he does rock but he's obviously making good money out of it

Comment

Lynch rules but he sounds better in live imo.
                        I have couple of live CDs and videos but maybe because of the mix, they never sound great..

Comment

the sad thing is i am enjoying watching him perform the songs more then i enjoyed lynch, and i am a huge lynch fan. You can just tell Reb enjoys playing them and he plays them well. I also like that he doesnt play them exact, he incorporates some of his style into it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]
                            i think he is cool with the fans but backstage he can be a right handfull

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what you mean by that?

he is normly great with fans(like he was with you)-i was refering about stage hands backstage.A mate saw him over here with Lynchmob on the 1st album tour and he said he was a wanker unlike the other band members who hung out in the boozer after the show and joined in the fun

put it this way he never lasts in bands does he?i love his playing(have one of his sig esp models)but have to say he cant be the ideal axeman for his past bands

Comment

I've been a big Lynch fan (and Dokken) for a long time and was excited when I found this by accident on Overstock. But I have to say, I was pretty disappointed. Lynch looks like he's not interested in being there and it shows in his playing. Right off the bat you've got Tooth and Nail, which should be a great opener, but Don's not hitting the notes and Lynch sounds bad on the solo. But Kiss of Death has to be the worst. Lynch does some improv solo and the whole band comes back in with the prechorus while he's still soloing. Then Don gives him this death glare. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I did watch the preview of Live From The Sun with Reb playing Paris is Burning and honestly, it sounded better than anything off the Live in Japan '95. At least it only cost me 10 bucks.

Edit - as soon as I posted this, live365 started playing Breaking The Chains -lol.
                              Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Working...
                              X