Exodus/Watch Them Die gear/gig report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exodus/Watch Them Die gear/gig report

I hadn't seen Exodus live since 1987 and the ticket was only 15 bones so I decided to check the whole show out not knowing who was opening. Got to the Galaxy in Santa Ana CA at 8PM, just in time for the first opening band, cookie monster metallers Black Holiday. I liked these guys, and one guitarist was using a Jackson WRMG through a 5150 halfstack, the other had a Charvel with the Sears headstock through a Marshall. As soon as they were done my friend Mike Bear (formerly of prog metal band Artisan) saw me and said hello; it turned out he is helping out in death metal band Abysmal Dawn whose guitarist was using some sort of toothpaste Charvel: it had a rev HS, 22 frets with dots through a Mesa(?) rack -> Marshall cab.

Next up was metalcore/thrash act Watch Them Die who were using ESP LTDs through Madison stacks. I had heard Madisons at NAMM but was impressed with their tone at this gig. There is no mistaking the heads either, as the whole logo is lit up in red. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Bands such as Behemoth and Cephalic Carnage also use Madison.

Next up was the female-fronted Crisis which I didn't like that much, although Karyn was quite energetic and had some good moves (including tossing around her 5' long blonde dreadlocks!). Her guitarists were using a Gibby SG and an Epi LP w/ 3 pups through Marshall cabs.

Then came Canadian metallers 3 Inches Of Blood who looked like mountain men but sounded like a cross between Accept & Maiden. They had 2 vocalists, the stage was really crowded! The guitarists were using LTD LP and SG style axes through Madison full stacks. Pretty loud!

Finally Exodus came on at 12:15 AM! Gary Holt was playing what I thought was a red Moser V but it had a B on the headstock. Here's a pic: What is this, some sort of Bernie variant? Anyway he had a crybaby and a TS9 through a Mesa RF into 2 Peavey (!) full stacks. The other guitarist, Lee Altus (Angel Witch) was using LTD DV8s through Mesa RF -> Mesa stacks.

Here are some posts and a set list:

http://www.exodusattack.com/phpBB/vi...p?t=5947&sid=2

I also got in the pit quite a bit; I think I was the biggest dude there so it was a lot of fun bouncing people around [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Re: Exodus/Watch Them Die gear/gig report

Cool! Gary's guitars are from Bernie Rico, Jr. I believe they're maple with mahogany necks, from what I remember reading on Exodus' site not too long ago.
    http://ricojrguitars.com/content.php?content.1

And Karyn Crisis kicks ass!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yah, that's it then. BR still has Rick H on that site! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Rick might still have an endorsement with them, but I don't know. The new album kicks ass, and Lee Altus and Gary really do an awesome job together. Too bad about Rick and his meth habits, but oh well.

Comment

Re: Crisis

[ QUOTE ]

And Karyn Crisis kicks ass!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll like this story then:

Karyn was at the merch stand and my friend was getting a WTD shirt, (it features a pic of a girl shooting herself in the head) Karyn's back was to us. I saw it was her

Jimmy: "I want that one, with the girl shooting herself"
          Me, loudly: "Yeah, that girl looks like THAT CHICK FROM CRISIS!"
          Karyn (turns around smiling to see who said that)
          Me: (laughs maniacally)

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Guess you had to be there [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

LOL Guess I had to be there.

Comment

It's the Ron & Joe show folks!!! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, let's get our post count up higher! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: Toejam is an ass

Like we need it, you ass! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: Toejam is an ass

Good point! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      It's the Ron & Joe show folks!!! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

RonJoe?!? [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] Hey, when are you guys gonna quit dickin' around and introduce the new & improved Pocket Fishermen? The cutlery and rotisserie infomercials are getting kinda old! [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                      Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

Jezz , cool Review Ron. It was rumored that Karyn Crisis died of some disease..I thought she died..well until now!! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Ron did she look decent ..in her pics she always looked kinda Hot , not really into "Dreads" and her voice was always "grating" to me..man I thought she was dead..

There is another band with a singer that sounds similiar to her of Fear Of God..she did pass ..

I like Watch Them Die and 3 inches of Blood ..I didn't pick up their new ones yet..

I can't waite to see Exodus..I missed the the last two times they were here..I must take the wife..TOTD is still in constant rotation in the car..she doesn't like the new singer (Rob Dukes) much..she misses Baloff..so do I.

Thanks for the thread!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Bill
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          There is another band with a singer that sounds similiar to her of Fear Of God..she did pass ..

[/ QUOTE ]
                          Yeah, Dawn Crosby. She died some years back. I have both Fear Of God cds... they were pretty cool!

Comment

yeah I got em too Joe..I like the first one better..Dawn Crosby ..yes.

they both had very similiar styles..I'd say Dawn came first (that sounds dirty)..well since FOG 1st came out in '89 or '90.

You're an evil mothafugger Joe.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'm an evil muthafugga! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Now I gotta go dig those cds out of my collection since I haven't heard them in awhile. [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X