Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dio We Rock DVD.. Viv-Jake-Sykes

Got the new We Rock DVD . 2 Shows from 83-84 + an interview with Dio

Viv plays his Charvel for most of the Philadelphia show and an Aria.

In the interview Dio tells how he turned down Jake and Sykes for the job of guitarist and went for Viv instead . Didn't know this .

My apologies if this has already been posted .

Mark
    Oh stick this in your fuse box ..... Bon Scott

Re: Dio We Rock DVD.. Viv-Jake-Sykes

How is the DVD overall? Good quality, performance, etc.?

Comment

<font color="red"> Damn,now that's a must have,thanx for the heads up Mark!! </font>

Comment

well.. I have the VHS from the 1st DISC "Live in Holland - Utrecht" already for ages.. no charvels/jacksons there.. so I think I'll snap that DVD after all for that 2nd disc

Comment

Dio's memory isnt what it used to be.He told me in person that Jake only had one audition with him and vinny, with RJD on bass.He said they jammed for 3 hours.Jake said it was a month and laughed at Ronnies statement.Jake did say that he was introduced to Viv as Dio's new guitarist. As for Sykes, never ever heard that before.Could make sense, he was leaving Thin Lizzy at the time and it was right before he joined Whitesnake. RJD might be talking smack since Coverdale has scored guys from Dio's camp i.e. vivian and Aldrich

Comment

I saw that one at the store yesterday. So it's worth picking up then?

I ended up grabbing the new Shadows Fall DVD instead.
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Jake who? Jake E Lee? Jake and The Fat Man?
              I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Yeah , Jake E Lee
                Oh stick this in your fuse box ..... Bon Scott

Comment

In the October issue of Classic Rock magazine, Dio says, "John was one of two original tapes we listened to. Who knows where we could have gone with John, but Viv's playing had flair and humour, he'd throw in a Chuck Berry riff and take the music to other places." You know, I never think of Chuck Berry when I listen to Viv's playing. Anybody else? But, the man is pushing 70 so his memory could be a little foggy. I think I'm glad it worked out the way it did with Sykes in Whitesnake, Campbell in Dio, and Jake with Ozzy. Otherwise we would have missed alot of classic songs. Too bad Doug Aldrich never scored a high profile gig like Dio back in the day...

Comment

seems to me that he may have thrown in a Chuck Berry lick or whatever in his demo tape, demonstrating that humour in his playing. Not that he actually used them when he was recording with Dio.
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Cool. That is a must have!

Comment

I watched special from the spectrum last night for the first time.Vivian for the 1st half of the show was uninspired and sloppy as hell.He didnt really kick it into gear until his solo spot, where he goes way out of tune but refuses to fix it until after his spot was over.After that he was good, but before that he didnt impress me at all.I was bummed at first. He played that white charvel with the skull graphic the whole night except during his solo, where he played his aria pro.

I paid 99 cents for the video yesterday at a used music store.cool

Comment

I picked it up and watched the Spectrum part last night too. I agree, he seemed a little sloppy on the first couple of songs, but he finished strong. But even the beginning had more fire to it than the Sacred Heart video with Craig Goldie, that one just didn't do it for me.
                          Ronnie's costumes, gestures, and banter really killed me on the We Rock DVD. And is it just me, or were he and Rhea Perlman separated at birth or what?

Comment

cheers !!

Comment

Working...
                            X