Paul Gilberts sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Gilberts sound

If i want to get a sound taht is similar to PG , waht soulhd i do , ro waht is teh most important thing in Gilberts sound, his pickups, or his preamps, or....

Thanks

Re: Paul Gilberts sound

His fingers....

(A laney might help?)
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Well he uses basswood and ash bodies and Dimarzio PAF Pro humbuckers mostly and Hardtail bridge as well as maple fretboard. That's what I know.

Comment

Doesnt he wire his pickups a bit differently as well?

Comment

he wires them in perallel. instead of series.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Not sure which album's sound you are trying to go for but
            the Live one they did in San Fran (Tour for 2 nd album) had
            the man playing the Ampeg Lee Jackson amps. Remember those ones that came with a key so no one could take your amp for
            a test ride if you were not around. He also used an ADA flanger (wicked sound) and sounds like some chorus. In short, the high gain 80's shredder sound. Love it !

Comment

Yeah I had the VL 100 with light up logo..Zakk endorsed them for a week..

I had two Ameg Lee Jackson ones with 6550s and one with EL34s..I didn't like the EL54's at all..

The lead tone of those amps are pretty good..but they like to start on fire for whatever reason..I knew of three that went up in flames..including one of mine.

my room had a nice burnt electronics bouquet that lasted for months..it was nice.

But Gilbert smokes no matter what the hell he played thru...like Loomis..it never seems to matter.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

He was an MP1 user for a while also.

Comment

he is currently using laney heads amps.
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Well he uses basswood and ash bodies and Dimarzio PAF Pro humbuckers mostly and Hardtail bridge as well as maple fretboard. That's what I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen his guitar with a floyd also.

Comment

OOOOkay, Im a BIG PG fan, so here we go:

Guitars:
                      He's had several signature Ibanez models, His main PGMs, the PGM100 and PGM300 have basswood bodies, Dimarzio PAF pros in the neck and bridge, a JEM single coil in the middle, and Edge tremolos. The 300 and 301's have maple boards, the 100 has rosewood. He uses them all relatively equally, just kinda depends on what he's feeling like. He actually prefers hardtails now, so his new PGM301 is a hardtail guitar to the same specs. He has converted most of his PGMs to hardtail. He also has an ash bodied PGM800, which has Tone Zones in it, and he uses this guitar alot as well. He has several RG750s, which are basically like the PGMs: Basswood bodies, edge tremolos, rosewood boards, and all his guitars are modded with Dimarzios, usually PAF pros, or maybe Tone Zones and the occasional Humbucker from Hell in the neck position. He currently wires ALL his pickups in series, since he uses a single coil in the middle when he needs to "cut". I, personally, adore a HSH setup like this with PAF pros and Tone Zones, its hard to beat.

Back in the Racer X days, he was using mahogany bodied highly modded (and spraypainted) 50's epiphones, and later on, custom shop prototype Ibanez RGs and Destroyers (with rosewood boards), both modded with a Dimarzio Super Distorion and a Seymour Duncan minibucker in the neck. To get that cut and clarity he needed with those guitars, he wired THOSE in parallel. (after Racer X, it was pretty much all series)
                      He used Lee Jackson modded JTMs for the first Racer X recordings, which I believe belonged to Mike Varney of Shrapnel records (not sure of that)

After the first RACER X album, He used an ADA MP-1 (he used several. . .modded and unmodded, he prefers unmodded however, he always thought they had a more natural tone) going into an Ampeg V4 for the power, going into Ampeg 4x12s. He and Bruce used these for the second Racer X album Second heat. From there, he started using the Lee Jackson designed Ampeg VL100. These are pretty cool amps with built-in power atttenuators and you could even lock the thing with a key! These can be had for about $400-500 now.

He used his rack until he came across the Laney GH100TI, the Toni Iommi signature laney head, and he has used that ever since. The easiest way to get PG sound, is to get a Laney. Get that, and a Dimarzio'd Ibanez RG, plug it in the front and there ya go! I have an old Laney AOR 100w head, and it gives a great PG sound, just about dead on, although it has more of a marshally flavor.

Thats basically his tone.

Comment

i used to own a GH 50L. that one, together with my old dimarzio loaded superstrat was definitely quite close to the PG sound. i never tried to nail his sound though. i guess you could almost nail it with a few FX.
                        one word of warning: do you need a clean channel? if so, forget the GH series and skip over to the VH 100R. basically two GH heads in one chassis [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                        the lead channel can be set for a lot of gain, with enough compression for blazing leads. bright, with a good bottom end that's not overwhelming, slightly noisy (not as much as a 5150 but close), and a nice midrange voicing that's marshall like but different. i wish i still had the amp [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Get your own sound!

Comment

Thanks for all the answers, whao , nonamemx thanx alot , it will help me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey guys...all the talk about the Laneys...I have a question. I got a good deal on a TT100H so I bought one..I see everyone talking about GH100's and VH100's but never the TT series. I figured other than the midi capability and the third channel it would be pretty close to the GH and VH's. Is there something about this series I don't know?
                              Hopefully, I am not in for a bad suprise when it arrives.
                              Thanks
                              -Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X