X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRISS OLIVA, did he use a duncan JB or a

duncan distortion?
    also what marshalls did he use?
    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Re: CRISS OLIVA, did he use a duncan JB or a

Or what was his entire rig? Is there some chorus going on?

I'm personally interested in the Dungeons / Sirens era.

Comment

The best description of Criss' gear is from the guy who runs the RealSavatage.com site. He also runs http://www.crissoliva.net/ There's a gear section under "About Criss".
      Occupy JCF

Comment

Thanks TËKKŸ.

Cool to see he used some Laney AOR 50's - I have a pair, but it looks like he used his tube amps clean as a power amp only, with distortion coming from solid state sources like boss and rockman stuff.

Here is a stupid question: "Dropped D" vs. "D" tuning - Is "Dropped D" when you detune the low "E" only vs. tuning all of the strings down a 1/2 step?

Comment

Indeed it is [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Yes. And Criss also used Dropped C which is like Dropped D, but a whole step down.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Here is a stupid question: "Dropped D" vs. "D" tuning - Is "Dropped D" when you detune the low "E" only vs. tuning all of the strings down a 1/2 step?

[/ QUOTE ]
              Drop D is indeed only dropping the low E down... but E to D is a whole step, not half. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

well, the site states that chris used all of his amps on the clean channel, using the low gain input. then he had 2 SD-1 in front of the amp.
                so he did really get all his gain from the pedals only? quite interesting...

Comment

I've heard an interview of a studio engineer who worked with Savatage and this description is accurate.
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Yes. And Criss also used Dropped C which is like Dropped D, but a whole step down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another stupid question: Only the low E tuned to C, or the other strings tuned to D but the D tuned to C?

Toejam,

I guess I can't think straight without having an axe here with me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I believe that it was all strings tuned down a whole step and then the low E tuned down another whole step to C.
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

That's correct - tuned to D, low D dropped 1 whole step.
                        Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Toejam,

I guess I can't think straight without having an axe here with me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                          Don't worry, I sometimes get the same way. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            That's correct - tuned to D, low D dropped 1 whole step.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I asked the same question of Chris Caffery and I never understood his answer. I didn't get it until I tuned my guitar in Dropped C and played a few Savatage songs off of Hall of the Mountain King.
                            Occupy JCF

Comment

I own Caffery's old PC-1 natural - it is set up for a "D" tuning, with a EVH D-tuner for Drop C.... and it sports a JB in the bridge
                              "Normal" tuning = D G C F A D,
                              Drop C = C G C F A D
                              Dunno if they dropped everything a step due to Jon voice or what !??!?

Comment

Working...
                              X