Smythe v. Loomis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smythe v. Loomis

Both amazing players, Steve's also an amazingly cool guy who will play an intence show and instead of hiding out in the dressing room will come out and drink with the fans and hang out.

I always thought he was perfect for the band, if not him then it would have had to be the dude from Jag Panzer, Chris something.

BTW, NP Nevermore - The Heart Collector.
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Never met Steve but, Jeff and the rest of Nevermore are very cool and hang out as well.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

chris broderick [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

i briefly met williams, loomis, and smyth when they played here earlier this year. steve definitely was the coolest, he's such a funny guy. unfortunately we didn't talk for a long time, but he definitely is down to earth. i was really looking forward to meet jeff, but he's very calm....i tried to talk to him about music and stuff, but steve quickly took over, esp. when he found out that i'm a member of his forum [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

at least they'll take the time and talk to their fans, unlike certain other bands.....

Comment

Jeff Loomis..even Broderick bows down to the man..

Loomis is KING!

Tim Calvert gave Jeff a MUCH better fight than Smythe..trust me...I seen and hung with those fuckers about 12 times now..at least.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

the thing i like about steve is his stage presence. he's all over the place, literally. kinda similar to zakk wylde on his best day [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            last time i saw jeff he was a lot more calm and introverted on stage, but this year he definitely showed off more, lotsa movement. it's also great to see warrell being clean, he looks very healthy, and his voice is much better than it used to be imho. these guys definitely get their shit together, and if they won't REALLY make it with TGE, their next album will definitely kick them into the major league.

Comment

I hear ya man...shit Nevermore should be MAJOR leage...it's a travesty that they are not..

Warrel looked a little "happy" when I saw him tho...maybe he was just in a good mood [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

When John and I saw Jeff with Steve...Jeff was unstoppable..he was fucking INSANE! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Jeff is always sorta quiet ...he's just like that...very humble dude.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bringin' it back Bill, the first person in the thread to bring up Tim Calvert!

Last night comming from work I played this coworker of mine This Godless Endevour, he freaked out. He's into metalcore and shit but he's a guitar player so when he heard it he just went nutz. I have created a new Nvermore fan.
                I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

I have tried to bring Nevermore to the masses for years...they either LOVE it or not care for it..

usually the common "complaint" is Warrel...he's a "unique" singer..I personally fucking love the guy..so no complaints here..I think he's brilliant!!!

Tim Calvert has one of my police badges..he went nuts for it when he saw it..so I gave it to him...he gave me his phone number we talked on one occassion..awesome player ..Forbidden smoked too....he's a pilot for an airline ..Nevermore wasn't paying the bills for his family unfortunatley!

That's too bad...Calvert went head to head with Jeff at the time..BIG TIME!!!

Jeff ate Steve and spit him out live this time around...but Steve gels with the band very well..they always seem to pick a great player that gels ..even Chris Broderick did a great job playing Rythm for them on short notice..no solo spots..even tho Broderick is a monster player himself.

Hail Loomis!

Comment

listened to Triple J's Full Metal Racket last night - TGE polled well in the top 10 albums of the year, second to Ghost Reveries. So the album has been noticed this side of the Pacific. Not by the mainstream, but metal fans are digging it.
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

I just heard TGE for the first time. I was big into DNB and Calvert....but man!!! Loomis's sound and playing on TGE woke me up bigtime!

Someone mentioned the bridge riff to Psalm Of Lydia....one of my absolute favorite riffs on the disc! It's fuckin' pummeling! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

yep, that riff kicks major ass. that and the chorus riff were the very first two riffs i heared off TGE - andy sneap uploaded a little pre production video that started off with parts of psalm of lydia. i instantly knew that TGE was going to kick some major a$$ - and it does. as a matter of fact, these riffs are still a fave of mine.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          usually the common "complaint" is Warrel...he's a "unique" singer..I personally fucking love the guy..so no complaints here..I think he's brilliant!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you, Bill. People who don't like them always throw Warrel in my face. Personally, I think they're smoking crack, because the man is totally unique and completely slamming. "The Final Product" was the first Nevermore song I ever heard, and his voice was a breathe of fresh air in a scene full of metalcore screamers.

Division's other guitarist played me a Forbidden CD one night, and I instantly became a Calvert fan. Some people do stuff that I know I'll probably never be able to play, but Calvert is doing stuff that I didn't know was even possible. I'm saddened to know that he flies planes now, for it is proof that their is no justice in the world. He should be on a stage in front of forty thousand people every night, and the guys in Linkin Park should be emptying the trash in my office. [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

Comment

"Division's other guitarist played me a Forbidden CD one night, and I instantly became a Calvert fan. Some people do stuff that I know I'll probably never be able to play, but Calvert is doing stuff that I didn't know was even possible. I'm saddened to know that he flies planes now, for it is proof that their is no justice in the world. He should be on a stage in front of forty thousand people every night, and the guys in Linkin Park should be emptying the trash in my office."
                            +1

"I'm with you, Bill. People who don't like them always throw Warrel in my face. Personally, I think they're smoking crack, because the man is totally unique and completely slamming. "The Final Product" was the first Nevermore song I ever heard, and his voice was a breathe of fresh air in a scene full of metalcore screamers."
                            there's definitely too much screaming going on. i'm into death metal, so i'm fine with screamo or growly vocals, but come on, like 95% of the new bands have a "singer" who doesn't actually sing. i personally really like a mix of both, similar to earlier in flames.
                            as for warrel...he's god. kicks the living shit out of so called vocal gods like halford as far as i'm concerned...although he doesn't hold a candle against dio [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            he really has an unique style, his harmonies are very weird at times which is exactly what makes listening to him so enjoyable. my bandmates also rejected nevermore at first, due to warrel.....but with TGE, they apparently got over the vocals (as if that would be necessary [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ), and nowadays they're huge NM fans, esp. the other guitar player....JL kicks his ass [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I aggree...I think Warrel's style sets him apart...that weirdness is what sets him apart from all the other singers..

But not as weird as that talentless, tone deaf, annoying commie, hack in System of a Down ...that everyone seems to love so much..why because a couple tunes have a "crunchy" riff..or two...that's weak!

PUT NEVERMORE ON THE RADIO in CONSTANT ROTATION !!!!...and let's show these kiddies what fuckin' rockin' is all about!!!!

Comment

I think there is a big difference between Warrel then and Warrel now. The last two albums he has dropped his upper register almost completely and I personally think it has really made the material better. Sometimes his upper register would take you out of a song (the end of River Dragon comes to mind). My brother for instance didn't like early Nevermore but the last two albums he has liked quite alot.

As for favorite riffs of Nevermore, its hard to say but I love the almost Zakk Wyldesque squealing on River Dragon but my favorite riff is the first 20 seconds or so of Seed Awakening. That riff just fucking KILLS.

Its funny you should mention the dude from System of the Down, alot of people who I play Nevermore for the first time compare him to the guy from SOAD. I can sort of see it, sometimes Warrel sings with an odd desonance. However the guy from SOAD screams to damn much and he's fucking bad at it. When he just sings straight or brings that wierd edge into his voice he reminds me of Warrel, but thats where the similarities end as far as I am concerned.

Comment

Working...
                                X