Smythe v. Loomis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smythe v. Loomis

No need to rate guitarists like ball players. Loomis and Smyth (and Calvert, for that matter) are kickass players--to have two guitarists of that caliber in one band is amazing.

I admit that Warrel's voice was the factor that kept me away from Nevermore for awhile, because he's so unusual. But his singing sort of creeps up on you, and all of a sudden you really appreciate what he does. Plus, his lyrics are some of the best (if not THE best) in metal.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I admit that Warrel's voice was the factor that kept me away from Nevermore for awhile, because he's so unusual. But his singing sort of creeps up on you, and all of a sudden you really appreciate what he does. Plus, his lyrics are some of the best (if not THE best) in metal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I bought Dead Heart in a Dead World out of the blue one day and I couldn't get over how weird Danes vocals were... now they're probally some of my favorite.

Comment

He's a great song writer as well as a great singer but I think in terms of that Daniel Gildenlow (Pain of Salvation)beats him on both counts. Not to mention Daniel is a pretty fucking wicked guitarist in his own right. How the hell he can sing like he does and play lead guitar like he does I will never know, that takes some serious focus and multi tasking.

Pro is right about rating Loomis and Smyth, they are pretty radically different in style but both monster players in their own right. Having two players of that caliber in a band is very rare.

Nevermore has really broken the barrier in their last two cds, they have sort of filled a early Metallica type niche of thrash meets melodic heavy metal. Its a unique combination thats been missing in metal for some time and its only a shame it took this long for them to get the recognition they deserve, I suspect like Iced Earth their popularity will only continue to grow with each new release. They could stand to make a music video though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Hell even Opeth made one.

Comment

I wish there was more bands like nevermore there new disc is my favorite of 2005

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            They could stand to make a music video though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Hell even Opeth made one.

[/ QUOTE ]

They did. "The Final Product" has been on the HBB a few times.

Comment

Ah I don't have MTV 2 (I have that FUSE thing though) and I've never seen Final Product on FUSE yet. Can't say I make it a point to watch the channel that much though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I found it online, but I had to go through tons of popups and register to recieve a bunch of spam e-mail (no worries, I have an account for just such junk).

If someone can suggest a good video hosting site, I'll post it so no one has to go through what I went through. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

I did see Final Product over at launch.com. Haven't been over there in a while, but it should still be there.
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

I love Warrel's voice. I've been into him since the first Sanctuary disc. Followed him up thru the end of Sanctuary and into Nevermore. One of my favorite singers in my top 5 of all time actually!

Comment

whazup homies.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Yes, I agree with everything said thus far..

there is a bit of a difference between the old and now Warrel..

He does break into Battle Angles every now and then and always nailed it live...but they are tuned down alot from the days of Santuary..who I believe were in stanrad tuning....they don't do it it now...this is when I saw them do FULL 1 and 1/2 hr sets..

I think Warrel is a great singer myself..I dig his approach and lyrics and think he's a breathe of fresh air..in most metal genres today..be it Power/Prog/Hardcore and that Emo crap..

alot of bands sound way too much like each other..it takes a cool frontman to set them apart like this..IMO
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

this godless endeavor is probably my fave album of 2005

Comment

I easily second that! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                          X