Dimebag giving us an insight into the squeaaaaalss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dimebag giving us an insight into the squeaaaa

He does the pulling off and the natural harmonic, both with his left hand.

As long as you make sure you don't fret the string, you can pluck the string with your left hand.

You CAN also tap your NH with your right hand, at for example the 12th fret, when your left hand is doing legato stuff or something around the 1st / 2nd fret.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

yeah well i play from the zakk school of shred a lot so harmonics are a big part of my style and the more ways to play harmonics the better!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

will playing it dime style have the same effect as just dipping the bar then picking the harmonic and raising? coz thats what i tend to do..

Comment

I'm not sure, but the sonic effect can't be too different.

Comment

pull off on the G HARD and depress the bar..not too long or the string will stop vibrating.

then as you are letting the whammy back up you gently TOUCH the string as you would a normal harmonic..the 5th and 4th frets are the easiest to practice with..for me...the 3rd and 2nd frets ones are a bit harder..harder to hit those right on the money.

Practice getting good harmonics first..you'll learn where to hit them..you want to make them ring as loud as possible..then you can pull it sharp and get all jiggy with it..

Lots of gain or distortion is mandatory!!

the other touch harmonics ..are the same techniques Ed does on stuff like "Dance the Night away"..if you fret a note and let it ring...touching gently it 12 frets up should give you a octave harmonic...well Ed slaps his harmonics on that..but if just touch them they'll ring.

Vai and Satch do these all the time....Vai does it with his toungue. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I do it with my pud! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

hahaha

does it have to be shit loads of gain? i don't want my sond to be too saturated especially in a typical just rock band ( corrosion of conformity / down is as heavy as the sound really gets ) is there a way to skew the eq / contour control so that the 2nd 3rd fret harmonics come out easier without losing the clarity of the sound i have in my head?

Comment

You do need enough gain to exececute this stuff..as much as possible really...any decent high gained metal tone will do...

if it's classic marshall gain..it won't sound right..you'll need a stomp for assist.

you just need enough gain / distortion / overdrive to push the note to sustain.

It doesn't have to be that saturated...classic EVH tone will work at a minimum..a little more will definitely help tho. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

more or less mids d'ya reckon?

Comment

More (higher) mids, it makes your sound harmonically richer.

Comment

hmmm...mids don't effect it too much IMO...that'll only help if you want to cut through more in the mix with your band or something..

but nothing to be too concerned about while practicing this stuff..

I can do it just the same if I burry my mid knob or crank it..

Comment

BTW...some slapback delay definitely helps..as you can see from the Dime vid!

Practice this with your normal high gain tone..distortion and delay is pretty essential!

If I'm in mid song/solo what I like to do is do a pinch harmonic on the G at the 2nd fret...then I dump the bar into a crazy divebomb..and when the bar is on the upswing hit a harmonic at the 4th or 5th fret ..So I get a squeal going down and I grab one coming back up..

Comment

just rip down on the 3 string bend on the trem and rise
                        on the harmonics dudes [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Cool.. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I was just goin' DIME with my kid for an hour ...driving my wife NUTS!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Our first official geetar jam with his Christmas Jackson!!

We were jammin'! [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

grad of the dime school of shred here, kickin these is def a part of my diet! Need any more help via vid I can supply.

oh and thanks alot bill, that whole vai thing....now all I can taste is steel and the vibrations have made my tongue feel funny [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            The vid for this is payperview though [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]....you're welcome BIBZ!!

I read years ago Steve Vai saying that did tickle! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I rarely do the reverse whammy (Vai)...I used to always pop a string EVERYTIME I did that...so I don't do that anymore..

But I can play the intro to Meanstreet with my Pud!!!

That's my claim to fame!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Eddie?
                                The master shows how its done on the intro to meanstreet.
                                Learn this is intro correctly and you have done something most won't/can't every do. Believe me, it'll take you awhile. When you do, its a wonderful thang baby.

The harmonic squeal...
                                Bill explained it exactly right.
                                Its a very gentle touch.
                                Your not smacking or flipping the string, if you do this it won't work. Its a very gentle "TOUCH" on the easiest fret to sound the harmonic.

BTW, Dime is a rare one and I loved his personility that comes out in the video. Just a regular joe he seems to me.
                                Not arrogant and stupid like some great players.
                                He's definitely inspired many and clearly left a lasting impression on many. Kudos.
                                Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Working...
                                X