Dimebag giving us an insight into the squeaaaaalss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dimebag giving us an insight into the squeaaaa

Dime was truly a awesome down to earth Mo Fo...what a shame man..what a loss..

he was a master of the squeal..he took the ball that Ed threw and ran with it..Zakk too..I think Dime used it much more in a musical context than Zakk does..like in the video..he's hitting octave harmonics in key changes or vocal lines..like Cemetary Gates.

Zakk uses it as a (!!!)...to make a point..I fall somewhere in between but not as good as either ..but I can sure squeal..used to drive Cleve John NUTS with that shit. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But I LOVE to do it..and do it well.

we all came from the Ed school..I didn't try and copy Zakk or copy Dime..but all of us copied Ed!

If you copied Ed..chances are you can squeal like a banshi..

If you remeber the demo I posted..I do a tip of the hat to Dime and it was before he got killed..I was going for a that dime "vibe" in "scapegoat"..

Dime RULED...there will be never be another Dimebag..what a shame!! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

And this is why Dime will NEVER be forgotten! fuck he was a master! GODAMN BROTHER! that vid was great to see!

RIP IT UP!

Chris

Comment

Awesome vid! Thanks!

Comment

Billy Gibbons is the father of the squeals
          Eddie learned from Billy, so did Dime and Zakk.
          John Sykes is the most intense squealer I've ever heard, Zakk has copied his style a lot but he is not that extreme as Sykes.

Squeals like this in the middle of the solo http://www.youtube.com/w/Blue-Murder...h=john%20sykes
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

John Petrucci uses the squeals awesomely too. He plays a solo, then has this beautiful climactic end with a bend with PERFECT Vibrato and at the height of the bend he pinches the string, creating a pinch harmonic, that's a couple of octaves up, that is about the most orgasmic sound I've ever heard come out of a guitar.
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

E ..Good call on Billy and Sykes!

petrucci...oh yeah, that dude smokes.

Steve Stevens and Brad Gillis is some squealin' bastids too!
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Awesome video man, thanks for sharing!
                Does anyone actually have a link to the video itself rather than the flash player thing? I'd like to download i.

Comment

all I need is some boost, I was always pretty decent at squealing. i use the back half of my pinky when i play them. You can get the beefy Zakk type ones when you do it this way. I dont know why I learned them that way, it just felt more comfortable. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                  Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Check out the solo from Dream Theater's Light Fuse And Get Away (from their first album), the ending has the greatest squeaal of all time in it.

Comment

None of my guitars have trems, but seeing this makes you want a guitar with a recessed floyd. Very kick ass.

Comment

I am late, but I will add that Eric Johnson uses harmonics in a very rich and musical way. He is not a squealer, but he is the master of using tapped harmonics over chords to bring out the octave. He will also pinch a harmonic as a tool to achieve a note that fingering would not make possible. You can hear several examples of this on Cliffs of Dover.

Me, I like to squeal like a pig!!!

Mike
                        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

EJ knows at least 20 different ways how to play different harmonics.
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I know 20 ways to play a different harmonic too! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

20 ways to play the same! Now that's the real beezkneez! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: Dimebag giving us an insight into the squeaaaaalss

Woah.
                              Thanks for sharing that, Ward!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                              Makes me want to get a guitar with a whammy on it, heh.

Comment

Sweeeeet. Thanks for the post.

Comment

Working...
                                X