Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SRV sound

Gent's,
    wondering if anyone knows what stevie used for effects and how he got his sound. I know that he used heavy gauge strings and tuned a half step down but dont know anything else...help.

Re: SRV sound

Ibanez TS-808 -> Two Vox wahs -> Clean Fender Twin Reverb or Dumble amp.

Comment

Some say he had 13s but, that would turn a 25.5 scale guitar only 1/2 step below standard tuning into a bow...I would think. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I guy I know who is obsessed with SRV said he actually used 11s. I tend to believe that but I'm sure I'll be told otherwise very soon... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

I heard that he was using 13s, but changed to 11s. The dude had some strong hands. They must've felt like rubber bands when he first switched gauges!

I have (a long, loooong time ago) had a 25 1/2" scale guitar strung with 13s a half step down. Of course, I didn't know much about neck bow & truss rods & stuff like that back then. But the guitar was still playable, and I think it sounded pretty good.
        Hail yesterday

Comment

According to Rene Martinez, Stevie's guitar tech (in Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide, 2nd ed., p.44), Stevie used 13s as late as 1989, but occasionally substituted an 0.011 on the high E.

Comment

The majority of Stevie's tone came from his playing style.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              The majority of Stevie's tone came from his playing style.

[/ QUOTE ]
              Yep, and he's was a rare jewel definitely one of a kind.

I do recall, in various magazine articles in the studio he played through alot of times a Fender bass amp. If I'm not mistaken thats what amp he used for his little wing version.
              Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I heard he used a shitload of amps in combination..and 13's.
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That correct. He would use a wall of vintage and boutique amps when he recorded. He also used big strings, high action, bass frets and combined that with the most explosive viscious percussive playing style of any guitarist ever. The key to the SRV tone is to play all 6 strings as much as possible. Even when he was riffing he would be doing it with a wicked strumming technique.
                  I am a big fan of SRV and I have studied his style for a while now. I am in the process this winter of mastering it (I hope). I can rip SRV off note for note but I need to be playing along with him. As soon as the backing track stops I lose his style. He is MUCH harder to play than many people think. Malmsteen's style was easier.
                  SRV played the ENTIRE guitar all the time. Not just a few strings.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That correct. He would use a wall of vintage and boutique amps when he recorded. He also used big strings, high action, bass frets and combined that with the most explosive viscious percussive playing style of any guitarist ever. The key to the SRV tone is to play all 6 strings as much as possible. Even when he was riffing he would be doing it with a wicked strumming technique.
                    I am a big fan of SRV and I have studied his style for a while now. I am in the process this winter of mastering it (I hope). I can rip SRV off note for note but I need to be playing along with him. As soon as the backing track stops I lose his style. He is MUCH harder to play than many people think. Malmsteen's style was easier.
                    SRV played the ENTIRE guitar all the time. Not just a few strings.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I said in another post about copping his style. Much of it was in his strumming hand. You have to attack all of the strings, and learn how to mute the ones you don't want to ring...so you are always raking and scraping...it is VERY difficult. You also have to murder the guitar, his style was very aggressive. You literally shake the shit out of the guitar. It is a workout.

As far as amps, Stevie liked to use Black Face Supers and Twins, Brown Vibroverbs, Tweed Bassmans, Dumbles and various Marshalls, including JCM800s. He also used the aforementioned Tube Screamer to push them.

Mike
                    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Texas Flood vid. This has great closeups of his technique.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...stevie+vaughan

The behind-the-back at around 7:30, omfg [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Little Wing. Not as many closeups, but awesome anyway

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...stevie+vaughan

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Ibanez TS-808 -> Two Vox wahs -> Clean Fender Twin Reverb or Dumble amp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks guys, lots of info. agreed that Stevie was one of a kind and his style is not the easiest to copy.

anyone confirm that he used these effects?

thanks

Comment

He used TS-9s as well, sometimes two in series, and Vox Wahs most of the time, sometimes crybabies, all into lots of different Fender tube amps, as well as many other boutique brands.

Comment

I have even seen it said he used ts-10s at one point.

Seriously - it is 90% stevie, 10% gear.

I worked with a guy recently that new stevie and played in a band where stevie showed up at 17 years old and made them all just say 'Dayum!'

My guitar teacher was an austin local and had me use my thumb for the low e fretting for fun back when I started (1985). I still do it, even though I cut that bastard off with a table saw 13 years ago - don't worry, they put it back together - and it pretty much works too! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

If you look close during the octaves section of Little Wing, you can see how high his action was set.

Comment

Working...
                              X