Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SRV sound

[ QUOTE ]
    .... He is MUCH harder to play than many people think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that, John. I've messed around with a couple of his songs (and not the tough ones either) and they were very involved. SRV was extremely expansive with his note selection. But I'm sure he didn't give it a lot of thought. I'd bet that his songs just flowed from his soul into his hands. You can see it in his playing. With so many copy-cat guitarists out there, it's great to be able to look back and see an original.
    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

I wrap my thumb too. SRV got it from Jimmy. I got it from Jimmy too. Hendrix was the first solo style I ever tried and I have been wrapping my thumb ever since.
      Stevie was a monster of a player. The most aggressive expressive total guitar player in history.
      He didn't even need a band.
      I agree with all said above. Most of his tone came from his fingers and his strat.
      He used many types of Fender, Dumble and boutique amps. He also used Tube Screamers (TS808) and Crybaby's. He went with multiple amp rigs both live and in the studio.

Comment

When I saw Stevie at Jazzfest, right before he died, it was a religious experience. It was like communing with God. I was such a SRV nut, I was just beside myself. He was INCREDIBLE. Even live in an open venue, his tone was insane. He had such a stage presence, he was just amazing.

He was also a good person, or at least it seemed that he was. I didn't know him personally, so I am only going on what I have read of him and seen on TV, etc.

Anyway, I wish he were still here to give us the best blues guitar ever created, EVER. SRV has never been eclipsed in the world of the blues, and he never will be. He was the best ever, period.

Mike
        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Tin Pan Alley the live version is a masterpiece, its my all time favorite of his. A pentatonic beauty.
          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Stevie only got better, too bad he died, he just began to discover and experiment with some other stuff.

"Riviera Paradise" is the best example, totally different approach than the older stuff he did, and it is one of the best and one of the most emotional instrumentals ever made.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              When I saw Stevie at Jazzfest, right before he died, it was a religious experience. It was like communing with God. I was such a SRV nut, I was just beside myself. He was INCREDIBLE. Even live in an open venue, his tone was insane. He had such a stage presence, he was just amazing.

He was also a good person, or at least it seemed that he was. I didn't know him personally, so I am only going on what I have read of him and seen on TV, etc.

Anyway, I wish he were still here to give us the best blues guitar ever created, EVER. SRV has never been eclipsed in the world of the blues, and he never will be. He was the best ever, period.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

+1,000000000000000000000
              Nobody will ever attack a stratocaster like that again.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Stevie only got better, too bad he died, he just began to discover and experiment with some other stuff.

"Riviera Paradise" is the best example, totally different approach than the older stuff he did, and it is one of the best and one of the most emotional instrumentals ever made.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stevie did that song in one take, live. He said he was either going to nail it once, or it would sound like elevator music if he tried a second take.

It is a beautiful, lush song.

Mike

Comment

I think he changed gear all the time like most of us! But there is an awesome interview with Cesar Diaz at tonequest.com talking about his work with SRV and his equipment, and the that SRV couldn't wash dishes! http://www.tonequest.com/pdf_pubs/samples/TQRDiaz.pdf
                  I love admins!

Comment

That is an awesome article!
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I think he changed gear all the time like most of us! But there is an awesome interview with Cesar Diaz at tonequest.com talking about his work with SRV and his equipment, and the that SRV couldn't wash dishes! http://www.tonequest.com/pdf_pubs/samples/TQRDiaz.pdf

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a great article. He sure does like to toot his own horn though!!

Mike

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but he's in business, so it's understandable. That said, I agree with you. Even as much of a gearhound as I am, I strongly doubt that SRV had a "shit" sound until he met Oscar Diaz. SRV's tone was definitely mostly in those monster hands of his.

Back when I played bluesy stuff in college, I had a Legend 60W combo that I became a bit unhappy with--I just wasn't getting the intense SRV sound I wanted. At a local jam session, this old-timer with his Gibson Firebird asked if he could use my amp, and I told him he could but that I didn't think it was all that great. So he proceeds to plug in and just set the place on fire. He told me the amp sounded just fine to him... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but he's in business, so it's understandable. That said, I agree with you. Even as much of a gearhound as I am, I strongly doubt that SRV had a "shit" sound until he met Oscar Diaz. SRV's tone was definitely mostly in those monster hands of his.

Back when I played bluesy stuff in college, I had a Legend 60W combo that I became a bit unhappy with--I just wasn't getting the intense SRV sound I wanted. At a local jam session, this old-timer with his Gibson Firebird asked if he could use my amp, and I told him he could but that I didn't think it was all that great. So he proceeds to plug in and just set the place on fire. He told me the amp sounded just fine to him... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, SRV could have gone up there with a Pignose on his belt and laid everyone down in 5 minutes.

I enjoyed the article, but when he says stuff like he gave SRV his tone, I roll my eyes. Stevie's tone was in his hands, not in his amps or guitars.

Mike

Comment

Great gear will make an already great player sound even better, but there is no combination of highly tweaked Dumbles, Fenders, and Marshalls on Earth that would make me sound like SRV...

Not that that is what I'm going for anymore. I'm in a bit of an anti-retro phase right now. I want to hear new sounds.

Comment

http://www.tonequest.com/pdf_pubs/samples/TQRDiaz.pdf

[/ QUOTE ]

Gentlemen,
                              thank you again for all the info. I tried clicking on the ling but no go. did anyone else have a problem?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a great story! Too bad we can't blame our gear as often as we'd like to!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Working...
                                X