SRV sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SRV sound

Someone mentioned Stevie using an Ibanez TS-808 and TWO Vox wahs. Actually, what I was told was that Stevie would use 2 Tubescreamers, and 1 Vox wah (flip-flopped, as oppposed to the aforementioned). He would actually kick in the second TS, for additional gain, when needed.
    I'm not Ron!

Comment

[/ QUOTE ]Exactly, SRV could have gone up there with a Pignose on his belt and laid everyone down in 5 minutes.

I enjoyed the article, but when he says stuff like he gave SRV his tone, I roll my eyes. Stevie's tone was in his hands, not in his amps or guitars.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

I beg to differ!! Someones tone is different from their playablity!! Apples and Oranges!! Don't get them confused!! Tone is all amps, and guitars! Playability/style are all about the player!!
      Cesar Diaz is just as a legend to Amp building, as musch as SRV is to Guitar playing!! Thank god they met!! Lol!!
      I love admins!

Comment

I love SRVs playing but his stuff is tough to play. Even when i try pride and joy, i'm playing the notes but it just doesn't sound right, if that makes sense. Maybe I'll try attacking the strings like you guys mention.
        Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I am REALLY getting good at ripping SRV off now that I am using these instructional video's. Its the little things that make the difference.

Comment

jg - which videos?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              jg - which videos?

[/ QUOTE ]

Guitar Signature Licks: Best of Stevie Ray Vaughan
              This guy Greg Koch (who is a total goofball) is the instructor. Its just licks. Not complete songs. He is a good teacher. He's an idiot... but a good teacher. You can hit the advance button and bypass all his talking dribble.
              I knew most of the licks on the DVD already but there are the little nuances that Steve had that this guy really explains. Picking and strumming techniques especially.
              Its not for the beginner. He assumes you already know how to play the songs. Its a must have if you REALLY want to nail SRV licks 100% accurately.

Comment

Thanks John, I'll check that one out. What about an SRV live video, which one would you guys recommend? The two that I know of are Live at ElMacambo (sp?) and Live in Austin. But I haven't seen any of them.

Comment

both are good, but the El Mocambo show is smooookin'. Plus I dig the intimate club setting better than the live tv studio vibe of the Austin City Limits show. But SRV is great on both, of course, and you really need to buy both [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

I've got a VHS show of SRV in Germany or some european country - haven't watched it in years. Come to think of it, it may be rare [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    I should watch it and see if it's worth encoding and uploading for the JCF crowd tonight....
                    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I am REALLY getting good at ripping SRV off now that I am using these instructional video's. Its the little things that make the difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW! You do think your good, don't you. Lets hear some of your SRV...

Comment

The video I have is "Rockpalast - Loreley Outdoor Music Festival 8-25-84 - German TV WDR" and "Easter Seals Telethon - Canada" is that already widely available?
                        When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]
                          jg - which videos?

[/ QUOTE ]

Guitar Signature Licks: Best of Stevie Ray Vaughan
                          This guy Greg Koch (who is a total goofball) is the instructor. Its just licks. Not complete songs. He is a good teacher. He's an idiot... but a good teacher. You can hit the advance button and bypass all his talking dribble.
                          I knew most of the licks on the DVD already but there are the little nuances that Steve had that this guy really explains. Picking and strumming techniques especially.
                          Its not for the beginner. He assumes you already know how to play the songs. Its a must have if you REALLY want to nail SRV licks 100% accurately.

[/ QUOTE ]
                          Hey john, I looked it up on MF and he has two SRV videos (different songs on each). Does it include a tab book, or is it onscreen, or is there nothing? Thanks.

Comment

Its just licks. Normal speed only. He breaks them down pretty good. There isn't much on the DVD but what is shown is 100% accurate. No book, no tab, no nothing. The beige/brown colored DVD case version assumes you already are a pretty good player. Its not a beginners video for sure. The one I have has Scuttle Buttin, Empty Arms, Can't Stand the Weather, Crossroads etc.. on it. He only shows the most prominent licks on the songs. I got alot of good stuff out of it.

Comment

I picked up one of the Sig. licks DVDs yesterday. I got the other one with Honeybee, Pride and Joy, Lenny, etc. I didn't have much time with it last night but did get to work on pride and joy. You're right, it made all the difference in how I play it. Especially the verse "walking" riff. Like I said, I was playing the notes but didn't have the feel right. After watching his lesson, I played it so much better. Thanks for the info about these DVDs!
                              You were also right about needing to have the songs down or pretty close to it before this DVD will help you. I need to work on the other songs a lot more before using the DVD.

Comment

His DVD's are very helpful in nailing the SRV style.

Comment

Working...
                                X