Remasters!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remasters!

Lately I've been listening to a bunch of remasters and a few are just astonishing, good enough that it's like hearing the music for the first time. Some I'd put in that category:

Steve Hoffman's remasters of Aqualung, Highway 61 Revisited, & Who's Next are simply stunning.

Anyone else have suggestions for others they think really elevated the original digital releases?
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Re: Remasters!

Living Colour's remastered Vivid was good.

I thought the original remasters of Ozzy's Blizzard & Diary were very good. The "new" remasters with the rerecorded bass & drums were awful (not that I've heard them, on principle)
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Steve Hoffman's stuff is on a level of its own but some others I thought were good were the Sabbath discs from the Black Box set and the AC/DC discs from the AC/DC in the 20th Century set with the earlier discs in both sets benefitting more.
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

i've got a couple of the pink floyd remasters - very well done. the recent rolling stones remasters are excellent too.
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I bought the entire remastered Judas Priest catalog, and aside from reversing Tipton/Downing's sides on the Defenders album, all is top notch- especially screaming. Who would have thought Rick Astley - the cheeziest singer on the planet could do that to an entire catalog!

I wish I oculd personally pay someone to put real drums on Ram it down. It is the album that made me quit metal for 12 years.

On the other hand, I bought the Blizzard of Ozz remastered with 'the scabs' as I call the bassist and drummer.

Although it really does sound like the drums and bass are just clearer (I paid attention to the bass, I didn't 'listen' to the drums) I am sickened by it.

The Zepplin remasters are the only reason I can listen to them too. I got headaches from the crappy mix of zepplin's Coda in high school.
          When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

442w30,

Im sure you'll like my AVATAR then. I love Ram it down!!!

Just curious though, WHAT did they do with the drummin on that album, is it all computerised or sampled somehow, did they just do it on computer and not have a studio drummer?!?

Great album, but the drums always did sound "too perfect"

Comment

I am curious as to how Metallica's Rhide The Lightning sounds remastered. I still listen to my origional cd all the time. One guy told me that he could not tell the difference. That can't be. There has to be some sound quality difference??!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I thought the original remasters of Ozzy's Blizzard & Diary were very good. The "new" remasters with the rerecorded bass & drums were awful (not that I've heard them, on principle)

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more with your "principle".

Comment

ride the lightning sounds cool anyway - i'm more interested in whether they've remastered ...and justice for all with..shock horror...some bass!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I am curious as to how Metallica's Rhide The Lightning sounds remastered. I still listen to my origional cd all the time. One guy told me that he could not tell the difference. That can't be. There has to be some sound quality difference??!!

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is pretty minor. I have the DCC versions of Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets and they might be marginally better but aren't worth the price of admission IMHO.

Comment

i haven't heard anything about them remastering metallica cd's.

the iron maiden remasters SUCK!!! they sound like they were remade to sound better in computer speakers and lost all the specialness that made them so good back in the day. also they f-ed up the track listing. on peice of mind the song # switches over before the last of the breaks or punches in the trooper!

as for the ozzie albums.
                      sharon has butchered them beyond repair. going back to the master reels, re-recording all the drums and bass so she wouldn't have to pay royalties out. hiring shmucks who didn't know how to use the equip and get the sounds back on the album, not "fixing" ozzies' vocals or mixing them properly. (just listen to him crack on songs where he didn't on the original versions.) totally butchered randy's guitar tone!

what an abomination!
                      don't buy the remastered Blizzard of OZ!

overall the idea of re-mastering upsets me. a record is a piece of time captured on media. it was ment to sound a certain way and because of the time it was recorded, and the gear it was recorded, mixed, and mastered on. the artist, engineer, and producer spent a lot of time with THAT gear making it sound THAT way. these remasters are ruining all their hard work.

its almost like all these remasters are coming out to keep the younger generation from knowing how much better the anolog sound world really was. "if they don't know what they are missing they won't complain."

i could go on and on about this, but you get the idea.

again i haven't heard of them altering the masters for the metallica albums, if they do i will go out and buy the old ones again.

i have not heard a re-master that sounds as good as the original or better. SO STOP IT ALLREADY AND JUST REPRESS THEM AS IS. "but its not as loud as the newer style production" - TURN YOUR STEREO UP YOU LAZY ASS!

[img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

They've definitely remastered some of the Metallica albums.

Comment

Sleep - Dopesmoker

Comment

Sharon didnt stop with the rhoads era remasters.She fucked up Bark at the moon as well to avoid paying Carmine and Bob.They re-recorded the bass and drums as well. On Rock and Roll rebel, they doubled jakes intro, took out 4 of the 5 solos and replaced them with scratch track solos instead.And there are several parts that i swear i hear Zakk Wylde's pinch harmonics and style.

Center of eternity , the keys are twice as loud in the intro, then the rest of the song when it kicks in.

There are class action lawsuits against the assbournse for killing these classics.

Sharon delted the ultimate sin from the catolog altogether because she didnt want to pay Phil Soussan royalties for shot in the dark.

She ruined so many careers , ozzys was just for starters.Hate is too kind of a word to use when speaking about her.

Comment

> I haven't heard most of the ones mentioned here,but have heard a SACD remaster of Dark Side Of The Moon,a selection I've listened to most of my life,and heard things on it that were NOT there before,at least not where I could hear it. The SACD format is basically Dolby Digital 5.1,but requires a SACD-compatible player to get the most from it. One of the highest quality recordings of ALL time is the first Boston album,to me anyway. It even sounds great on vinyl,I can't imagine a remaster of it sounding much better. Tommy D.
                              "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Working...
                              X