Remasters!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Remasters!

One Cd that I like that has a poor production is Anthrax "Spreading The Disease" Great tunes but seriously lacking any punch.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      They've definitely remastered some of the Metallica albums.

[/ QUOTE ]

DCC remasters are a different story altogether. (these guys are audiophiles) they pride themselves on the integrity of the original. where the original was not on cd but reels or records. basically they copied the audio from its original media to gold cds and maintained the sonic brilliance of the original master reel or record.

laying a mix to vynil was the original mastering process. everything sounded bigger and beefier once it was recorded to vinyl. a lot of it had to do with the way vynil naturally compressed audio.

when cd's first came out the record companies would just copy the vynil records to cd.

then they started mastering as we know it to get that same (ok its not the same at all) sonic fidelity to cd that they used to get to vinyl. granted the dynamic range was chopped... but you pay a price for the conveinence of the compact disk.

i think i'd rather buy the dcc gold disc's of metallica than the original cd's cause they were brought to cd in a better process from the master reels. in essence a better first master.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I couldn't agree more about the DCC remasters. Hoffman has some great stories about what they've turned up on occasion. They sometimes get boxes and boxes of the original 2-track masters and spend weeks sorting through them to find the best bits. I'd rather have the DCC version of anything. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Working...
        X