Savatage - alone you breathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savatage - alone you breathe

I haven't been into Savatage before, but I'm trying to get into their stuff so maybe you guys can point out what are the must have albums? I only have the song "alone you breathe"...I know it sounds a bit corny but this song is soo awesome; it's even brought me to tears a couple of times, even though I don't know quite what it is but it is very authentic and powerful and it definitely strikes a chord.

I know this song is dedicated to Jon Oliva's late brother so I suppose that's a big reason it is so good...oh btw the solo has very nice phrasing!

Re: Savatage - alone you breathe

"Hall of the Mountain King"
    "Gutter Ballet"
    "Edge of Thorns"

Alvin
    MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Hall of the Mountain King, is must have. That was the breakthrough release, although they had several CD's before that one.

Power of the Night is good and worthy of having, but this a raw less produced Savatage.

Streets: A Rock Opera, is certainly great. As is is Gutter Ballet. Those are a more polished later era Savatage.

All of those are classic Criss Oliva. After he died, Savatage died as well.

Comment

^ What they said... +1
        Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

Handful of Rain was great. I think Alex Skolnick did an admirable job on that album.

Comment

ooh savatage - i have a load of that somewhere...i'll have to give it a listen

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              All of those are classic Criss Oliva. After he died, Savatage died as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN
              MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

One of my favorite bands also. I just watched Hall Of The Mountain King on an old VHS cassette that I have.

Comment

Definitely Hall of the Mountain King. I have all the older stuff too, Power of the Night, Sirens, Fight for the Rock, but HOTMK kicked my ass. Gutter Ballet is also a fave of mine.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I listened to alot of Savatage about five, six years back... certainly a great and very underrated band, which I think peaked around Gutter Ballet and Streets. But I´m of the opinion that they still put out some high quality albums after Criss passed away. Dead Winter Dead, for example, is in my opinion a very good album, with Al Pitrelli handling most of the leads.

Comment

Anything from Power Of The Night up through either Handful of Rain or Edge of Thorns (can't remember which came last).

You might check out Trans-Syberian Orchestra. They have a Savatagey feel to them. Wizards of Winter and Sarejevo (which was on a Savatage album (Dead Winter Dead?)).

Savatage RULES...especially Hall Of The Mountain King...Madness Reigns, it the hall, of the mountaing king...

[img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

After Criss died, Savatage died.

If they had released that stuff as a different band I would have been thinking it was pretty great if I heard it. To call it Savatage was definitely a misnomer. It was definitely not Savatage.

Comment

the last three albums with Criss were the best IMHO, the earlier stuff was too cheesy for my taste, the latter stuff was groovier and well composed. Also Criss' lead tone on the last albums was pretty killer.
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            the last three albums with Criss were the best IMHO, the earlier stuff was too cheesy for my taste, the latter stuff was groovier and well composed. Also Criss' lead tone on the last albums was pretty killer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel just the opposite. I love the earlier stuff. I saw the Gutter Ballet video this weekend, but it doesn't do it for me like Sirens, Dungeon, PTON, etc.

I love the thick tone on Sirens. I guess since I grew up on these older ones, maybe that's why I like them so much. I still remember the first time I heard Sirens - I was blown away.

Comment

Dead Winter Dead and Poets and Madmen are great as well. I don't buy into the whole "when Criss died Savatage died" BS. No they aren't the same. But to be honest DWD and Poets are probably better overall cds than Edge of Thorns..

My biggest problem with early Savatage is that Oliva's voice just freaking annoyed the hell out of me.

Comment

Working...
                              X