No announcement yet.

Scorpions appreciatation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't Rudolf Schenker have his own signature Engl amp or something these days? What is Jabs playing through?
    "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Originally posted by Soap View Post
      Yes sir they indeed do.
      I love Soldanos man, they don't have all the bells and whistles like others but they have great long lasting craftmanship and the sound you get from a SLO or even a HR-50 is darn near perfection to my ears.

Yeah, I Owned a HR100 and a Korean made Soldano 60..which I thought sounded even better than the HR..weird. The 60 sounded exactly like "Unchained" to my ears..I played many SLO's..and Yes, I always played "Blackout"..

Bill
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Scorps have been blessed with killer guitarists. To have a guy like Jabs come along after Uli is something like having Brian Johnson come along after Bon Scott. Rudolph is a great guitarist in his own right. All that leadwork on Still Loving You and the main lead in Big City Nights a lot of people think is Jabs but that is Rodolph.

Matt

Comment

Jabs kicks ass ! In addition to being a killer player, he's got one of the best lead tones ever.
          I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

How do you achieve a tone similar to Mattihas' tone on Love at first sting? It was something to do with a wah pedal set to a certain position? can anyone tell me more about it?

Comment

Originally posted by masterofsolos View Post
              How do you achieve a tone similar to Mattihas' tone on Love at first sting? It was something to do with a wah pedal set to a certain position? can anyone tell me more about it?
              Take a slightly modded marshall JCM800 a Gibson Explorer with a Dirty fingers pup and maybe a bit of eq and you should get close. The dirty fingers are a mid range sweet pickup with quite a bit of gain but still retaining clearity. There may be an MXR distortion plus in the mix too.

I love ths Scorps. I've loved them ever since "the Zoo" the first scorps song i heard on the radio. I saw MSG with Uli a few years back and both were insanley good. Uli was utterly amaizing. I can definately see where Yngwie gets his chops. Uli was on stage by himself with a video backdrop and a sound track of classical playing behind him. And it was definately him playing he would on occasion change something or add a not here or there to let ya know it wasnt a track with him faking it. Schenker was on that night too. Uli came out and did an MSG song with Michael and it blew my mind. I dont remember exactly which song cus it wasa few years ago but ido remember being blown away by the onslaught of tone and talent. I've seen the Scorps twice and although there was an issue with the talk box during Jabbs solo in The Zoo his solos were dead on and hos playing was incredable all night long.
              Rudy was awsome too. They both had great tone live. was itjustme or was there a Strat style guitar that Jabbs was playing that had a P-bass style pup in it? maybe it was just the video i saw. But it looked weird and yet cool all at once. I've got every scorps album from blackout to unbreakable. I like unbreakable its more like thier old stuff without being dated. But it does seem to be lacking something.
              Gil

Comment

One of the first heavy songs I ever learned from start to finish was "Arizona" off of Blackout. I focused on Rudolf Schenker rhythms through HS and his influence kept me playing and not giving up.

Back in HS, "Love at First Sting" was the first metal to find widespread popularity with jocks, preps, stoners, and rockers. It was playing at every kegger in 84-85 along with VH -1984, Beatie Boys - ILL, and Prince - Purple Rain.

"World Wide Live" was awesome. I think I had the album and I wore the tape out. About 10 years ago I bought the CD. It isn't the same. The mix is off, level is weak, and Jab's solo 6-String Sting is missing.

"Herman Ze German" was a real treat. I wore that cassette out too. I've lost several eBay bids trying to by the CD over the years. I ended up salvaging the actual XDR tape that was still good. I opened it up and transferred it to a Maxell case. All the drag and squeeks are gone now.

The last Scorps release I've heard has "Rhythm of Love" on it but IMO, the badass track on it was "Love on the Run". I should run out to the used CD place and grab that.

Finally, I saw them live with Dio and Deep Purple about 5 years ago. Jabs was having an awful night with his mic and road crew solving the problem. He was visibly pissed with the guys offstage. Sadly, it effected his whole performance.

Comment

Scorpions appreciatation

Here I am! Scorps are my favorite band

WORLD WIDE LIVE IS THE BEST ALBUM OF ALL TIME!
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTs4p6t7jMI

Comment

Love the Scorpions. One of my all time favs. Seen them many times live and Jabs was great. I am sure he has had an off night but the 4 or 5 times I have seen them they all sounded great. Some of the Uli Roth stuff is good too but the best stuff IMO is on Lovedrive/Blackout/LAFS. World Wide Live is one of my favorite live albums ever.

I had an 85 Explorer that was from the factory (Custom shop) that was part of the "Rock you like a hurricane" series. It was all mahogany (All of the art graphic series that they did back then weer alder with maple necks) and it had the stripes on it from the factrory. Tunamatic with an ebony fretboard too. It had gold hardware. Played the hell out of it. The dirty fingers pickups in it sounded pretty good. I have pics if anyone is interested...

A Soldano SLO get the sound instantly.
                    Last edited by Firebird V; 12-16-2006, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Well, here's something to have against the Scorps: They made me want to learn the guitar, so you have them to blame for adding another mediocre guitarist to the masses!

...but I've had fun being mediocre.

Comment

Originally posted by atilla View Post
                        Well, here's something to have against the Scorps: They made me want to learn the guitar, so you have them to blame for adding another mediocre guitarist to the masses!

...but I've had fun being mediocre.
                        Clearly the THD Univalve amp helps things, no?
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          Clearly the THD Univalve amp helps things, no?
                          You bet! The Uni makes EVERYTHING more fun!

Comment

Indeed it does!
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I never cared about their music at all. One of the public activities in Germany were a Promotion thing for Mercedes Benz when the whole band got 500SLs. Later they mingled in public with - now - former chancellor Schröder of Germany.

Not my taste at all.

Comment

Jabs is good but he's certainly not THIS good..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5r16...related&search=
                                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                                X