just saw 311 tonite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just saw 311 tonite

@ The Grove in Anaheim. they rocked. Tim Mahoney is such a versatile player, he can do every different style of music so well - funk, metal, jazz, ska, punk...he played the same red quilt PRS all night. they were really good. Pnut is a sick bass player too.

they had a great vibe and really put on a great show. [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Re: just saw 311 tonite

I love 311 dude....glad the show was good.

Comment

I love 311 as well. I've seen them a handful of times back in the 90's. I admit, I stopped listening after the Transistor album because IMHO Nick was just whining songs and they all sounded the same. But the first 3 albums are just simply great!! They are a very diverse band and definitely worth a listen to anyone who is looking to branch out in their listening.
      Occupy JCF

Comment

Tekky, I like about half their stuff, but what I like, I really like. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

you might want to check out their more recent cd From Chaos. I know what you mean about their thing sometimes getting a bit stale, but that cd has a lot of good music and good jams on it. that's the one that got me into them.

Comment

I've got "From Chaos". It's the last album I bought. I just don't listen to it. They were taking the trippy love songs way too far for my tastes. I think they need to get off the weed-wagon and start smoking it again. Music, Grassroots, and the blue album are the best material that they've ever done. When they got a taste of the breakout success that came after the blue album, that's when they started playing to the chicks. Can't blame 'em though. I guess I would be too if I were in their shoes.

Another band that you might like is called Shootyz Groove. On their earlier albums the were more of a metal version of 311. Pick up "Jamming in Vicious Environments". Tell me what you think..
          Occupy JCF

Comment

cool man.

but the first 5 songs on From Chaos are pretty heavy IMO. especially Sick Tight and Full Ride. the rest are mostly cheesey chick songs, too true. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

does this mean i have to change me sig now?

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I'm borderline fanatic about em actually. Havent been this way toward a band since zeppelin, tool, and metallica. Mahoney is waaayyyy underrated. 311 day is in memphis this year (due to katrina problems in new orleans, where its normally held) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] It'll be my 5th show. All I need now is to attend one of their halloween shows and my "must see live" list will be complete.

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] we talked about 311 a few months back.

you should have changed it then. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Mahoney was really good, but he was not quite up enough in the mix for my taste.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I'm borderline fanatic about em actually. Havent been this way toward a band since zeppelin, tool, and metallica. Mahoney is waaayyyy underrated. 311 day is in memphis this year (due to katrina problems in new orleans, where its normally held) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] It'll be my 5th show. All I need now is to attend one of their halloween shows and my "must see live" list will be complete.

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can keep your sig, but this thread will be tacked up to the top to point out a flaw in your thought process.
                  [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

311 does rock. i have seen them many times. I've never made it to a 311 day show, but i do have the DVD.

Comment

Yeah, last time I saw em', it was actually too much bass and not enough guitar. Had to really pay attention to pick it out. But we sat in front of pnut so its to be expected.

For 311 day, we're gonna shot for the left side (tim's side) on the riser's. Can't wait, over 4 hours of killer music [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

That's not necessarily a bad thing. P-NUT is a bad ass bass player. Probably only one of a handful of bass players I like.** And Chad Sexton is one of my favorite drummers.

**comment added just to razz peabuddy, inside joke.
                        Occupy JCF

Comment

311 is awesome live. i like their stuff pre-from chaos way better tho

Comment

Just got back from 311 day in memphis and only thing I can say is:

KICK ASS

5 hour show [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Definately my favorite show out of the 5 i've seen. Man, what a great band, simply awesome. Here's the set list, in no order:

Hive
                            freeze time
                            beautiful disaster
                            welcome
                            freak out
                            unity
                            hydroponic
                            my stoney baby
                            nix hex
                            plain
                            feel so good
                            do you right
                            homebrew
                            luck
                            nutsymptom
                            8:16 am
                            omaha stylee
                            applied science
                            taiyed
                            grassroots
                            offbeat bare ass
                            down
                            all mixed up
                            dont stay home
                            transistor
                            prisoner
                            inner light spectrum
                            use of time
                            no control
                            light years
                            starshines
                            strangers
                            rub a dub
                            come original
                            large in the margin
                            flowing
                            sever
                            eons
                            mindspin
                            sick tight
                            ywb
                            full ridee
                            from chaos
                            amber
                            ill be here a while
                            ceatures (for awhile)
                            crack the code
                            dont dwell
                            Sometimes Jack Rules the Realm
                            Getting through to her
                            speak easy
                            tribute
                            this too shall pass (double bass solo)
                            down south
                            whos got the herb
                            gap
                            Champagne
                            Love Song
                            T & P Combo
                            Frolic Room
                            Running
                            Beyond The Grey Sky
                            Other Side of Things
                            Fuck the Bullshit

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Funny little story: Tim mahoney appeared to have guitar/effects problems from the get go (not really noticeable to the crowd, but being the guitar fan I am and how much I watched him, he appeared to be quite displeased about something). For the first hour, i swear he was reaching down to his effects board about every 3 mins. Even lost guitar sound for about 10 secs. Needless to say his tech seemed to be quite stressed as well, coming in during/before/after songs, messing with his effects board. Also, he was using a red prs, not his baby blue one, the entire show and it gave him problems as well. He seemed to be a little pissed about it. Anyway, at the end of the show, when chad and SA were throwing out drumheads like frisbee's to the crowd, tim walks over to his effects board and unplugs the 2 that appeared to give him problems and tossed them into the crowd. Guess he had no intentions ever using them again [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

That's funny...I remember back when I got into them ('97 or so) he had all his pedals in drawers in a rack, with some rack units all hooked up to a switching system. I still have that magazine that had photos of his and Nick's setups back then.

Comment

Working...
                              X