Whitesnake - Live In The Still Of The Night DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whitesnake - Live In The Still Of The Night DV

I have it, and I was at the show it was filmed at, front row. In fact, the camera even goes on me a couple of times, which is fun to shout out when watching with friends' 'THAT'S ME!' It was an amazing show, and the sound was perfect, and what a fantastic dvd. I'm seeing them when they come back in May, if they're touring by you, don't miss it, it's a great show/band!

Comment

I saw them on that tour - great show (though Coverdale was sucking wind most of the night - starting to show his age).
      No offense Neilli, but I always thought Doug was an awesome guitarist, with a great tone, awesome vibrato, and cool melodic chops.
      He bridges a Lynch (squeals, legato, note choices) meets Sykes (vibrato, aggressive tone) style to me. He was doing that at the same time as Lynch, Jake, Vivan. It was back before Yngwie, so the prior technical standards had been set by Eddie and Randy...
      I dunno why Doug was never bigger.

Comment

I think doug really didnt come into his own until the 1990's,when shred was dead. I ahve been a big fan since 1993 when i heard the "blood" Bad Moon Rising cd.I had heard of lion, but even then thier stuff was hard to find.

Doug never stopped doing what he loved to do, and that shows and is paying off for him now that he is in demand.

Being a fan for years,but not being able to see him play live sucked.When he joined Dio, i thought it was an odd pairing since doug is more suited to play with a band like whitesnake(although that Dio cd is the best he put out since 1985).Seeing him twice with Dio, then twice with Whitesnake, it was cool to hear people in the audience asking who he was cuz he's bad ass.

Check out the BMR and Burning Rain stuff, he kicks ass on them.

Comment

I have all his stuff - my fave of his is off of Fatal Atrraction. Great feel, melody, and aggression. Killer vibrato as well.
          I was at first disappointed with his solo stuff, as I was hoping for all shred. But as I get older, I can really appreciate some of his bluesier stuff...

Comment

The man is a god, i've said it for over a decade and i'm glad people are finally listening...

Comment

Sykes is Sykes, I have nothing wrong with him but Dug just doesn't cut it for me in Whitesnake... maybe if the lineup was Dug and Sykes, THEN if would be a great show!

Comment

saw the tour at the Norva in VA. it was killer! doug has been one of my favorites since i saw him with dio. i couldn't beleive i was hearing a guy doing viv's solo in Don't talk to Strangers BETTER than vivian did on the record or any live video i've ever seen!!!
                and his tone was GODDLY

i heard he was using sh-11's and alnico pro II's with dio untill he joined whitesnake and reb beach hooked him up with john suhr's new SSH+ pickup. i want to get the new Whitesnake DVD so i can compare tones to the Evil and Divine DVD.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

and of course his mark cameron modded marshalls as main rythm. furman PQ3 (or whatever its called) that he'd switch on for solo's or lead breaks, and his FX and wah.

www.dougaldrich.com
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I've been waiting for what seems forever for any kind of recording by this line up. Didn't even know there was a DVD out! Will have to track that one down. Thanks for the headsup and reviews, all. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Absolutely kick-ass video and performance. I'm a big fan of Doug Aldrich's playing too...and Reb Beach isn't a slouch himself. Coverdale's got quite a tandem in them.

This is subjective, but that band sounds like they really enjoy what they are playing, and playing together. And what's Tommy Aldridge on? To be his age, he's pounding the hell out of those skins!

Comment

I watched the DVD and though Doug's tone was very compressed and way too distorted.
                        His sound back in Lion and Bad Moon Rising was better.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Doug has badass tone

[/ QUOTE ]

THAT tone would be courtesy of Mark Cameron (and maybe John Suhr).
                          mike.

Comment

whoops. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] "note to self....read the entire post before shooting mouth off". [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                            m.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up..it will be showingup in the mail next week [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

At the show I saw them, Doug and Reb were using the Suhr heads.. I thought Doug's tone on the Dio tour was a bit better...
                                I WILL be getting a Cameron head this year

Comment

Working...
                                X