X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whitesnake - Live In The Still Of The Night DV

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Rumor also has it that EMI is going to take apart the Live In the Heart of the City album and make two separate releases of the entire 1978 and 1980 London shows from which LITHOTC was compiled--this isn't confirmed, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THAT would be cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it definitely would be. Still just a rumor, though. The WS remasters have been delayed for so long that who knows what will happen. I think part of the problem has been that Coverdale himself has been quite explicit about his lack of interest in his past work--he didn't participate at all in the remaster/re-release of his first two pre-WS solo albums a few years ago. He is definitely overseeing this bunch of remasters, though.

By the way, another tidbit posted on the Deep Purple Appreciation Society web site (www.deep-purple.net) is that Coverdale is looking to release a two-cd album of live cuts from his recent WS tours (but different than the DVD), which would include a few new studio tracks with the current band. For a guy who was supposed to be retired, Coverdale seems pretty busy, eh?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I watched the DVD and though Doug's tone was very compressed and way too distorted.
      His sound back in Lion and Bad Moon Rising was better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, Doug's best tone was in Lion. Powerlove has a smokin guitar tone!

Comment

Re: Whitesnake - Live In The Still Of The Night DVD

[ QUOTE ]
        Doug Aldrich on guitar (John who?)...

[/ QUOTE ]

John Sykes, that's who! Doug is an amazing player and I can't think of many other players that could handle John's guitar work and make it sound that good. I think it's a little bit of a strecth to say "John?". Sykes is the man. He wrote those songs, created those solos, and plays them better than anyone else can. Not knocking Doug btw. IMO the Whitesnake solos that Sykes played are damn near perfect, no one else can improve on them.

Doug is a bad ass player and kicks alot of ass regardless.

Comment

John is THE MAN, no one can't play his songs better than him.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

So who has a copy of Whitesnake's '97 "Restless Heart"..?

I do...paid 40 bucks for it...it's not that great...just adrian being really laid back because it was the "shred was dead" era! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              So who has a copy of Whitesnake's '97 "Restless Heart"..?

I do...paid 40 bucks for it...it's not that great...just adrian being really laid back because it was the "shred was dead" era! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard it and wasn't that impressed, either. Coverdale's solo album "Into the Light" came out a few years after that and is MUCH better--a really good album, though somewhat mellower than you'd expect if it were a Whitesnake album. Into the Light actually reminds a tad of the early Whitesnake, but with lusher instrumentation.

Comment

I've been a Doug Aldrich fan since the 80's too. My favorites are Slave To The Thrill, Dangerous Attraction and the first Bad Moon Rising CD. I saw him with Dio and I though he did a great job, but his solo spot was a little too blues based for Dio IMHO. I think the main reason he missed out back in the day was that Lion had a problem with their management company involving their record deal, and weren't allowed to tour for several years. Doug also just missed out on several of the big gigs, according to what I've read.
                Another player that I think would be great with Whitesnake would be John Norum. He did Thin Lizzy's Opium Trail on one of his solo cd's with Glenn Hughes on vocals. It's amazing how much they sounded like Sykes and Lynott.

Comment

Gotcha Pro fusion

hey WS fans..check out "Company of Snakes" with Jorne Lande and original WS axeslinger..sounds like "classic" WS/Trapeze!!

John Norum is great..I have all his solo stuff..awesome player...he would fit WS like a glove..IMO!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I picked up the DVD on Friday and after I got home from work I watched it over and over fr hours and just spaced out. Some people who are into heavier shit my talk badly about Whitesnake but I really prefer listening to them over most really heavy bands. They are melodic and good plus they have that power to move air ... even in my living room I could feel it.

As for the actuall performance, they ruled. Doug was great as usually except when he approached Vai's stuff like on Judgment Day. DOug's playing seemed "safe" to me on there, like he was affraid to let loose on those Vai parts and mes up.

Oh, and why didnt Reb get more solos? Fuck that!
                    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

why doesn't Reb play on those Vai parts?

I had heard he isn't soloing much with Whitesnake. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Reb's role in Whitesnake is similar to Adrian when Vai was in.
                        Reb only gets to play solos like Here I go again and couple other solos where he does his typical tapping licks.
                        And WTF , no solo time for him?

Man, he was one of my favrite players when Winger came out.
                        He can do WAY more than what you see in this DVD.

Comment

Reb..That bastid could nail that shit too...that fucker can TAP!!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

he's still one of my favourite players. Have you checked out his solo album, Masquerade, or the new one, The Mob, with Doug Pinnick from Kings X on vocals?
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

Hey G..Yeah I bought Masquerade..it's VERY good. I also have the Doug Aldrich solo and his Burning Rain stuff!!

I haven't bought Reb's new one yet...or Jake E Lee's..

any input on Lee's new one...anyone...Bueller? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Z

Comment

I was really disappointed that Reb is obviously the 'support' guitarist, but I guess a gig is a gig. Has anyone heard The Mob yet?
                                Popular is not the same as good
                                Rare is not the same as valuable
                                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Working...
                                X