Speaking of Vai doing Yngwie....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QuantumRider View Post
    I'm sure that I'm not the only one who was more surprised to see how fat Yngwie had gotten (the other video featuring Yngwie that I own was filmed in 1985, during the "Marching Out" tour).
    I'm never surprised to see how fat Yngwie's gotten.

E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

I just love a 2 year old thread. All the smileys and quotes don't work right

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
        I've heard Yngwie play every style and pull off most of Vai's techniques with a stock Fender VINTAGE TREM!!!!
        I've seen Yngwie and Vai a ton - I've never seen Yngwie do anything but the neo-classical stuff and what he thinks is blues. I've never seen Yngwie play anything anywhere near as interesting as Vai's stuff.

Yngwie is a spectacular guitarist but I get tired of listening to him quickly these days. He hasn't evolved as a composer or player in over 20 years - he's like Carlos Santana except he doesn't suck. Whereas Vai is constantly experimenting and pushing the boundaries as a player, composer, and all-around musician.
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
          I've seen Yngwie and Vai a ton - I've never seen Yngwie do anything but the neo-classical stuff and what he thinks is blues. I've never seen Yngwie play anything anywhere near as interesting as Vai's stuff.

Yngwie is a spectacular guitarist but I get tired of listening to him quickly these days. He hasn't evolved as a composer or player in over 20 years - he's like Carlos Santana except he doesn't suck. Whereas Vai is constantly experimenting and pushing the boundaries as a player, composer, and all-around musician.

can't argue with the above statement. Vai is incredible. He is just not a strong song writer and much of his material is to weird for me.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
            can't argue with the above statement. Vai is incredible. He is just not a strong song writer and much of his material is to weird for me.
            We'll have to agree to disagree on that - I am a big fan of Steve's writing - at least as much as his playing.
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Yngwie playes Yngwie better than Vai can.
              Vai plays Vai better than Yngwie can

Totally different players really, Yngwie is in his domain with classical and neo-classical and really never leaves it. Vai branches out more, he can do the neo-classical, fusion & and space alien shit
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Funny to see Vai struggle to play something when he actually has to....STAY IN TUNE.
                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                  Yngwie playes Yngwie better than Vai can.
                  Vai plays Vai better than Yngwie can

Totally different players really, Yngwie is in his domain with classical and neo-classical and really never leaves it. Vai branches out more, he can do the neo-classical, fusion & and space alien shit
                  I've never heard Vai doing neoclassical. I mean he tried, but it always sounded so... fake? I guess it is just not in his veins and he can not fake it. Exact the opposite with Yngwie. I suppose you could say Yngwei does not sound exactly blues when he plays it, while he himself says he is not even trying. So here we go

Comment

I used to have that whole alcatrazz show on vhs... prolly still do somewhere around here
                    USA Doublerhoads Custom Shop
                    USA King V Custom Shop X Series

Comment

Originally posted by akoch View Post
                      I've never heard Vai doing neoclassical. I mean he tried, but it always sounded so... fake? I guess it is just not in his veins and he can not fake it. Exact the opposite with Yngwie. I suppose you could say Yngwei does not sound exactly blues when he plays it, while he himself says he is not even trying. So here we go

maybe not technically neo classical
                      7:26 - that's really Steve playing , not Ralph

Anyone who doesn't know this is from the movie "crossroads" (no not Brittany's) ,I've probalbly watched it 25 times.

Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
                        maybe not technically neo classical
                        7:26 - that's really Steve playing , not Ralph

Anyone who doesn't know this is from the movie "crossroads" (no not Brittany's) ,I've probalbly watched it 25 times.

The song's called Eugene's Trickbag (which of course uses Paganini's 5th caprice, the most overplayed and raped baroque lick in the history of guitar)
                        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm View Post
                          The song's called Eugene's Trickbag (which of course uses Paganini's 5th caprice, the most overplayed and raped baroque lick in the history of guitar)
                          Hey didn't that Paginini guy play a violin ?

I think we'd all agree - guitars kick much more ass !!!!!!!!!!!

ps - GodOfRhythm ,I put on the 24 caprices on quiet nights with the wife !!!!!!!!

I also like Vivaldi ,Wagner ,Brahms ,Mozzart ,Bach ,Handel ...............

Eddie Blatt plays Fur Elise on classical guitar live at the Byron Bay Community Centre.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I know this is a little off topic ,however it's also an old thread !!!!imho great stuff
                          Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again..there is no single one best player.

There are many great ones and they all have good and bad days.

There are so many styles and variations you would have to start arguing one style is better than another.

Now that being said I have seen the G3 tour live with Yngwie and I have the G3 tour of their Denver gig and personally I think Yngwie is a better note for note alternate picking kind of player. I think he sweeps better and has better tone. He is a better fundamental player.

Vai is more of a trickster and gets a lot of different sounds out of his instrument.

Good for both of them I say.

If I had the choice to hang out with one or another it would be Vai hands down.
                            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I am probably the only one who, thinks that Vai really sucked at covering Yngwie's stuff. Great guitarist though

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
                                Well, i have to severly disagree, Yngwie never really plays the exact same thing twice exactly (which is fine i like that, and theres nothing wrong with it).
                                Via is very organized, and probably writes music on paper when he doesn't have a guitar around ( if that ever happens ) very much like Zappa, you don't get into Zappas band and not be very organized and well rehearsed.
                                And live Vai Generally plays his songs note for note, Yngwie does not, i've never heard him in 20 some years and live, play the exact same thing as on record, not once.
                                I doubt he even rehearses much.
                                +1

Comment

Working...
                                X