Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations

Ok, I've been playing for a while and listen to a lot of the usual hard rock/metal guitarists (i.e. VH, Lynch, Yngwie, Vai, etc.), classic guys (Beck, Page, Lifeson,etc.) and a bunch of the Shrapnel guys. There are a few guitarists that I have always read about but have not really heard their stuff except for maybe a song or two. Could you guys give me one album from each of these guys to introduce me to them?
    Uli Roth -
    G. Moore -
    A. Holdsworth -
    M. Schenker -
    S. Morse -
    E. Johnson -

Thanks in advance! There may be more when I think of them.
    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Re: Recommendations

E. Johnson - Ah Via Musicom, Tones
    Occupy JCF

Comment

Well, Gary Moore has two phases, his blues stuff, and his metal stuff. I have some Gary Moore greatest hits CD that has a bunch of his metal stuff. However, for his blues, the best choice is Still Got the Blues.

Metal Fatigue, I would suppose, is a good way to get introduced to Holdsworth.

Tones and Ah Via Musicom are Eric Johnson's greatest works.

Mike
      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Uli Roth..transcending sky guitar is a good introduction..it's a 2cd live set that covers alot of ground.

Michael Schenker..the first two solo albums are a MUST..and they are avaiubale as a 2 on 1!!!

Allan Holdsworth..metal fatigue

Gary Moore ...cooridoors of power and Victims of the future!!!

Steve Morse..ahh he has quite a few out..get the one with "tumaninotes" ..too many notes ..on it.

Eric Johnson..Ah Via musicom and then tones..

Also check out

Greg Howe/Tony MacAlpine/Ritchie Kotzen/Blues Saraceno/Joey Tafolla/Jason Becker/Marty Freidman/Michael Angelo/Vinnie Moore/Micheal Lee Firkins/Reb Beach/John Aldrich/..they all put out alot of instrumental stuff.. so many great players!
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

actually for Michael Schenker(my favorite player) I'd recommend you start with the UFO cd's he was on, most notably

Obsession
          Lights Out
          No Heavy Petting

that is as pure Schenker as you'll ever get. he fucking rips it up on all of those.
          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

G. Moore - Corridors of Power & Victims of the Future
            S. Morse - Southern Steel. Or any new Deep Purple album
            M. Schenker - I get my fix with UFO Greatest Hits
            Hail yesterday

Comment

For Gary Moore and his rock stuff, "Out in the Fields" is a pretty good compilation. I also liked "Corridors of Power".

Steve Morse has way too many good discs out there. I like "Southern Steel" because "Simple Simon" is such a great tune. His stuff with Purple is good, too, especially if you can round up some of the live stuff. And as Bill suggested, look for "High Tension Wires" to get an earful of some insane alternate picking in "Tumeni Notes".

For EJ, definitely "Tones" and "Ah Via Musicom". They are his best albums, in my opinion, though I do like parts of his latest, "Bloom", and I did enjoy "Alien Love Child". I would also HIGHLY recommend the recently-released "Live in Austin" DVD that takes Eric's legendary first performance on Austin City Limits - that's a mind-blowing intro to Eric.

By the way, Eric recorded a track on an older Steve Morse record. The track is "Distant Star" and it's on the Steve Morse Band's disc, "Stand Up" from 1985.
              Last edited by fuel0707; 04-12-2006, 01:17 PM.
              Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Steve Morse Dregs of the Earth -Dixie Dregs, the Dregs stuff is way better than his solo stuff IMO
                Uli TSG, or any Electric Sun (if you can overlook bad vocals) or Virgin Killers (Scorpions)
                Schenker 1st solo album
                Holdsworth Velvet Darkness
                IMO Gary Moores Blues stuff is way better than his hard rock stuff. With most guys like that I'd normally prefer the heavier stuff but his blues just kick some major ass.
                http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

IMO Gary Moores Blues stuff is way better than his hard rock stuff. With most guys like that I'd normally prefer the heavier stuff but his blues just kick some major ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Most of the Rock Stuff that involves Gary Singing could be featured in a Rocky movie, if you ask me. However, some of the blues stuff gets repetitive...same tune, different lyrics. Still Got The Blues is the best and the tones are amazing.

Mike

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys! From your suggestions, stuff I've read on the jcf and dinosaur rock guitar, and my old GFTPM issues, I think I'll try these:
                    Uli Roth - TSG
                    G. Moore - He seems to have two phases, so I'll try Victims of Change and Still Got the Blues to cover both
                    A. Holdsworth - Metal Fatigue
                    M. Schenker - Still not sure which one, maybe a best of?
                    S. Morse - High Tension Wires
                    E. Johnson - Ah Via Musicom

So pretty much what Bill said [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    I've got the Shrapnel stuff covered Bill, thanks for the suggestions though. But I did just think of something else. I have Gilbert's Racer X and Mr. Big stuff but none of his solo albums, how are they?
                    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

As far as Holdsworth goes, Metal Fatigue is a good place to start, but might I suggest UK's self-titled debut album. He plays great on it, and it is more accessible prog rock, versus his more abstract solo jazz work (even Metal Fatigue is that, to a degree).

Schenker--I'd go with UFO's "Strangers in the Night," personally. He burns it up on that one.

E. Johnson--definitely go with Ah Via Musicom. Every guitarist should own a copy of that.

Uli Roth--TSG, to be sure.

S. Morse--High Tension Wires. Also, don't forget some of the Dregs albums, such as Freefall or Industry Standard.

G. Moore--Still Got the Blues is the only one I've owned recently, and that's got some great 'rocky blues' playing on it.

Comment

You want to play Rhythm & lead play Rock Bottom (live) from schenker/UFO that'll wake you up...........His live play is best.........

Comment

Gary Moore's "Blues for Greenie" has one of the best true blues tones he ever put to tape. Still got the Blues isn't quite what I would call a great blues tone...although it is a great otne in general. Most die hard blues fans hated that album.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Gary Moore's "Blues for Greenie" has one of the best true blues tones he ever put to tape. Still got the Blues isn't quite what I would call a great blues tone...although it is a great otne in general. Most die hard blues fans hated that album.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a die hard blues fan and when that album came out it was like a breath of fresh air to me. Blues with ATTITUDE. No screetchy, shitty tones...balls to the wall Bluesbreaker pushed with a Gov'nur tones.

It also has some very nice clean tones, like Midnight Blues.

I wouldn't call that an album that is going to appeal to a traditional blues fan. It is way too distorted, way to shredderific and way too pop like for the traditional blues fan.

However, it is one ripping record.

Mike

Comment

Gary Moore also had a Fusion period with Colliseum that was in the mid 70's .

Comment

Working...
                              X