Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommendations

That was Colliseum 2 the drummer also had a band called Tempest that was the first recording of Holdsworth.

Comment

Re: Recommendations

[ QUOTE ]
      But I did just think of something else. I have Gilbert's Racer X and Mr. Big stuff but none of his solo albums, how are they?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Paul's solo stuff. It's happy pop with shredilicious guitar all over it. Plus he'll throw in the occasional classical piece, or a 10 minute wankfest to satisfy the guitar hero in him [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Ok, there's a Best Buy near my work so I went there looking for some of this stuff. Needless to say, they didn't have sh*t! NOTHING from Uli, 1 or 2 disks by Holdsworth and Morse that I hadn't heard of, and none of the ones I was looking for from Moore or Schenker. I did pick up Ah Via Musicom and Very Best of Deep Purple. I'm on my second listen of ah via and it's good stuff. The songs with singing are ok, a little on the light/pop side, but his playing is great! DP is one of those bands that I am certainly aware of, I have machine head on tape and know the radio tunes (hush, woman from tokyo, etc.) but never really dug deep into their stuff. This best of is really good, it starts with hush and goes up to knockin' at your back door. Of the songs I hadn't heard before, Burn is sticking in my head like crazy. I also like Child in Time after the slow part with the screams, Blackmore just tears it up!

I'll keep searching for the other guys but I'm still stuck on Schenker, he's got soooo much stuff out (UFO and solo). What about this best of?http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=661494
        Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Originally posted by jwoods986
          M. Schenker - Still not sure which one, maybe a best of?
          As a few others have said, look for UFO's "Strangers in the Night". It's been re-released with a few bonus tracks and can usually be found cheap. There's a Michael Schenker Group compilation called, not surprisingly, "The Essential MSG" that would also be good to pick up and should also be pretty cheap.
          Last edited by fuel0707; 04-12-2006, 05:02 PM.
          Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

M. Schenker- Any old UFO stuff, in particular the live "Strangers in the Night" also the first two MSG albums.
            Uli Jon Roth- Any of the old Scorpions albums including the live "Tokyo Tapes" and his first two solo albums, "Earthquake" and "Fire Wind"
            G. Moore- "G-Force", "Back on the Streets", "Corridors of power", "Victims of the Future" and the live "We want Moore"

Comment

Originally posted by jwoods986
              But I did just think of something else. I have Gilbert's Racer X and Mr. Big stuff but none of his solo albums, how are they?
              Some of PG's solo stuff is a bit "quirky", and he leans heavily on Beatles-sounding stuff, which is cool, I guess, if you like that kind of thing (God, how I don't... )
              However, that being said, rush out and get a copy of "Burning Organ" !

Comment

You MUST check out Uli Jon Roth's Metamorphosis of Vivaldi's Four Seasons. It's just

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul
                  You MUST check out Uli Jon Roth's Metamorphosis of Vivaldi's Four Seasons. It's just
                  Here is an old Uli Appreciation thread I did a while back...good stuff here..

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35834
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Holy thread revival, Batman!

Ok, here's what I've got so far with comments:
                    E. Johnson - Ah Via and Tones. I like both - good songs, his singing is decent, and I love his playing.
                    S. Morse - High Tension Wires. Boring. Sorry, other than Tumeni Notes it just doesn't grab me. Great melodies but too many slow songs.
                    G. Moore - Wild Frontier and Still Got The Blues. To summarize, I picked up WF not too long after I started this thread and haven't been able to listen to it all the way through yet. I got SGTB yesterday and have already listened to it twice all the way through......so I guess I'm one of the ones that prefers his blues stuff.
                    M. Schenker - Strangers In The Night. I got this about a month ago and LOVE IT! Great songs, vocals, and his playing is outstanding! I also got a copy of an MSG live album (Rock Will Never Die) and the second MSG album from my neighbor. They are good too but now I understand why so many rave about Strangers, it's a classic! He's definitely added to my list of favorites. Can you tell I'm digging him? lol.

I still haven't picked up anything from Uli or Holdsworth yet, but I'm still looking. Thanks for the suggestions guys, it's been good to finally hear these guitarists that I've always heard/read about but never actually heard their music.
                    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Working...
                    X