Dream Theater in Minneapolis last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dream Theater in Minneapolis last night

I saw Dream Theater at the State Theater in Minneapolis last night.

I need to start this off with a bit of a rant. I listen to the local hard rock radio station every day, and I didn't hear about the show until Wednesday, and the show was Friday. I don't know if the band's marketing manager is to blame, or our local station for not mentioning it more on the air. I would have been pissed if I had missed the show. I check their web site every now and then to get updates on when new albums and videos are coming out, but since their last album was released this past summer and they toured with Megadeth on Gigantour to support that album, I figured they would be done touring for a while. I guess I was wrong.

So, booking a seat that late, you'd think it would have sucked, but it ended up being main floor, 6th row, center stage. Everyone in my row, it turns out, had bought their seats within the last 24 hours, so I am guessign that they released a block of seats at the last minute and we were the lucky benefactors.

Anyway, it was a great show. They have set such incredibly high standards that after seeing them four times, you just EXPECT them to be phenomenal. I heard JP play a few wrong notes, which I always find refreshing as I put a lot (too much) pressure on myself to play everything perfectly, so it's nice to hear a guitar god drop a few clams here and there. John Myung, one of my bass idols, seemed to be pretty "on", although you can rarely hear him in the mix on any given day, plus the ear plugs I had in kept me from hearing the bass all that well. <font color="yellow">Side note: Yes, ear plugs. OK, I'm old. But, I didn't have a raging headache when I left the show, either.</font> Jordan and Mikey were great as well. James always seems to struggle a bit live, but he did alright.

I wasn't thrilled with their choice of songs, but I had a pretty good idea of what they would play based on their setlist from the past few evenings, so I got what I expected. It was nice hearing them play some more obscure stuff, but I wouldn't have minded hearing a few more of my faves. But hey, they played Take the Time, Fatal Tragedy, About to Crash, Pull Me Under, and Metropolis, so I was alright with that.

Here's the setlist:

Root of All Evil
    Another Won
    A Fortune In Lies
    Take The Time
    The Mirror
    Lie
    Peruvian Skies (w/ Pink Floyd & Metallica interludes)
    Fatal Tragedy
    About To Crash (Reprise)
    Losing Time/Grand Finale

Intermission

As I Am
    I Walk Beside You
    Sacraficed Sons
    Octavarium

Encore

Pull Me Under/Metropolis Pt. 1

I have to say that it looked like a nerd bomb exploded in the theater; lots of geeky looking guys without dates saying things like "This is so awesome! Huh-huh! Huh-huh!" Oh well, that's cool. I couldn;t find anyone to go with on such short notice, and my wife stayed home with the kids, so I suppose I looked like a geek as well. Maybe the truth hurts. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Re: Dream Theater in Minneapolis last night

+ 1 on ear plugs.
    It's like, I don't get enough high volme at home.
    I bring ear plugs to every show I go to now-a-days.
    I'm 43 and it sucks to have that piercing ringing in my ears the next day.
    My dad lost his hearing at work long ago.
    I feel sorry for him when more than 2 people talk.
    He can't understand them.
    But... It sounded like a killer show. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    Thanks for the review.

Comment

DT is for geeks, that's for sure and i love going to DT concerts.

Thanks for the story E.! Your geek comment reminds me of the times i've been to their concerts, i stand in the crowd and look at the guys coming to the show. Most of them are just like me: the play an instrument (i can tell) and they just stand there! Frozen! Staring at the stage and their eyes about to pop out. In total infatuation we just stand there, paralyzed by perfection on stage.
      Then they start Pull Me Under and we all jump around [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hey Finn! I missed you [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Tried to write you a couple of times in the threads, but no luck. I hope you're doing fine.
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Henrik ,My Danish buddy!!
        How you doing?
        I get a knock on my door today.. I open it and there is this
        pretty girl standing there.. I say "Yes, can I help you?
        She says: " I think you lost something.. and I found it.
        I'm thinking..I hope it's a $100.00
        I follow her, turn the corner of my house, and there is my daughter standing there.
        She is suppose to be in Seattle.(over 800 miles away)
        Her and her friends drove all the way down to Hayward, from
        Seattle, WA.
        I just about shit myself.
        It's spring brake and she got me and my wife big time.
        Oh, Sara (our daughter) was in Denmark last summer with my mom.
        I still want to vist...Someday.. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Finn, i'm fine thank you! Sweet story. Sounds like a very nice kid you have raised. Good that you didn't shit yourself right there [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

You know, had you been here in DK right now, we could have seen a concert together in Aarhus. Thin Lizzy (sold out) is playing there in a couple of weeks. So is King Diamond + Bonnie Raitt (twice in two days!) + Jeff Healey + Saga + Fear Factory. I'd like to go to them all but that ain't gonna happen! (-$ ) [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
          Henrik

Comment

I hope the shows are indoors.
            My brother say;s it's freezing.
            Man, I would love to see KD again.
            In my set list I play at home, I play:
            Halloween
            The Jonah
            Abigail
            & Black Horsemen from KD.
            Henrik, whats your last name.
            My wife is researching our genealogy.
            She's a Christensen, me Thorup.
            We might be related [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Dream Theater is awesome! I've aseen them a couple times live, and yes I use ear plugs too. In fact at NAMM this past year their was a company there that makes custom ear plugs with removable filters for musicians. I got a pair made and I've used them when my band plays live. They basically bring the whole volume down instead of just cutting certain frequencies like foam plugs do. I would highly recommend these. Anyway, its cool to see they did As I Am in addition to a couple others on your list. They always do Pull Me Under every time. My favorite is Voices which they rarely do and I'd also like to see them do Its Raining.

Rudy
              Rudy
              www.metalinc.net

Comment

I just got Train of Thought off iTunes for $9.90, it's kickass. I like it better than most of their other stuff, heavy and tuneful with less random noodling.
                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  My wife is researching our genealogy.
                  She's a Christensen, me Thorup.
                  We might be related [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy ...! RUN! RUN! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

To stay on topic (ahem) my name is Henrik Hjortnaes. The "ae" in the last name should be contracted to one character, but i think your monitor would explode if i wrote it correctly (Hjortnæs).

Some of my ancestors DID emigrate to USA, but i don't know more than that. Could be investigated though. Maybe a job for your wife.

Nice setlist, Finn!
                  Henrik

Comment

I get a call from two of my buds the other night..both "Hey bill, ya goin'?"

"Ummm going where"...

"Dream Theater, tonight!!!"...

Tonight?????

Yeah...yeah yeah tonight!!!

"Ummmm..no".

The end
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Going to see them April 1 at radio city music hall. Great complete band.

Comment

Working...
                      X