X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VH article with Mike Anthony

Rich that was beautiful!

Spot on man!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

You know what..I beat my brothers ass a couple years ago..and guess what, he's doing ANOTHER year in Jail!

I guess I didn't beat him good enough! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

"Good Enough"! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

If you had every virtually every rock n roll guitarist scrutinizing every note you play and, eventually wanting to cop your newly invented ideas, approaches and style so they could do what you do just to play in a cover band OR possibly take it to another level and do well for themselves...I think that could potentially screw with a persons well being, confidence at times..etc..

Beuatiful girls has a great rhythm part btw.. Eds rhythm playing is top notch and really had guys like Warren Dimartini putting their focus of their chops in that direction.

Comment

Yes even so..he's a baby..absolutelty no cooth or dignity whatsoever..

instead of staying in the game and giving great players that he influenced props..he dogs them ..

he's a bad sport....he's the dude that flips the Monopoly board over in a Tizzy because he didn't get Park Place.

He gave up on him...Val gave up on him...his band gave up on him...he's waiting to die..and when he does I won't miss him..because he's been dead for a while..I already had MY closure!

If he ever does do anything again..it won't be good...I'm not even interested in hearing it! [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

His day is over..The king is dead...Next King please (Loomis)!

Jimi and Ed are both dead...just like Sam Kinison and Andrew Dice Clay! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

OK I said my piece..that's where I stand on Ed...this thread is nothing but how good he WAS and how fucked up he IS..so yeah, this is beating a dead horse to a mushy pulp!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

OK, but I get one more post in, Bill!

The real problem here, is that you are looking at Ed with eyes that see his innovations...but then say, "what have you done for me lately?" Well, Ed doesn't have anything new to offer, he has given us all of his innovations. Sure, there are guys that can nail his chops, nail his rhythms, nail his tone. But they are nailing someone else's stuff, they didn't come up with it. It is not the level of difficulty that is paramount here, it is the talent and ability that spawned these songs that is paramount. Eddie invented this stuff, not some random dude who can cover it to a T.

It IS all in the past, but damn...the guy has made a huge contribution to rock and roll and guitar. Eddie has penned 11, that's right, 11 #1 hits on the Billboard Mainstream Rock charts. It is in the Guiness Book of World Records.

Loomis? Awesome, awesome talent. No mainstream appeal, ZERO. In 100 years, the world will still know Eddie Van Halen's name, Loomis will be a footnote, at best.

Mike
          Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I don't care if Ed is "Dead", I put on some old VH record and I'm just fuckin' fine.

And he isn't obligated to play, act nice or whatever.

And I don't care about the new players, because they don't sound anything new.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Even though Eddy is in bad shape and hasn't done much lately it must be pretty cool knowing that he will be remembered forever for his accomplishments. There are only a handfull of guitarists that will NEVER be forgotten. Eddy is certainly one of them. Alive he is a living legend. When he eventually passes away he will become something much much more and will stand directly next to Hendrix and SRV.
              Ace Frehley will be in that club one day too. He probably inspired more kids to pick up the guitar than anybody in rock history. Thats saying something.

Comment

Mike, I can appreciate that!!

E I KNOW how you feel..as well as Mike..

Whether Loomis is the next big thing in the mainstream..well that may or may not happen..I'm hoping it does..The world of shred became a heard it all ..done it all..and where can it go from here..Jeff stepped up and did something FRESH..Well he got my attention..and I spread the word to many others..he's making some waves..I hope it's a tidal wave..well have to see...Ed came out when mainstream was more "rock" oriented..the 70's and 80's ..there was a lot of guitars on the radio..then poof GONE..in the mainstream for the last 15 years

Jeff Loomis always told me one of his goals was to make the guitar solo popular in music again..I think it's working..at least he's helping to bring it back..

Now that Nevermore is supporting Disturbed..this could be the mainstream boost they need!!!

I know if I were Disturbed..I wouldn't want to follow the likes of Nevermore...no FUCKING way!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

So, Mike ..yer right..I do have that"what have you done for me lately" 'tude about Ed..I patienlty waited and waited..and I'm done with the waiting..Jeff Replaced him for me..

So, I'm VERY satisfied in the guitar heroe department again..and it feels GOOD ..just like I used to feel with Ed! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Bill

Comment

OK, for YOU Bill, I am going to download a Nevermore CD, or some songs from iTunes.

Please give me some suggestions to really appreciate Loomis. I have seen some videos on UTube, but I am not well versed.

Mike

Comment

I love the River Dragon and the solo!!!!..but the Godless Endevour is awesome..if you like that..you'll be hooked...I love all of their shit...just liked I loved all VH's shit back in the day!!

It takes a few listens...there is alot to absorb..

maybe you will feel the same way I do...then again maybe not. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

well anywhoo..I can understand and appreciate alot of people's loyalty toward ED..I was one of those people ..since 1978..like I said and always will say..I wouldn't be here talking to you if it wern't for Ed..so I owe him that much..I still want to boot his fanny...someone needs to!!

Happy Birthday Bro!!..

Bill

Comment

I just got back from my 90 Martini lunch...I am checking the Loomis stuff out now.....

Mike

Comment

Kick ass Mike..You go Boyeeeeeeee!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Your introduction to Nevermore is on your 36th Birthday..NICE!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

The River Dragon..my kid loves that one.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Ace Frehley will be in that club one day too. He probably inspired more kids to pick up the guitar than anybody in rock history. Thats saying something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fall into that category for sure. I had never seen anyone as cool as Ace back then. He inspired me to play a tennis racket before I got a real guitar.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I fall into that category for sure. I had never seen anyone as cool as Ace back then. He inspired me to play a tennis racket before I got a real guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, yeah..HELL YEAH. Ace made me want to play...Eddie made me want to play well. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Bill, I downloaded some tunes and I will chime in on them tomorrow.

Mike

Comment

The problem with Ace and Ed, unlike Hendrix, SRV, and Rhoads, is that they didn't die at the heights of their powers. Father time made them human, and they don't possess nearly the mystique of the other three. A place in rock and roll history? Absolutely. The problem is they're history already. When they finally kick, it'll be "Didn't he used to be...?" time.

Comment

Originally posted by WoflieW
                                The problem with Ace and Ed, unlike Hendrix, SRV, and Rhoads, is that they didn't die at the heights of their powers. Father time made them human, and they don't possess nearly the mystique of the other three. A place in rock and roll history? Absolutely. The problem is they're history already. When they finally kick, it'll be "Didn't he used to be...?" time.
                                Bullshit, it will never be that way for Eddie or Ace for those who picked up guitars, or air guitars, because of them. Maybe for the younger generation who didn't grow up listening to them it will be that way....but for people from my generation it will be a big deal when they pass away.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X