VH article with Mike Anthony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VH article with Mike Anthony

That's pretty sad to read. It's a shame something that supposed to be fun like Rock 'n Roll has to come to stuff like that.

J.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I tend to blame Alex. Seems that he is the "brains" of the two brothers. Ed just feeds off of the crap that Alex spews.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to MA, Alex seems to just sit around waiting for Ed to do something. Doesn't sound like the brains of the operation to me.

Comment

Great read! They are coming to Dallas in June. I may have to catch that show. *goes to check out ticket prices*

Comment

Mike seems like a great dude..I had the priviledge to play one of his basses that our VH tribute manager bought..it was a weird fretless bass ..a one off jobber..just made for him..I guess he didn't like it..SOLD for 2K....I have pics of me playing it!!

I had an oppurtunity to buy an actual stomped to shit "Jack" Bass...it was actually a bass case full of splintered wood..for 2K..I passed...that is a deal I constantly second guess! [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Alot of people give Mike slack on his bass playing..I ALWAYS thought he played for the music..and was definitely a HUGE part of Van Halen..voice and all!!

To NOT to be part of VH "re-union"...Well we can safely assume that Ed fucking lost it...never to find "it" again!!

Mike should just hook up with Sammy and another great player like Schon..or Reb..or whoever..WHATEVER they put out.. I'm convinced would blow away anything coming from two 'tards and a has-been frontman..Unless Ed's been secretly "practicing"..I doubt it!

Sorry guys...this is reality...so hold dear to your VH tattoos and fond JD induced memories..because that is all you're going to have...

Sad!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Michael Anthony has never hurt anybody, he just wanted to go out and play with his good friend Sammy. How DARE he do that when VH was doing NOTHING ANYWAY?!?!? What a pair of maroons the VH bros are!

And I agree, he played what was right for the songs, not to mention his AWESOME backing vocals which are a HUGE part of the signature VH sound. Ed and Al are punks for lowballing him or even considering using someone else. Ed would be too threatened by a Sheehan type player anyway, and those backing vox would be hard to replace.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Sheesh. It's been a few months. Guess it's time to defend EVH again.

Mike seems like a nice guy, and he's a good, tasteful bass player. His powerful high voice adds a lot to VH's backups (though it sounds bad by itself IMO). I can see why he would get along with Hagar, who also seems like a decent enough guy and is a good singer with a good range (I've never liked his songwriting or the sound of his voice, but he can sing). They're both solid workhorses, and seem like nice guys. And that's all.

Now with the niceties out of the way, let's confirm three ultimate truths:

1. EVH is a guitar genius. Whether he is drunk or sober, nice or nasty, young or old, healthy or ill, easy-going or difficult, his place in history is secure. He earned it.
              2. DLR is/was the ultimate rock star. He performed his role with humor and style, in a way unmatched by any other vocalist, before or since. And the fact that he did it without the range of, e.g., Sebastian Bach, makes his accomplishments all the more impressive.
              3. The combination of EVH+DLR = MAGIC. I am grateful for the music they gave us. I wish there would be more, and I am frustrated by the fact that there will probably be no more, but that doesn't make their work any less significant.

I wish Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar success, but there's no genius there. It's just a couple of skilled, nice guys having fun. That's cool, but it's not in the same league as EVH+DLR and never will be. I don't blame EVH for not wanting Hagar and Anthony to use the Van Halen name to hawk tequila and hot sauce.

Comment

Bingo Rich...I agree fully!!

Billy was a canidate for VH from the get go..I guess Alex didn't want any thunder stolen from his bro..

I'm NOT a fan of Sheehan..but I admit I really loved his writing and work with Talas..it was pretty ground breaking at that time..I give him that!!

would have been cool to see both he and Ed tappin' all at once in '78..that would have fucked alot more shit up right there!! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I learned over 50 VH tunes..some of those bass lines are damn right creative...and those back up vox in the studio..all Mike!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ed sings like total shit..I have a demo of him singing a song called "Black Star" before Dave joined..he sung like shit then...and he sings like shit now!

Mike should move on..playing is his life..it's what he does..it's not fair to hold him back if VH isn't doing shit!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Quicksilver..I agree with everything you pretty much stated..but the key here is "was"..

"was" and "is" ..is two different things man! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Metallica WAS a cool metal band.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Sure Ed WAS the shit...but that WAS then...there is MUCH more advanced and better players NOW...that picked up the ball Ed dropped years ago and ran with it...and just kept runnin'..leaving Ed far behind in the dust!!!

it' true! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Quicksilver..I agree with everything you pretty much stated..but the key here is "was"..

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that pretty much says it all. The sad thing to me is that the VH Brothers should now be enjoying the fruits of what they worked so hard to create. Instead, they come off as very bitter and unfulfilled. In the end, I have to agree with MA's assessment. Jeezus, guys, just get out there and play. Something. Anything. Just have some fun with it. If you don't want to tour with DLR, MA, or Hagar, then don't. But I see EVH slowly killing himself, and it's a sad spectacle.

Comment

I don't care if Ed would blow a donkeys sausage, he always will be THE MAN.
                      Yeah he isn't as good as he was, but his JOB is done and there's NOTHING that can change that. I don't care what the todays players do, the fact is, they will never be like Ed was in '78 PERIOD

There are a lot of guys in the NBA who would kick Jordan's ass big time today, but in the big picture it wouldn't mean shit.
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

There will never be a Hendrix in '68...but the fact is...both Jimi and Ed are dead..Ed just doesn't know it ..yet....but he's workin' on it!

I appreciate and love what they DID accomplish years ago...many many many many years ago..back when my grandma had perky boobs! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I appreciate Alexander G Bell invention of the telephone..

I appreciate Black Sabbath for inventing Heavy Metal...

And Fred Flintstone for all those hard years in the rock quarry...

all ancient history..

Sad.

Comment

You know i use to respect ed for what he did for the music, and he has alot of talent, but when it comes down to it there were many many other players in the 80's that blew his little punk ass away.

Yeah it was because of him that they became the way they were, so he gets props for that. But his ego makes him a asshole, his lack of inovation later on made him a has been.

I give MA props for taking a pay cut, he loved playing music, wanted to keep it real for the fans, all ed cares about is money and his ego.

As to him being the talent, like i said he really didnt do anything inovative in a long time, and even with his talent, what good is it if no one wants to play with you except your brother because you are such an asshole.

You can worship someone like that if you want, to me he is washed up has been that has no respect for anyone but his ego and the big dollar and for that reason i lost respect for him a long time ago.

Comment

I agree..

in "hindsight" and looking at him now..that's how I feel..

I'd rather listen to players like Uli Roth, Andy LaRoque , Criss Oliva, Randy and etc than Ed...and they were from his day..so there ya go..and the players that ARE still alive SMOKE Ed!!

Ed dropped the ball...he fumbled! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Nowadays..guys like Jeff Loomis makes him look like a complete Jerry's Kid..fuggum! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

The only thing that counts is the music IMHO. I don't care about the personalities of the musicians. I don't care that Eddie is an asshole, I don't care that Axl Rose and Ritchie Blackmore are the sickest human beings, I don't care that Freddie Mercury was gay, I don't care that Gary Glitter liked to fuck young boys etc. etc. when it comes to music. I never loose respect for them as musicians. NEVER. I hate some of them because of the personality but that doesn't concern me when I'm listnening to their music at all.

Eddie will go to the history as a guy who played Eruption not as an egomaniac and theethless drunk.
                              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                The only thing that counts is the music IMHO. I don't care about the personalities of the musicians. I don't care that Eddie is an asshole, I don't care that Axl Rose and Ritchie Blackmore are the sickest human beings, I don't care that Freddie Mercury was gay, I don't care that Gary Glitter liked to fuck young boys etc. etc. when it comes to music. I never loose respect for them as musicians. NEVER. I hate some of them because of the personality but that doesn't concern me when I'm listnening to their music at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree, except that the music has disappeared, hasn't it? That's MA's point. He just wants to get out there and play music and was even willing to take a pay cut to do it. Eddie took his fans' money (and quite a bit of it, judging from the high ticket prices) and came out on stage drunk and playing like shit, from every account I've read. That's where the attitude *does* matter. It's one thing for him to disrespect his bandmates--that's between them--but quite another to disrespect his paying customers, the ones who made it possible for him to live in that big mansion.

Comment

Working...
                                X