Picked up a couple of DVD's Dio, Whitesnake, MSG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up a couple of DVD's Dio, Whitesnake, MSG

Splurged on a couple of DVD's yesterday.

DIO "We Rock". This on features an early show in Holland with the original lineup. Vivian hasn't started using Charvels yet, but he is on fire. His guitar tone was great, and didn't have a whole lot of preamp gain going on... Also, I didn't see a pedal board of any sort up there. It looks like was plugged straight into his Marshall. This impressed me because you always see guys using a crutch of some sort of gain boost while doing solos (I do it too [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) The second show on this is the Spectrum show from 1985. I prefer the Holland show, but on this one you can Vivian playing his Charvels. Again Vivian rips it up. How can a guy with that much fire and ability turn into a supporting guitarist for Def Leppard? Too bad he gave up gunslinging, he was great back then!

Whitesnake "Live in the Still of the Night". This is a recent show and features an AWESOME lineup: Reb Beach, Doug Aldrich, Marco Mendoza, Tommy Aldridge, Coverdale, and some keyboard dude [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. First off, the performance is spectacular. They play the stuff to a tee. Doug Aldrich is phenominal! He nails all the tough Sykes solos perfectly, and looks cool on stage with the low slung Les Paul. Great tone too! Tommy Aldridge is probably my favorite rock drummer. He makes even simple beats sound great. Very hard hitter too. Awesome! I was surprised to see Reb Beach playing a mostly supporting role (though he does take a few short solos) since he is a great guitar player in his own right. That Suhr with the Koa body and Rosewood neck is bad ass! Coverdale has lost a few steps and sounds flat in a few spots, but this is an excellent representation of Whitesnake... highly recommended.

Then when I showed up at band practice, my bass player handed me a DVD of MSG recorded in 1981. I've never heard a whole lot of Schenker, but let me tell ya, the guy is great! He flies around the guitar and is very melodic. I was impressed too about how low gain the guitar sound was. Just goes to show ya that a great player doesn't need loads of gain and sustain to pull off "shreddy" licks. Good stuff!

Re: Picked up a couple of DVD\'s Dio, Whitesnake, MSG

[ QUOTE ]
    How can a guy with that much fire and ability turn into a supporting guitarist for Def Leppard? Too bad he gave up gunslinging, he was great back then!

[/ QUOTE ]

For a payday, dude. Which I have no problem with.

Alvin
    MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Where did you get the "We Rock" DVD? I have been looking for sometime now and can't find a copy.

Comment

Re: Picked up a couple of DVD\'s Dio, Whitesnake, M

[ QUOTE ]
        For a payday, dude. Which I have no problem with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Undoubtedly, but he has also said that he wasn't comfortable doing the shred stuff and was always interested in going toward the poppier stuff that Def Leppard does. Sounds to me like a little 'historical revisionism' on his part, but you never know.

Comment

I just picked it up at my local Best Buy. They have three copies...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Where did you get the "We Rock" DVD? I have been looking for sometime now and can't find a copy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found it at www.impulsemusic.com, at www.amazon.com, and at www.cdconnection.com. Can't remember who had the best price and where I got it from - I bought it about 3 weeks ago- , but I paid $19.95 USD for it.

Comment

Thanks Steve and Noe.

Comment

I'm watching the Whiesnake disc now. What a great show. The whole band is tight. David still sounds good.
                http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Schenker RULES.

EOD.
                  Charvel: Model1, 2 & 5, Surfcaster 12
                  Jackson: DK2, JRS-2, Kelly

Comment

so Doug doesn't play his gold sparkle Strat with Whitesnake? I love that guitar.
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

he does, but seldom have i seen him use it in photos.

he ususally sticks to his goldtop les paul, his lpc, and some other strats.

http://rebbeach.com/photo_gallery/ws_2005_gallery_9.htm

from the pics i've seen anyways!

Comment

The Whitesnake disc vocals are dubbed, but its a great disc none the less

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you say that? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I really liked both the Dio and the WS discs (haven't picked up MSG yet). Aldrich is a great player and I really liked the disc and DVD he did with Dio. If you liked Doug on the WS DVD, pick up the Dio stuff if you haven't.

Speaking of the WS DVD, has anyone figured out how to open the Easter Egg? It's supposed to be an old Deep Purple song called, "Soldier of Fortune", but I can't unlock it. Anyone been able to open it?
                            Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by DARYLV
                              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you say that? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                              Sorry for the late reply. 2 reasons. First, i was at that gig and thats not what he sounded like. Second, his vocals are far too polished. They are very crisp, dry and do not have a live feel. The give away is that to me is they sound too good to be true. Ill watch the disc again for specifics if you like

Comment

Working...
                              X