No announcement yet.

Operation LIvecrim 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just listened to it. The first 6 songs sounded, not great, but seemed to be headed in the right direction. Then it kind of declined and has some very cheesy passages to some of the songs. It's still better than Tribe and Q2K but it doesn't come close to the original Mindcrime. I'm not even sure it's better than Promised Land, though so far I like it better than that one.

It leaves the jury out on QR, IMO. Doesn't suck so bad as to bury them, but it's no triumphant return. But what do I know? Maybe it'll take off and the tour will sell, who knows?

BTW, Mike Stone's thank-you list includes B-52 amps! I thought he was playing Randalls!
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

there are song samples on the Rhino website
      I made a rock n roll sin when I tried giving in to make money, had to turn down low.

Comment

I got it yesterday. I haven't got to listen to it enough to make a remark to the songs yet as it'll be one of those "grower" albums like someone listed above. I will say that the sound production could have been stronger. The drum and guitar tones are lacking and somewhat non-existant in places. I do like some of the references that they put in from the original Mindcrime. I saw them on this last tour where they played a greatest hits set and then came back out and played the original Mindcrime in it's entireity and it was simply one of the best concerts I've ever saw hands down! With that said, I had to get it and I think that it will grow on me. Especially once I read the story line.

Comment

Well, Mindcrime is going to be hard to top...being that it is the single greatest theme record ever made, next to The Wall.

I will get this, I wish it was on iTunes to download...but it wasn't when I checked yesterday.

Mike
          Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I'll buy it. I saw a bootleg video from the last tour and wanted to cry. Tate's vocals were awful. Didn't expect much when I lucked into tickets...last show of tour. Totally f'ng incredible! Stuff from "Rage"...flawless! Someone's camcorder must have really sucked cuz' Tate was all over "Listen"..."Lady Wore Black"..."Queen of..."..."Take Hold"...It was like '80 something all over again...minus the mushrooms. The guitar work at the show was clean and clear. They are still Queensryche. Even if MC II sucks canal water, their achievements are undeniable. I didn't like alot from the last few disks at first, but it always grows on me.
            "tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly"

Comment

Don't waste your money. I heard it 2-3 weeks ago and it's a disgrace to the Mindcrime name. Songwriting is weak, no memorable riffing or songs, and Tate's vocals are not even close to the soaring power of the first album. Even Dio can't save this one.

Comment

Sad...they are a mere shadow of what they once were. Besides that, I still stand by DeGarmo's writing, and lack of since his departure.

The original MC took some time to grow on me after Rage For Order...which is still my alltime favorite QR album. I'll check 'em out on tour most-likely...but I doubt I will buy the new disc.

*EDIT*..just listened to some samples of it...
                Sadly disappointed....won't put a dime of mine in their pockets for this crap! Sadly disappointed
                Last edited by VulfgangPfuck; 04-05-2006, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdZ
                  The original MC took some time to grow on me after Rage For Order...which is still my alltime favorite QR album.
                  Rage for Order is, to me, the definitive Queensryche "sound". I painted my living room last week, and dug that CD out to listen to while I painted. Hadn't played it in a while. Truly great stuff.

Mindcrime took a long time for me to like as well. It was more of a production thing than a song thing, though, because when I got the ORIGINAL Operation Livecrime box set back in the early 90s, I played the hell out of that Livecrime CD.

- E.
                  Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdZ
                    Sad...they are a mere shadow of what they once were. Besides that, I still stand by DeGarmo's writing, and lack of since his departure.

The original MC took some time to grow on me after Rage For Order...which is still my alltime favorite QR album. I'll check 'em out on tour most-likely...but I doubt I will buy the new disc.

*EDIT*..just listened to some samples of it...
                    Sadly disappointed....won't put a dime of mine in their pockets for this crap! Sadly disappointed
                    Well, DeGarmo wrote Promised Land and Hear In the Now Frontier, both of which are rather craptacular. so he presided over the decline himself.

This album falls short of OMC I, but it's better than anything since Empire.
                    How much that means, I haven't decided yet. The first half is a lot better than the second IMO. It doesn't reaffirm my faith in QR, but it being a lot better than their stuff from Promised Land to Tribe, it doesn't allow me to write them off either. It's their first halfway decent effort since Empire, which means a step in the right direction.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL
                      Rage for Order is, to me, the definitive Queensryche "sound". I painted my living room last week, and dug that CD out to listen to while I painted. Hadn't played it in a while. Truly great stuff.

Mindcrime took a long time for me to like as well. It was more of a production thing than a song thing, though, because when I got the ORIGINAL Operation Livecrime box set back in the early 90s, I played the hell out of that Livecrime CD.

- E.
                      Eric,

While I agree Rage is more definitive QR...I don't think they sounded the same on one album to the next. The EP and Warning sounded similar, but then there's Rage that took them in a vastly different direction, and then onto OMC...which was yet another direction. Empire saw them even more "polished" than Mindcrime, and then on up the chain.
                      They lost me at Promised Land...

And Rich, I know that DeGarmo oversaw that downfall. That's why they're not the same to me after PL. But I think he saw where Geoff and company were heading, and that's when he let his writing fall to the wayside. (IMO)

Comment

I heard MCII a couple of weeks ago, and it was so bad I decided this early copy I heard must have been a demo or scratch tracks that leaked out, so I held off judgement until I heard a real copy. Well, I listened to a real copy on the way to work this morning...IT SUCKS! QR used to be one of my favs. I can't believe people think that MCII is better than Promised Land! Promised Land is great IMO. Everything after PL is junk IMO.

Comment

I've been listening to this all morning. I think it's pretty good. It's growing on me, the more I listen to it the more I like it. I was never a huge QR fan to begin with, MCI and Empire were the only 2 albums I ever bought by them. I think tate sounds pretty good. I alway thought all of their earlier stuff was so cheezy that it was laughable. I still see the video for "Queen of the Ryche" on VHI classic once in a while and I always think "who the f*ck bought into this cheeze ball sh*t?"
                          regardless it's a hell of a lot better than any thing else I've heard lately (except This godless endeavor)
                          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I'm a huge Queensryche fan. I can remember (1985) sitting in my 70 Challenger in the UCI parking lot with the rain pouring down. Alpine tape deck and Kenwood amp, listening to the EP and Warning over and over again, when I should have been in class.

Cheezy? Those songs kicked major ass and they still do. Cookie monster vocals are the cheese whiz they are passing out today.

Comment

i got the record yesterday, and i'm on the fence about it, but i'm hoping it'll grow on me.

Yeah, i agree with some of you guys, no memorable riffs like the original. Silence of the Night, I don't believe in love, Eyes of a Stranger???

I'm hoping this one picks up on me.

But Mindcrime, RFO, and Empire are hard records to beat. Mindcrime and Empire will always slay me.

Comment

I gave up on Metallica and Queensryche to be "quality" metal bands these days..

well, I still had a small glimmer of hope for Queensryche...but that seems bleak from the looks of these remarks so far..but I wasn't expecting much..

It's OK ..there's PLENTY of AWESOME metal bands putting out great stuffl..queensryche were cool back in their day but can't hold to candle to the likes of Nevermore..Brainstorm..Edguy..Nocturnal Rites ..Kamelot ..Dragonforce and countless others IMO..and that's just the "power" metal genre.
                                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                                X