No announcement yet.

Operation LIvecrim 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E do you have any idea how many GREAT prog metal bands and power prog bands that have been out there thry all these years ..that are inspired by QR..

Warrel Dane and Sanctuary and the band Lethal picked up the ball that QR dropped in '90..and they ran with it..and kept on runnin'..never looking back.

Nevermore is VERY QR inspired!

I'm just saying instead of waiting, hoping and wishing for a new "good" QR or Metallica records to come out..because those days are long gone..invest that time checking out countless bands that are now superior to those who got the balls rolling LONG ago..like Pagans Mind, Lanfear, Ion Vein, Shadow Gallery, Circus Maximus ect ...these are a few prog metal bands that are carrying that torch!!

Fates Warning did the same thing with FX, they really dropped the ball..man does it SUCK BALLS!!!
    Last edited by horns666; 04-09-2006, 03:06 PM.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

You guys wanna know something funny, until the second page of this thread, I thought you guys were all talking about Quiet Riot

Comment

Yeah, I thought that too when I was doing the "QR" thing myself!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

QR?
          Never really was a fan of them.
          I had an appreciation for their contribution to the overal metal scene of that day, but they never really stood out enough to me to buy any of their albums/cds. The singer sounded way too much like an opera singer singing metal. A good singer, but wasn't the voice for metal. I kept thinking, is this metal or a new metal opera version being introduced. Either way, I didn't take to QR. The only singers in my mind that pulled of the large vocal range and the occassinal opera scream and still sounded metal, was Halford and Bruce.

80's era? It was a great era but its gone. Its time to move on.
          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

as unpopular as this may sound...i like omc2...its definitely a step in the right direction...maybe not a giant leap but i found it very listenable...d.m.
            http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
              I'd much rather be talking about Rage's new album..you know that German Power Metal band that has been around for over 20+ years just like QR..that always were and still are a "metal" band...

You know RAGE...No, NOT "Rage against the machine" or that ancient QR album "Rage for order"...you know "Rage" the band..with Peavey Wagner, Victor Smolski and Mike Terrana..you know brand new REAL "metal"..hehee..
              You know, I've just picked up my first Rage album, and they kick sooo much arse it's not funny. Strong song-writing, good melodies, great guitar playing, excellent dynamics.

I never really got the "QR" thing either. I used to read about them in the metal mags, and would hear about what an amazing singer Geoff Tate was supposed to be. So when I picked up Rage For Order on cassette, I was fully expecting to be blown away. Twin lead guitars & an incredible vocalist. After repeated listenings I just couldn't get into it. It sounded like meandering pompous wankery to me (the template for prog metal? ). And Tate sounded like an okay rock singer trying to sing opera & show off his range, rather than singing for the song. I still can't put my finger on what about his singing annoyed me most. Maybe it was that overly wide vibrato. Dickinson may have been a technically inferior vocalist, but he still pushed my buttons way better than Tate. I still maintain that Dave Meniketti blew Tate's ass away on the Hear'n'Aid session.
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Rage is awesome..Gary I have all their releases which is alot..waite let me actually count them!!

I have 17 Rage studio releases NOT including their new one..I didn't get it yet..it's coming!!

with 18 great metal cds..why are we NOT talking about this band..

How many "good" QR albums are there..four maybe..

When I heard Tate singing "Stars" without the music..just his voice alone..man it sucked ass IMO!!

I remember "dating" my wife at the time and we were watching the making of "stars" together..we looked at each other and we both said .."that sucks" at the same time..nice hair-do too..

when I read a few years back that he stated he never wanted to be a "Metal" singer or in a metal band..I gave up him entirely..then I heard his solo..in fact my bro-in-law bought it and gave it to me..what a piece of shit!:ROTF:

what a phony fuck..now that "metal" is cool again..I guess it's "safe" to be a "metal" singer again..just STFU and get paid..his voice wasn't all that back then and he's not even half the singer he was..

Better watch what you say in interviews...especially to metalheads..they don't forget that shit..not this metalhead anywhoo!

BTW before it even starts..Fuck Metallica!!

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
                  BTW..Van Halen is dead..:ROTF:
                  Bill, fuck you...fuck you in your devilish ass!!!!!! :ROTF:

Bastard.

Mike
                  Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I'm sorry Mike..:ROTF:

BTW.. Fuck Metallica!!

Comment

I've had it for a few days now and all I can say is .....eh.

First of all, Mindcrime is one of those albums that should be revisited. THat album is on my all time top ten list. It's awesome from front to back with no exceptions.

MCII? it's not their worst release in the past few years. It's great to hear solos again. It's great to hear harmonies in the solos again. It's good to hear them get a little more edgy like in the past. Mike Stone is great on his solos. The problem? Poor writing. Maybe it's that DeGarmo is gone, maybe Tate is not in touch anymore. I don't know. All I know is that this album is not worthy of the Mindcrime name. This album is like the new Dodge Charger. Its a nice car, but not worthy of the namesake.

It's noce to hear the harmonies and all, but honestly, they never should have stopped using them in the first place. It has it's moments. Some really good moments, but it's not even close to Mindcrime.

I'll still pay to go see them. I saw them last time when they did mindcrime live a year ago. If you think doesnt' have it anymore, listen to him do "Take Hold of the Flame" live. He nailed it when I saw him. Even the end.

I'll keep listening and it may get a little better over time, but it will never be as good as Mindcrime.
                      "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Geoff Tate was on Metal Mania last night co-hosting and talking about MCII. I'd like to here if anyone else saw it what they thought.

I saw three QR videos (I might have dozzed off and missed some): "I don't believe in love" "Queen of the Ryche" and "I am an American".

FWIW, I still think the earliest stuff kicks the most ass. "Queen of the Ryche" is just a kick ass tune - period. I still remember seeing the video for the first time many moons ago (like 22 years ago?), and thinking "These guys are fucking awesome!". And for what its worth, I can't remember very much that far back LOL!

Comment

I dug "The Lady Wore Black", I think that was the first tune I heard from them. I also got to see them on the "Warning" tour when they opened for Kiss. Talk about remembering far back...

If you want to check out a lot of their old videos, find a copy of "Building Empires".
                          Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Working...
                          X