X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Norum's solo

this is pretty sweet,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNLvD...h=john%20norum

"There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

I really like his playing a lot...

He has incredible control over the instrument...Very good player.

Thanks for posting that...

Comment

Norum fuggin' ROCKS!!
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

sweet.he is a great player,funny enough i watched the new europe dvd over the weekend with a friend-they all have the same haircuts apart from the drummer!he looks like gary glitter!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have some of his solo stuff... A studio record and a live show from 1997. I have to agree, John is a great player.

He sounded alot like Yngwie on the first Europe record IMO. I don't get that with his later stuff... he sounds more like Gary Moore or Michael Schenker these days.

Comment

first he sounded like Yngwie, then Michael Schenker, then like Gary Moore and John Sykes, then like Eddie Van Halen, then like Geroge Lynch and now he is trying to be Zakk Wylde
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik
              first he sounded like Yngwie, then Michael Schenker, then like Gary Moore and John Sykes, then like Eddie Van Halen, then like Geroge Lynch and now he is trying to be Zakk Wylde
              That's a lot of ground to cover! Hell, I'd take being compared to any of these guys any day

Comment

Yeah..the above is true...In fact I thought that myself..

but it must be nice to cover that kind of ground..

I think John Norum's solo in Don Dokken's Up from the ahes .."crash and burn" was the shit!!!

I have all Norum's solo albums.. some I paid way too much for..oh well, people waste money on much worse things I suppose..

I don't mind wasting good money on good music..at least I still have the stuff and still enjoy it..so I guess that's not "wasted" after all.

I used to smoke two packs of cigs a day..Now THAT'S wasting good money!!
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I thought he and Billy White kicked absolute ass on that Don Dokken solo CD. They were awesome on that tour as well, and he was very good when I saw him on the last Dokken tour he did. Played a Gary Moore Les Paul...

Comment

Very cool...he's a great player.

Comment

His best was on Don Dokken tour.
                      He had great tone too.
                      After that, he has been souding like somebody else like how he does sound like Zakk Wylde these days and playing EMG Equipped Les Paul Customs or Schenker and Van Halen before that.

GREAT player but he seems to lose his own identity every once in a while.

Comment

I did that thing too when I was practicing guitar hard.
                        I took one player I liked and concentraded on his style and tryed to nail his style to the T (tone, phrasing, vibrato, licks, melodies etc.)
                        One month it was Billy Gibbons, next month Steve Vai, then George Lynch, then Yngwie....Al Di Meola.... Steve Morse....Eddie Van Halen....Stevie Ray Vaughan... Warren Demartini...John Sykes.....Gary Moore.....Nuno.....Gilmour....and so on.
                        or something like that.

I took out the best parts that I liked and made my own style.
                        I think John should have done something like that not changing his style so often, but he is a great player and the solo he does on the vid I posted is kinda similar to my style of playing.

Comment

Wasn't he the original guitarist in Europe on their Wings of Tomorrow album?
                          If so... I thought he sounded the best then.

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyjacksonman
                            His best was on Don Dokken tour.
                            He had great tone too.
                            I think he was using a Cameron modded Hiwatt at that point....

Comment

i have the latest europe CD and it is pretty good. i don't listen to it much, but i like it.
                              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X