Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Gilmour - On An Island

One word: WOW.

Just amazing, truly amazing. You can definitly hear what band he got famous in, but then again I was kind of hoping it'd sound like that.

The way the songs actually make you feel like you're on a tropical island, alone or with two on a beautiful night under the stars just laying on the beach is really masterful!

And now of course probably the most important thing to say when Gilmour is involved; the tasty playing and the TONE! M-i-n-d-b-l-o-w-i-n-g!

"The Blue" is my favorite song on the album, because it does everything I said above the best. And man that sound....just goes to show you don't need to shred obscure, exotic scales at 32nd notes @ 300bpm to be an absolute GuitarGOD!
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

I had high hopes....
    the playing is out of this world, genius solos
    the tone is awsome
    the album cover is cool as hell
    but most of the songs are....well...booring
    maybe it grows on me
    I try to listen to it a couple of more times.

He needs Roger Waters badly
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Well that's interesting, I actually wanted to put in my original post: "Goes to show Gilmour doesn't need Waters at all for a (thematic) album". :s
      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I haven't heard the whole thing yet, just parts my friend played me. He likes it overall but does find it a bit boring.

I still can't believe Gilmore passed on touring with Waters as Floyd for a guaranteed $250 million! I mean he's going to tour anyway with this new record, but wants to concentrate on his new stuff. I can somewhat understand to want to promote your new music...wait, no...I can't understand with that kind of moola being offered!
        My friend also has the G8 DVDs with Floyd's set and they sounded killer, which is almost like twisting the knife that they're not touring.
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

hell with all the money he made with floyd he dont need 250 million.he`s got a damn boat for a studio!i think hes just proving that he can do it without waters or just to avoid floyd totally.either way he`s great.

Comment

Didn't he just give away a bunch of his property, like a castle or something? Pretty sure I read that recently. I don't think he's a materialistic guy, and he wants to focus on his own creative endeavors rather than relive the past for other peoples' enjoyment. I respect him for it, but I don't know if I could do the same. I'd sure like the chance to find out!

Comment

Working...
            X