Zappa/Vai '82

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zappa/Vai '82

I was checking for Mike Keneally stuff and ran across this awesome vid of Zappa & Vai doing an all instrumental version of Stevie's Spanking from 7/82. Cool on a lot of levels. Both are playing floyded strats! Check out Vai's shorts... :ROTF: I forgot how short people used to wear them back then!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5ORGWfJiTI&search=Zappa

Some of the wankiest playing i've heard. Aint it cool!

Thanks alot for the video.

Comment

Cool find!

Comment

omg, this is fucking awsome

this pretty much shows who was the real Steve's teacher and where he got the idea to use the lydian mode all the time
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

thats cool....i love ZAPPA,,,what a killer look back in time. check out the vid for city of tiny lights on that page too...you'll love it , its a way of life
          MOSH ON
          DAVE
          "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Great video! Thanks for sharing. Vai's shorts and shirt kill me. LOL

Comment

i like frank's playing better!!! still cool though!
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

awesome. zappa is the best!

Comment

I saw that tour - 22 June 1982 in Hamburg germany - still got the ticket.

Frank was the best!

Comment

Frank Zappa was a true genius, both in his wrtiting and his choice of musicians. And yeah, people remember Vai in that band but forget Frank could tear up a guitar himself! His son Dweezil isw no slouch but sadly doesn't seem to have the spark his dad had. Taken from us far too young; RIP Frank, and thanks for the insanity!
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik
                      omg, this is fucking awsome

this pretty much shows who was the real Steve's teacher and where he got the idea to use the lydian mode all the time
                      You ain't kidding. Those Carvin X100B's didn't sound too bad either (if thats what they were using). Zappa was a musical genius and a hell of a guitar player but watching him blow away Vai in feel, tone and technique is just mind blowing.

Comment

"broken hearts are for ASSholes" is my earliest Via/zappa memory. From an MTV concert.

Comment

I have this video, but I know more or, I will seek it. Of remembering it's in documentary.

Yes zappa is the best, it's a true genius .... but Steve vai and Mike Keneally are too

Arno.

Comment

:ROTF: It's too funny when Steve spits on the cigarette end of Frank :ROTF:

Arno

Comment

Vai was, what, 20 years old when this was recorded? He has grown amazingly as a player since then. Zappa pretty much owned him in this performance. Of course, I'm biased because Frank is one of my alltime musical heroes and favorite guitarists.

To me, Zappa never played as well or sounded as good on Strats as he did on Gibsons, and I've always been a much bigger fan of his late '70s playing, versus his stuff from the '82 and '84 tours. To hear a much more intense performance by Frank on his old Gibby SG, check out this live vid of "Suicide Chump" from 1978:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

By the way, Frank used a much more complex guitar rig live than just a Carvin X100B. Typically, he routed his signal through both very distorted and very clean setups simultaneously to give his playing both that scary snarl and a lot of definition at the same time. In fact, he was pretty much the first guy to run a 'rig' using high fidelity gear, back in the early '70s.
                              Last edited by pro-fusion; 04-12-2006, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X