Zappa/Vai '82

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jgcable
    You ain't kidding. Those Carvin X100B's didn't sound too bad either (if thats what they were using). Zappa was a musical genius and a hell of a guitar player but watching him blow away Vai in feel, tone and technique is just mind blowing.
    before joining the Zappa, Steve had problems with tone and feel and whatnot, he could play Zeppelins riffs and shred like a motherfucker, he was very advanced jazz/fusion player but he had something missing. He was technically always better than Frank, but Frank taught him how to be musical.

It's always very interesting to hear that most of the folks say that Steve sounds like Satriani because Satch taught him.
    Instead of reading the biography people should listen to the music more
    Actually there isn't so much Satriani in Steve's playing, Satch taught him the scales and some licks and whatnot.
    But Steve sounds exactly like Frank Zappa + Eddie Van Halen.
    All the melodic lines, licks, chord progressions, whacky-funny tricks etc. are all from Zappa and Eddie.
    And of corse all the eastern/oriental and European traditional music influences
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik
      before joining the Zappa, Steve had problems with tone and feel and whatnot, he could play Zeppelins riffs and shred like a motherfucker, he was very advanced jazz/fusion player but he had something missing. He was technically always better than Frank, but Frank taught him how to be musical.

It's always very interesting to hear that most of the folks say that Steve sounds like Satriani because Satch taught him.
      Instead of reading the biography people should listen to the music more
      Actually there isn't so much Satriani in Steve's playing, Satch taught him the scales and some licks and whatnot.
      But Steve sounds exactly like Frank Zappa + Eddie Van Halen.
      All the melodic lines, licks, chord progressions, whacky-funny tricks etc. are all from Zappa and Eddie.
      And of corse all the eastern/oriental and European traditional music influences
      I agree again.

Comment

I agree on all counts..man I seen that footage when it came out and had "Them or us" on Vinyl...Steve and Dweez trade off...

I think I like Dweez's style more than his dad's..it's polished and spot on VH...and I like that!!

Dweez should just join VH and call it a day..he's perfect for the gig we don't need Ed anymore..he's burnt and tired..Dweez is full of fire, spunk and piss and vinegar and more than happy to so I'd assume!!
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Zappa plays Zappa tour starts in May

They have Dweezil, Steve Vai and even Terry Bozzio, also many guests.
          This will be a sickass virtuoso parad.

Bill, maybe you like Dweezil more because he is a real 80's shredder who was influenced by Eddie and Warren DeMartini, Frank's roots are from modern classical composers, avant-garde, jazz and prog rock.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik

Bill, maybe you like Dweezil more because he is a real 80's shredder who was influenced by Eddie and Warren DeMartini, Frank's roots are from modern classical composers, avant-garde, jazz and prog rock.
            Yes Exactly E...he has Ed NAILED..better than Ed these days...I heard him do "Unchained"..it was spot on..I heard him do other VH covers..and he never dissappoints at all!!

He's the best Ed clone I ever heard,,he worshipped Ed all his life..more than his dad and Steve..
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
              Dweez should just join VH and call it a day..he's perfect for the gig we don't need Ed anymore..he's burnt and tired..Dweez is full of fire, spunk and piss and vinegar and more than happy to so I'd assume!!
              Actually, Dweezil just started getting into playing again after a long layoff. In an interview in Relix magazine, he says that the whole grunge/anti-player thing bummed him out and he pretty much gave it up for awhile. He's currently preparing to tour Europe in a big ensemble (including Vai) that will play Frank's music. Dweezil says that it's taken him a long time to learn how to play like Frank, because Frank had such weird technique. Dweezil has also started to take more control of the process of releasing his dad's archival material.

As far as him joining VH, that would be great--just get Chad Wackerman on drums and Scott Thunes on bass, and you'd pretty much have an all-Zappa version of VH that would blow the original away, regardless of who was upfront caterwauling and doing karate kicks.

Comment

That was just awesome... I always knew Frank was good, but this is the first time I've actualy seen him play like that.
                You can totaly hear Frank's "sound" in Steve's playing today.
                -Rick

Comment

You can definitely see where Steve got his style from... Heck, he was pretty well developed even back then, save for the more "modern" stuff you here him doing these days (sweeping, fast picking, etc...). The basic "Vaisms" where already there.

Frank played great, but I thought he was a little sloppy in spots. Having said that, he could play circles around me with one hand tied behind his back. Steve was alot cleaner IMO.

Comment

I just bought tickets for the Dweeze 22 May 2006 Berlin, germany, concert. ... saw him with his brother, Mike Keneally and Scott Thunes maybe ten years ago in a very small venue in Germany ... it´ll be great to hear him play his fathers music ... by the way, for all Dweeze fans: check him out in the 80´s song "Heartbeat" by Don Johnson. I think he´s also in the video. I have no clue how that came together ... maybe they met when Frank played in Miami Vice ....

Comment

Working...
                    X