Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shawn Lane - must freaking see this !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NextInLine
    The first video was really amazing while the second was really boring I'm going to check some stuff from him, thanks for sharing...

Well, yeah, the first clip is just scorching in tone and feel.....

The second is just an all out assault a typical test the guitar out wank fest - not designed to show what he was all about - although the Hendrixy tones are just awesome....

Also - I've got the "Powers of Ten" Live disc reffered to above, it's just awesome.

Steve E

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
      The only Jazz/fusion/shred stuff at the moment is Spastic Ink which is Ron Jarzombek of Watchtower he's nuts...some Batio stuff , MacAlpines Cab/Planet X, Petrucci's Liguid Tension stuff, and a few other things..ummmm..Allan Holdsworth "metal Fatigue" and Frank Gambale's "eye of the storm"..that's pretty much it ..

I was alot more into fusion some while back when I was cutting my teeth on bass..I'm a good jazz/funk/fusion bassist..I had alot of that vinyl..But I'm just strictly a metal hack guitar player..it just worked out that way.
      Jarzombek's a monster--never got into the Watchtower vocals, but I've loved everything else I've heard by him, especially his solo albums.

The Lane/Hellborg stuff is a little more atmospheric and improv-oriented than any of the music you've listed. Apart from the Michael Schrieve album, all of them were live recordings. Amazingly, that band (a three-piece) would go onstage with no setlist and do a totally improvised gig with only a couple of set pieces to fall back on if the improvs weren't catching fire. I wish Hellborg would release recordings of more of their gigs, which I recall him saying he was going to do. Since you're a bassist, you'll probably love this stuff--Hellborg got lots of room to stretch out, since Lane was just as happy creating atmospheric stuff for Hellborg to solo over as he was shredding away himself.

BTW, you can get Powers of Ten Live, The TriTone Fascination, and also a cd-r burn of Powers of Ten directly from Shawn's family at www.shawnlane.com

Comment

Ron Jarzombek along with Danny Carey are the only drummers in years who have done something fresh in metal.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik
          Ron Jarzombek along with Danny Carey are the only drummers in years who have done something fresh in metal.
          No, Ron Jarzombek is a guitarist. His brother Bobby Jarzombek is the monster drummer in the family. Jeez, pretty good music genes in that family!!

Comment

uhh yeah, Bobby, he has that Spastik thing, of the wall prog-metal-fusion stuff, pretty cool
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I didn't know that Ron, the gtr player was in Spastic Ink, my friend who is a badass drummer showed me some of that stuff becasuse of the Bobby's drumming, my pal isn't usually impressed of metal drummers at all, we both find that this guy is definetly a monster

Comment

Man... I DUG THAT! I can't believe after playing guitar for over 15 years that I have never heard him. I'm amazed. I thought I knew it all. All the Batio/Rusty Cooley type guysOnce again... the JCFrs have made me ohhhh soooo smarter. Now.. Whre can I pick some of this stuff up! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion
                  Jarzombek's a monster--never got into the Watchtower vocals, but I've loved everything else I've heard by him, especially his solo albums.

The Lane/Hellborg stuff is a little more atmospheric and improv-oriented than any of the music you've listed. Apart from the Michael Schrieve album, all of them were live recordings. Amazingly, that band (a three-piece) would go onstage with no setlist and do a totally improvised gig with only a couple of set pieces to fall back on if the improvs weren't catching fire. I wish Hellborg would release recordings of more of their gigs, which I recall him saying he was going to do. Since you're a bassist, you'll probably love this stuff--Hellborg got lots of room to stretch out, since Lane was just as happy creating atmospheric stuff for Hellborg to solo over as he was shredding away himself.

BTW, you can get Powers of Ten Live, The TriTone Fascination, and also a cd-r burn of Powers of Ten directly from Shawn's family at www.shawnlane.com
                  Damn, Thanks again man..I been spending so much cash trying to catch up on all this new metal stuff coming out..it's impossible..I think I need to stretch my horizons a bit..I miss playing bass..I need to buy one and start going nuts again..it's fun. That's why I like the fusion stuff, all the fusion bassists are monsters..I followed that scene pretty heavily in the late 80's..I need to get back in it.!!

I wrote down the stuff you mentioned..it's on "the list"..it's actually about 10 notebook pages worth..yeesh..I can't get enough great music..I'm completely obsessed

well, that's all I do these days really..not much else besides being a "no life" member here..

Take care

Hey E..what up wit choo..
                  Last edited by horns666; 04-25-2006, 12:43 AM.
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I wrote down the stuff you mentioned..it's on "the list"..it's actually about 10 notebook pages worth..yeesh..I can't get enough great music..I'm completely obsessed
                    I know what you mean. I've been buying cds at a crazy clip lately--got to slow down if I want to have money for gear!

I've got wacky eclectic tastes. I think I scare my upstairs/downstairs neighbors by going from Opeth to Coltrane to Beethoven. Of course, they're right, I AM crazy...
                    Last edited by pro-fusion; 04-25-2006, 09:44 AM.

Comment

He flipped me out when I went to see Black Oak on a whim.. here's this guy.. same age as me just playing some incredible stuff on a Les Paul Jr. He definitely left me with some good memories back in the day.

Check out when he was 16-17.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                      Last edited by charvelguy; 04-25-2006, 09:15 AM.

Comment

I've got wacky eclectic tastes. I think I scare my upstairs/downstairs neighbors by going from Opeth to Coltrane to Beethoven. Of course, they're right, I AM crazy... [/quote]

Me too kinda..well I love all metal as long as it's got some musical value to it..Classical always ruled..and jazz/fusion has it's place in my heart too..

ummm..that's pretty much it...but that covers alot of ground right there..

My wife told me my next Century Media is on her for my birthday..that works for me!
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

My wife told me my next Century Media is on her for my birthday..that works for me!
                          Dude, with as many Century Media albums as you buy, you ought to be getting a piece of the company, or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik
                            You need to check Yanic Bercier of Quo Vadis! if ya wanna really get blown away, check out Richards Christy's w/ (Burning Inside) Eve of the Entities!! Whats the name of that song when he was younger??
                            I love admins!

Comment

Working...
                            X